marco polo x cloned sheep

In Texas, there are ranches that are breeding Big Horn genetics into a 7/8 pure BH for an affordable alternative to free-range BH which goes north of $50k with limited opportunities. By now they are probably already one generation closer but as someone on here always says about the Wooley, it'll never be 100% pure.

If that same rancher would've just put a Black lives mater sign up or went into his hometown and burnt down the hardware store the Feds would've looked the other way.

North American Bighorns seem to be susceptible to pneumonia and other diseases that Deer and Elk have became immune to. With native herds of Bighorn in Montana that was first mistake he should've sent DNA to Texas for his project, not sure how he'll propagate the Marco Polo.
A Basque Sheep herder told a friend of mine in the Wallowas here in Oregon Bighorn Rams would breed domestic sheep and ewe would get pregnant but when she lambed the lamb was dead.

Well boys I may myself be in a little hot water after reading the responses on this, as I am 1/4 this and1/8th that as in Cherokee, English and French and a splash of IRISH, and i have a few cross bred up donkeys and horses, 'mules' , and have been breeding up jack-a-lopes here for years, and can offer some amazing trophy hunts for the same, just saying.

IMG_0251-728x546.jpg
download.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well boys I may myself be in a little hot water after reading the responses on this, as I am 1/4 this and1/8th that as in Cherokee, English and French and a splash of IRISH, and i have a few cross bred up donkeys and horses, 'mules' , and have been breeding up jack-a-lopes here for years, and can offer some amazing trophy hunts for the same, just saying.

View attachment 593090View attachment 593091
Wow, those are some nice jackalopes. You oughta have them scored by SCI, B&C and/or maybe Guiness for their book of World Records?

Í'm a fan of our native sheep. But, sometimes they seem like a very fragile species and it's a constant struggle to even maintain their populations. I'm in no way saying this is right, but I have selfishly wondered if we'd just be better off importing asian sheep and ibex....

I’d love some plentiful and hardy not quite but mostly bighorn sheep. Maybe then I could actually afford to hunt one.

Unfortunate for the old rancher…

Brings to mind old military training about OPSEC (operational security for the non acronym folk) and keeping information on a need to know only basis. Like the old WWII posters- Loose Lips Sink Ships.

Probably should have kept his experimental hybrids top secret, attribute the horns to something else….. but then again hindsight is always 20/20

Í'm a fan of our native sheep. But, sometimes they seem like a very fragile species and it's a constant struggle to even maintain their populations. I'm in no way saying this is right, but I have selfishly wondered if we'd just be better off importing asian sheep and ibex....
I’ve always loved our native sheep. But keeping small populations alive is starting to look a bit like an exercise in futility. I’ve often wondered if we wouldn’t be better off just kicking a bunch of aoudad or ibex or argali from the gobi desert loose here in AZ and give up on the desert bighorns.

I’ve always loved our native sheep. But keeping small populations alive is starting to look a bit like an exercise in futility. I’ve often wondered if we wouldn’t be better off just kicking a bunch of aoudad or ibex or argali from the gobi desert loose here in AZ and give up on the desert bighorns.
Our Aoudad are doing wonderfully in West Texas. Fabulous free range hunt.

They really aren't that fragile. The problem is the overlapping or proximity of ranges with domestic sheep.

I truly believe we will have the disease part figured out in the next 20 years.

In Texas, there are ranches that are breeding Big Horn genetics into a 7/8 pure BH for an affordable alternative to free-range BH which goes north of $50k with limited opportunities. By now they are probably already one generation closer but as someone on here always says about the Wooley, it'll never be 100% pure.

I know there are Bighorn genetics crossed with Mouflon in a few places.

They really aren't that fragile. The problem is the overlapping or proximity of ranges with domestic sheep.

I dont think there is any scientific evidence for that old diagnosis, THE FISH AND GAME in my state go out andn tag, and or move sheep to new ranges and then come back in a week or two and proclaim oh they have pneumonia ,must be some of those darn domestic sheep out here, so they fly out a helicopter and slaughter 30 or n40 and cure the problem. any rancher will tell you stress on calves, or sheep will induce pneumonia, that is a proven fact. Im willing to look at all evidence.

I dont think there is any scientific evidence for that old diagnosis, THE FISH AND GAME in my state go out andn tag, and or move sheep to new ranges and then come back in a week or two and proclaim oh they have pneumonia ,must be some of those darn domestic sheep out here, so they fly out a helicopter and slaughter 30 or n40 and cure the problem. any rancher will tell you stress on calves, or sheep will induce pneumonia, that is a proven fact. Im willing to look at all evidence.
Shipping fever is a well documented disease in livestock.

I'm not 100% sure I understand, are you stating that Movi is spread due to stress and not because of contact with domestic sheep? And are you saying that there is no scientific diagnosis that Movi is spread via contact with domestic sheep?

Not saying this to argue, I dont believe a single biologist with what they have told me regarding CWD. Asking more to do my own research.

I'm not 100% sure I understand, are you stating that Movi is spread due to stress and not because of contact with domestic sheep? And are you saying that there is no scientific diagnosis that Movi is spread via contact with domestic sheep?

Not saying this to argue, I dont believe a single biologist with what they have told me regarding CWD. Asking more to do my own research.
I am saying Ive not seen any science ,biology research proving the spread is caused by domestic sheep. While it is commonly stated they do, show me the evidence, Dall sheep in the brooks range of Alaska have died from m. ovi and have absolutely no contact with domestic sheep. ON the flip side stress can cause pneumonia . Running wild sheep down in a helicopter, netting them ,collaring them taking blood samples , flying them 3o miles in frigid air, releasing them away from there herd, yea that causes stress, there are over 100 different bacteria species of this disease. ITS like saying wolves only kill old sick animals, say it enough it becomes a fact to those who like that equation. do domestic sheep carry, m. ovi you bet., some do.

Curious on your reasoning or knowledge regarding what makes you think the disease part will get figured out over the next 20 years? I kinda figured disease would be the end of things personally. Not asking in some sort of smart way just curious on your perspective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A Rosenth

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you