Managing Recoil

I see guys on videos (some even have been posted here) able to shoot big bores like a .458 Lott or .505 Gibbs and get off 4 rounds as fast as they can rack the bolt because their recoil management skills make it look like they are shooting a .30-06. .................

I'd like to see the target they were hitting as a demo of that recoil management.

Were they banging quick shots off and hitting something or just banging shots off.
Got a link?

I'd like to see the target they were hitting as a demo of that recoil management.

Were they banging quick shots off and hitting something or just banging shots off.
Got a link?
Yeah this was posted by CTDolan

Thats some good shooting.... Im really impressed with the 470 Merkel.

Thats some good shooting.... Im really impressed with the 470 Merkel.
Yeah I can definitely see why the double is a favored backup gun. Unless of course you need three shots.

Yeah I can definitely see why the double is a favored backup gun. Unless of course you need three shots.
if you cant sort the situation out in two shots you will most probably not sort it out with 3 either.

if you cant sort the situation out in two shots you will most probably not sort it out with 3 either.
Three bullets is three chances to stop something from crushing or mauling you. While it may be true most of the time that two shots is more than adequate, there are those rare situations where three or more shots have saved someone, or a lack of three shots has cost someone dearly. in 1928, PH William Judd was killed by an elephant that his .577 NE failed to stop in 2 rounds. His son killed it with a single .350 Rigby from his rifle, but it was too late.

But you have to take my opinion with a grain of salt. Someday soon I hope to hunt Africa, but I haven't yet. The only dangerous game I have hunted is bear.

As they say about Africa hunting, an ounce of "been there" outweighs two tons of "read about it."

Three bullets is three chances to stop something from crushing or mauling you. While it may be true most of the time that two shots is more than adequate, there are those rare situations where three or more shots have saved someone, or a lack of three shots has cost someone dearly. in 1928, PH William Judd was killed by an elephant that his .577 NE failed to stop in 2 rounds. His son killed it with a single .350 Rigby from his rifle, but it was too late.

But you have to take my opinion with a grain of salt. Someday soon I hope to hunt Africa, but I haven't yet. The only dangerous game I have hunted is bear.

As they say about Africa hunting, an ounce of "been there" outweighs two tons of "read about it."
look in my opinion there is almost never time for a third shot on any charging animal! rather wait and make the shots you have count!

Since it's come up, here's good example of a situation which would've likely ended differently (and not in a good way), had the PH been carrying a bolt gun.

With regard to the video, one comment (not wanting to drag the post off topic, but it must be mentioned), in my opinion the PH, Mark Sullivan, was wanting to draw a charge for the camera. If not then why, when approaching the buff from behind, when it was clear that the buff was not down for the count, did he not drill another into the bull? The buff got on his feet quick, no doubt, but still...

With regard to the video, one comment (not wanting to drag tst off topic, but it must be mentioned), in my opinion the PH, Mark Sullivan, was wanting to draw a charge for the camera. If not then why, when approaching the buff from behind, when it was clear that the buff was not down for the count, did he not drill another into the bull? The buff got on his feet quick, no doubt, but still...
Yeah he definitely took his sweet time finishing that buffalo. And if he was expecting a charge... He had lot's of time to move away for a finishing shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg