Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Last week I fired this target with my M98 Mauser in 7x57. 100 yards scoped and benched. Load is 150 gr Sierra Game King soft point, ahead of IMR4350, all 4 shot groups. First group fired was low and right, made a correction to the scope, fired one more sighter near target center and shot the upper left group.
Last group fired is but .23" c-c best I could measure by that method. Average of all 5 groups including the one called flyer is only .62". Toss out that flyer and the avg is only .487" for the 5 groups.
I consider this outstanding accuracy from an out of the box factory hunting rifle. Granted, these are not your average Remmy or model 70, Savage in performance or cost, they are a step above the fray.
This is the best target I have fired from this rifle that almost always shoots well under MOA. Certainly, the most accurate 7x57 I have owned among many.
IMG_2420.JPG

Last week I fired this target with my M98 Mauser in 7x57. 100 yards scoped and benched. Load is 150 gr Sierra Game King soft point, ahead of IMR4350, all 4 shot groups. First group fired was low and right, made a correction to the scope, fired one more sighter near target center and shot the upper left group.
Last group fired is but .23" c-c best I could measure by that method. Average of all 5 groups including the one called flyer is only .62". Toss out that flyer and the avg is only .487" for the 5 groups.
I consider this outstanding accuracy from an out of the box factory hunting rifle. Granted, these are not your average Remmy or model 70, Savage in performance or cost, they are a step above the fray.
This is the best target I have fired from this rifle that almost always shoots well under MOA. Certainly, the most accurate 7x57 I have owned among many.
View attachment 441417
Very impressive. What kind of groups do you get with 175 Gr bullets ?

Very nice shooting! I may have missed it, but did you post some pics of your M98?
What year is it from?

Very nice shooting! I may have missed it, but did you post some pics of your M98?
What year is it from?
I did when I first got it in another thread. Here is one of those. You can zoom in on it.
Bought new last year.
IMG_1621.JPG

I did when I first got it in another thread. Here is one of those. You can zoom in on it.
Bought new last year.
View attachment 441435

Ah right , those are the modern Mausers. Absolutely stunning. I have been looking a lot at those as well for a good smaller calibre, 7x57 would just be about perfect. How much did you purchase it for if you don’t mind?

You might be surprised, but despite that I live just next to their origin country, they are seldom in shops and pricing online is hard to find.

Last edited:
Ah right , those are the modern Mausers. Absolutely stunning. I have been looking a lot at those as well for a good smaller calibre, 7x57 would just be about perfect. How much did you purchase it for if you don’t mind?

You might be surprised, but despite that I live just next to their origin country, they are seldom in shops and pricing online is hard to find.
Over here, current prices are running about US$12,500, nearly double what I paid for this just a year or so ago.

I just bought one exactly like it and have yet to fire it, live in NYC and it’s cold!

I’m trying to figure out a scope for it. I have an older Schmidt and Bender 1-6x42, a couple Leupolds VX6i 1-6x20 and a Leupold1.5-5x20.

I think it may need a Swarovski X8i 1.7-13.4x42, I can swap that from a custom Ruger #1 6.5CM but then what do I put on that?

Any thoughts gentlemen?

I bought some Federal 140gr and 175gr loads and had John at Safari Arms Custom Ammunition whip up some sample loads with Barnes TSX 120grs.

I can’t find much else in factory ammo? Any favorite factory loads for this little beast?

Anyone use solids when in DG country, what load? With my 9.3x62 I usual load three 250gr Barnes solids then two 250 Barnes TSX on top. I like that in DG country?

Managed to get out at the range today for a few hours. The 7x57 loves 120gr Barnes TSX at 2900fps!

F196CC57-27B3-408A-9920-2B319780680C.jpeg

Would you not consider an FN commercial action ? Or surely eGun has something.

I just bought one exactly like it and have yet to fire it, live in NYC and it’s cold!

I’m trying to figure out a scope for it. I have an older Schmidt and Bender 1-6x42, a couple Leupolds VX6i 1-6x20 and a Leupold1.5-5x20.

I think it may need a Swarovski X8i 1.7-13.4x42, I can swap that from a custom Ruger #1 6.5CM but then what do I put on that?

Any thoughts gentlemen?
I would put the Schmidt & Bender on the 6.5 and the swarovski on the mauser.

View attachment 441417
@sestoppelman
Looks like 48.5gn is the go to load. Bloody good shooting and beautiful rifle to go with it. The old 7x57 is an amazing cartridge even tho not as flashy as these new ones. Gets the job done without fuss or bother.

i have bought 5 swedish rifles in 8x57 built in the late 40,s-early 50,s i think. on FN comersial 98 actions, three are D&T and two have adjustable triggers. i,m thinking about taking one and having a custom rifle made in 7x57 or 280 rem, or maybe a 7x57-280 rem ackly improved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross