Mannlichering a G33/40

Dude, you have got to be the most talented guy I've ever seen. If this isn't what you do for a living it damn sure should be. Oh what would I give for one of you rifle builds. I enjoy gunsmithing and actually just finished a rifle I built ( first build I've done ) but it certainly isn't half as awesome as the guns you build. Mine is a modern distance shooter using prefab parts that I had to do some modifying to to achieve the accuracy I wanted. Point being, it's one thing to throw some parts together but what you do is on a whole other level of talent. You have an unbelievable eye for classic styling and the talent to bring your art to life. Yes, art, as at the end of the day a beautifully built rifle is exactly that. Cheers to you sir.

I am retired so this is just what I do for enjoyment. Mostly I started to do my own as my wants far exceeded my gun fund (many years ago when young family took presidence) and I was fortunate in my upbringing in that my fathers oft repeated homily was that "the ability to do comes with doing" so rather than lamenting the limited funds, I had a try at doing this for myself and found that not only did I enjoy it, but the result was reasonably exceptable, so I started to look for rescue rifles to continue the learning . Has been an interesting and rewarding process.

I am retired so this is just what I do for enjoyment. Mostly I started to do my own as my wants far exceeded my gun fund (many years ago when young family took presidence) and I was fortunate in my upbringing in that my fathers oft repeated homily was that "the ability to do comes with doing" so rather than lamenting the limited funds, I had a try at doing this for myself and found that not only did I enjoy it, but the result was reasonably exceptable, so I started to look for rescue rifles to continue the learning . Has been an interesting and rewarding process.
well sir I can tell you that you have a gift and are damn good at it.

Here's the rifle I built.
image.jpeg
I rebarreled it with a heavy barrel, installed a timney trigger, pulled the bolt apart and upgraded it then squared the bolt face. I bought the stock then relieved around the aluminum bedding points and glass bedded the action. Installed a new high horsepower scope on a 20 MOA rail. Added the accessories and viola. Distance rig. Not near the same quality of craftsmanship you have in your rifles but I was very happy with the outcome and it's a tack driving machine. I still want to cerakote it but it shoots really well. Still working on the break in of the barrel but man it's accurate and getting more accurate with every shot. The barrel is fully floated and action bedded.

I have never done anything with the synthetic stocks (except sell them on when I have bought a rifle with one on that is) but apreciate what they can do for the long range game. Any gun tinkering is a matter of knowledge and skill so your rifle is still up there in the care that was taken to get it done and way more than many would attempt. The one I did for myself that was meant to ring the most accuracy out of the cartridge was a rem xr 100 that I had chambered for the 20 VarTarg and stocked in plain well grained walnut. With a 4-16 monarch on it I was able to get mostly into the .2's and a best group at .084 so it lived up to my expectations and gave me first time hits on rabbits to 350meters. Can no longer get prone with it but over a standing bog pod I stll get a decent bag of bunnies when I take it for a walk.

Thank you for the compliment. I worked hard on it. Do you happen to have pics of that rifle? This one is a 300 wm and is a savage action. I actually took a Catalina with it a couple of weeks ago. One of the billies at my place broke a horn completely off at the base of his skull so I culled him. It wasn't a far shot, 150 yards, but hit him exactly where I wanted to as he started to try and run off into the canyon. It was a really really cool feeling to take something with a rifle I built.

I have a couple of other rifles I want to rebuild and one in particular that I want to put in a wood stock. After markets aren't available so I would have to make the stock myself, which as a thought, sounds really fun. Problem being I have no clue where to start building a stock.

I'm a bit of a tinker when it comes to Rifles and find that Savage is a great platform to work with, the modular bolt system they use make an EZ conversion and the screw on barrel makes it a fairly simple mod. A fellow rifle lover who I met thru a local Gun Forum voluntered his time and equipment to help me do my first Barrel swap with was a 22" 243 sporter to a 28" Heavy match barrel in 223, the next was a 308 to 7mm-08 to and a 30-06 to a 338-06 I used Apache Arms barrels in Heavy sporters, being these are mostly range guns I opted for the heavier barrels as the stay a lot cooler, I stayed with wood stocks as it's my preference but bedded and pillered them. I found I could easily Mod the factory trigger with a little filing and polishing the result was a nice 2# break. Savages are good performers but the addition to an upgrade in barrel really made them the most accurate rifles I own.

Do you happen to have pics of that rifle?
It was a really really cool feeling to take something with a rifle I built.

This was it in the thumhole stock that the XR came in and while it was good off the bench and on stationary shoots it was a bit cumberson to carry as a walking varminter so got in a nice plain blank.

For this

It shoots very well

and of course there has to be a skite group

Attachments

• 002_zpsstkydevy.jpg
    002_zpsstkydevy.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 177
  • 003_zps50ke6bcu.jpg
    003_zps50ke6bcu.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 164
  • bipod and butpod_zpsi0otttev.jpg
    bipod and butpod_zpsi0otttev.jpg
    439.1 KB · Views: 160
  • sights and 20 VT 003_zpsjfyrbti3.jpg
    sights and 20 VT 003_zpsjfyrbti3.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 133
Last edited by a moderator:
Have got the buttstock about finished with rough shaping although I want to raise the bottom front edge of the cheekiece a good 1/2 in yet and have the forestock close to what it will be.

Attachments

• DSCN0051_zpsdhea1whl-2.jpg
    DSCN0051_zpsdhea1whl-2.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 146
  • DSCN0051_zpsdhea1whl.jpg
    DSCN0051_zpsdhea1whl.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 132
Not my style but this is to be a replica of the original BSA stock apart from the whiteline spacers

I will be delivering these two rifles to their owner tomorrow when I am back up that way to see the gunsmith on another matter

There was also a little BSA 22 that needed repair to this side of the forearm and completly re-finished

Next up (I hope) is to be a 318 Westly Richards in the 1920's - 1930's Rigby style.

Attachments

• DSCN0107_zpsdld5gpbv.jpg
    DSCN0107_zpsdld5gpbv.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCN0109_zpsrrydksur.jpg
    DSCN0109_zpsrrydksur.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCN0110_zpsr3jdeofb.jpg
    DSCN0110_zpsr3jdeofb.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 149
That one is going to be a reasonably slow build Stu as the guy pays as he can get the funds together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SibylLasse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,