Mannlicher-Schoenauer, history, models, performance, features, storys

A
Hemingway and his Thompson Submachine Gun (he lked to shoot sharks with it):
View attachment 367242

John Huston holding Mannlicher Schoenauer as Bogart and Bacall look on (during filming of The African Queen):

View attachment 367245

Cleaning time:
View attachment 367246

Clint Eastwood holding MS in film about Huston filming The African Queen:
View attachment 367252

Eli Wallach with MS in The Brain:
View attachment 367253
A nice battery being cleaned by John Huston .

A
Hemingway and his Thompson Submachine Gun (he lked to shoot sharks with it):
View attachment 367242

John Huston holding Mannlicher Schoenauer as Bogart and Bacall look on (during filming of The African Queen):

View attachment 367245

Cleaning time:
View attachment 367246

Clint Eastwood holding MS in film about Huston filming The African Queen:
View attachment 367252

Eli Wallach with MS in The Brain:
View attachment 367253
A nice battery being cleaned by John Huston

These are some of my favorite rifles. I've never been able to find one that were the right combo of price, condition, I could afford. The closest thing I have is a new production Steyr pro hunter that is still made with the butter knife bolt handle. Huhh... Someday

Not exactly Mannlicher, but relevant. According to legend, L. Brezhnev liked Mannlicher so much that he asked Tula gunsmiths to make a replica. They developed a replica "based on" - their own bolt, but the overall design, the design of the rotary magazine, and some other features-like Mannlicher's
https://guns.allzip.org/topic/187/2167892.html

Interesting.

Here are some pics of my MS . It is a 1952 Model but made in 1954 . It has the proper MS factory scope mount . Scope is a Kahles 2.5-7x . Calibre is the great 30/06. It is a Stutzen with 20” barrel . Has a lot of very Germanic engraving featuring lots of oak leaves , a buffalo and a pig ( not my taste ) but it came with the rifle . I use 180gr pills through this rifle . I have hunted red stag ( for a trophy) and red deer for meat . The hunts were in very hilly terrain behind Brisbane . It is a nice light rifle to hump about .

IMG_3290.jpeg
IMG_3291.jpeg
IMG_3292.jpeg
IMG_3294.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
...Starting with the 1952 model, Steyr changed the design of the trigger set up for use doble or single trigger with a very simple change of the trigger plate and trigger itself. So, single or double triggers sets can be bought at Steyr to change the one in the rifle...

MS 1900 Rifle.jpg

Original M1900 military design.

MS 3511_83_52-mannlicher-schoenauer DST.jpg

MS Sporting Rifle, Pre WW2, double set trigger.

MS American Rifleman.jpg

M1903, exploded view (with DST).

MS DST 1954 Stoeger.jpg

Stoeger, 1954.

MS DST 1957.jpg

Stoeger, 1957.

MS DST M1903.jpg

M1903 double set trigger.

MS ST39 52.jpg

MS ST39 51 Mannlicher Schoenauer details parts plus.jpg

Parts: Stoeger, 1939.

Interesting.
Here is the rotary magazine. The body is made of Ergal type alloy.

I don't know how compatible this store is with the real MS. Those carbines also had seats for optics, similar to some kind of MS model.

5584880.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently bought a Mannlicher 458 (right here on AH) because Richard Harland used one in the Tsete Fly corridor to kill thousands of elephants and I'd never heard of Mannlicher-Schoenauer. Have yet to shoot it. My hope is to take the Big 5 with at after finishing taking the Big 5 with my .475 No. 2 Jeffery double- I'm only lacking a leopard now. Hopefully I can pull it off. We shall see. Boy the action sure is sweet.

Mine truely is not. I rather think it is a kind of palett wood. I just oiled it with "Schaftol", something like Ballistol, to waterprotect stocks.
I did not wanted to paint a pig, redleg would say.

HWL
Schaftol actually is a oil that hardens, lt is a actual stock finish. I use it a lot, myself.

So, I have a question, my 9x56ms is unmounted and I am starting to have problems seeing the sights, how much sacrilege is it to mount a scope to it?

I recently bought a Mannlicher 458 (right here on AH) because Richard Harland used one in the Tsete Fly corridor to kill thousands of elephants and I'd never heard of Mannlicher-Schoenauer.

That .458 MS Magnum is a rare fish.

That is akin to having never heard of a Duesenberg, yet purchasing a Supercharged SSJ Model.

MS Stoeger Magnum 1958.jpg

MS Stoeger 1958 Magnum Action.jpg

Stoeger, 1958.

MS Stoeger Magnum 1961.jpg

Stoeger, 1961.

Brother if I could afford a Dozzie I'd buy one for sure!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roll_the_Knob!

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.