Mama leopard teaches her cub the art of python hunting

Hoas

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Thought to also share this with you guys

Leopards are not fussy when it comes to prey choice. These predators will take on everything from porcupines to other cats – and even snakes if it's worth the effort. While on safari in South Africa's Greater Kruger National Park last year, a group of tourists was lucky enough to witness a mother leopard and her cub taking on a massive southern African rock python in a nail-biting battle.

The tourists were on an early morning game drive when they first spotted the female feline resting in the treetops. After descending to reunite with her cub in a brief bonding session, the leopard relaxed while the youngster went off to explore – and it wasn't long before something in the undergrowth caught its attention.

African rock pythons might be among the continent's largest snakes, but they often remain concealed in thick bushes or trees, making them tricky to spot. Even after the cub had sniffed out this four-metre giant, the safari guests and their guide were still struggling to identify it.

The cub-snake commotion soon caught the attention of the adult leopard, and she moved in to investigate – and it's a good thing the youngster got some backup. Armed with sharp, backward-curving teeth, these constrictors can inflict serious bites and are strong enough to take down fully grown antelope. Adults can weigh in at over 90 kilograms, and this hissing specimen was not far off that. Still, leopards are bold predators that are more than capable of tackling larger meals.

Although the final outcome wasn't captured on camera, reports from the sighting indicate that the cats eventually came out on top. According to the visitor who filmed the encounter, the mother leopard used the hunt as an opportunity to teach her cub a thing or two about snake hunting: "After vanquishing the foe, [the mother leopard] come around behind the cub, who sat intently watching the whole time, and gently pushed [it] towards the carcass. Very tentatively, [it] reached out a paw with claws extended to touch the beast."

Here's the full clip:

Source: http://www.earthtouchnews.com/natur...ard-teaches-her-cub-the-art-of-python-hunting

Thanks for sharing

Amazing, thanks for sharing !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!