Making A Terminally Ill Client's Final Dream Come True

@Ponton Kahn
My dear friend
It would have been a privilege to have hunted with an old veteran born before the age of the motor vehicle. The stories he could tellwoul fill a book.
His Holland and Holland Royal double is an exquisite weapon and very expensive. Five years ago when I visited the Holland and Holland store in London I looked a a Royal double. It was in 600 Nitro Express and was available in any caliber ones heart desired.
The cost was 250,000 English pounds or over 430,000 Australian dollars or 300,000 U.S. dollars.
A very expensive weapon. It was a great experience going to such a shop where a rifle starts at 39,000 pounds and one young gentleman bought a cheaper shotgun as his mother would only give him 60,000 pounds for it. The extravagance of the well heeled gentry.
Your humble reader and friend
Bob
That is absolutely true , Bob . It was a best grade Holland & Holland Royal Side Lock Ejector double barreled side by side rifle , which was chambered in .458 Winchester magnum . It had double triggers , 24 inch barrels , a cheek piece , wide V back sight and an uncovered ivory bead fore sight . The gentle man must have spent all of his life savings ... In order to purchase his dream rifle . I still wished that the rifle was chambered in .375 Holland & Holland magnum , though .

Major, Sir,
That was an exceptionally touching account of an old soldier's last battle. You did a marvelous job of relating it to us. I can fully understand his final action. A fighting man wants to go out fighting, not wasting away being a burden to others.
Why thank you so much for your kind words , New Boomer . You are 100 % correct . Men like us , prefer to be masters of our own fate . We do not fear death ( Even though , we obviously do not wish death up on ourselves ) , but rather the idea of becoming reliant up on other people ... In order to live .

Very cool story and thanks for sharing!

@Major Khan
My dear friend
I mean no disrespect in the following. You are either very brave or very silly chasing a wounded panther at night with an OLD torch. Even with one of the new LED torches that will illuminate the interior of a large Mosque would not be to bright for me to even think about it.
Fortunately your reaction was swift but shooting at 10 inches is far to close for comfort.
Your client looks extremely pleased with his leopard and you yourself cut a dashing figure of a young man.
Your humble reader and friend
Bob
I assure you ... That it is absolutely unrivaled in terms of thrill and excitement , Bob . Out the 22 man eating forest panthers which I have personally dispatched , in my life ( Till now ) ... 21 of them were shot , during the night .
f6c39850-ddea-4512-a7a0-c8c8b51b8e89-png.354415

It is actually incredibly easy . During the day ... Suppose your beaters have a forest panther surrounded . If you approach the forest panther and the beaters point out the forest panther to you ... Then , the forest panther shall attack you ... On the spot .

At night , forest panthers behave differently . In North Bengal ( Where I shot the vast majority of my forest panthers , back when I used to live in India ) ... I some times , used to spend my entire nights ... Chasing forest panthers . I had even some times dispatched up to 3 forest panthers on 1 night . On some occasions , 3 forest panthers were lying down and resting ... At night . I shot and killed 2 of them , on the spot ... At ranges less than 20 feet . The 3rd forest panther would see me , and simply flee in to the thickets . Had I ever attempted this fiasco during the day time ... Then , I would be guaranteed to face a charge !

Poton, your actions as a professional shikaree (shikari) met the needs and expectation of your client. I'm sure he remembered this hunt to the end of his days and was forever thankful / grateful for your actions.
Why thank you so much for your kind words , Shootist43. I genuinely wish that I could have done some thing to cure his lung cancer , though. For that is worth far more , than 100 forest panthers. How ever ... As mere mortal men , we could only offer him the next best thing .

Great story. I'm glad you were able to help your client complete his dying wishes. I. too, still have trouble thinking of following up a panther at night. Just seems to go against common sense, although, it really seems to work for you. Thanks for sharing!
Bruce

The man was blessed with the company he had hired for the hunt. May he be on the eternal hunting grounds, with his comrades, hunting panthers till eternity.

Thank you for this story, Major.

Why thank you so much for your kind words , New Boomer . You are 100 % correct . Men like us , prefer to be masters of our own fate . We do not fear death ( Even though , we obviously do not wish death up on ourselves ) , but rather the idea of becoming reliant up on other people ... In order to live .
@Major Khan
My dear friend
Someone once told me it is not death I fear, it's not living that i fear the most.
After pondering what they said i have to agree. For if you are worried about dying the how can you live the life you want.
Bob Nelson

Great story. I'm glad you were able to help your client complete his dying wishes. I. too, still have trouble thinking of following up a panther at night. Just seems to go against common sense, although, it really seems to work for you. Thanks for sharing!
Bruce
Why thank you so much for your kind words , Bruce . I have observed that COUNTLESS of our brother sports men on African Hunting Forums ... Think of nocturnal forest panther shooting , as a " Fool's Errand " .

How ever , I assure you . Indian forest panthers are FAR more aggressive , during the day time . After sun down ... Their senses seem to be less keen .

The man was blessed with the company he had hired for the hunt. May he be on the eternal hunting grounds, with his comrades, hunting panthers till eternity.

Thank you for this story, Major.
Why thank you so much for your kind words , Die Jager . It is my utmost privilege ... That you have enjoyed this story , so much .

@Major Khan
My dear friend
Someone once told me it is not death I fear, it's not living that i fear the most.
After pondering what they said i have to agree. For if you are worried about dying the how can you live the life you want.
Bob Nelson
That is an extremely philosophical view , Bob . How can 1 live , if they always worry about dying ? .

So amazing, as are all your stories. Very neat. Thanks for sharing!

Major Khan we are lucky to have you on this forum. Thank- you for this telling us about your experience.

This may be my favorite story you have told!
Thanks for showing such respect for one of our veterans! It seems like these days (Since Vietnam) they get so little appreciation for what they go through protecting us and keeping us our liberties.

Maj Khan, another wonderful story with a very emotional outcome and ending. Beautiful to know that this great warrior full filed his dream, and lived life in his own terms. Yet, another fantastic story. I know you have heard me say this a lot already, but, you sir need to write a book. Thank you again for taking us along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg