M1 Garand

I have shot the M1 Garand enough to have one on my Bucket List, but settled for a M1A Stainless Barrel National Match. I'd probablly shoot it a lot more if I could find a stock that fit me a little better
P1000680.JPG
P1000681.JPG
P1000680.JPG
P1000681.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: lcq
Paul,
Indeed a "baby Garand" would be very cool especially in a triple 2! IdaRam, pitch the idea at your next round table! TS could market it as the IdaHo Baby Garand.lol.
I agree with ya on the Mini-14 totally although I do own 3 of them and can't really explain why I do. There were several PD's that carried them in the trunk of their cruisers back home in MT and I always thought a M77 chambered in 308 would have been a much better choice to protect and serve instead of to spray and pray.

Cody

Totally agree with you Cody,

Incidentally, back in the late 1970's through part of 1982, when I was a Deputy Sheriff in California (Colusa County, about 70 miles N/W of Sacramento), I had carried in the trunk of my patrol car such rifles as a Pre-War Winchester Model 94 SRC in .30-30 / issue sights, a heavy barreled Ruger M-77 "Varmint" Model in .220 Swift / old Leupold 10x scope, a sporter weight Ruger M-77 in 25-06 / Leupold 6x scope, briefly a DREADED MINI-14 / issue sights, with which I once pointed in on an armed robber but, he was a sissy and gave up without a fight.

Finally, at around age 27 or 28, I matured (yes finally) and abandoned those things as far as my job description was concerned, especially the somewhat inaccurate Mini-14, for an International Harvester built M-1 Garand, purchased from some Government "for Law Enforcement Only" type deal, paying only $225., including shipping to the Sherriff's office.
That one I carried in the trunk until June 1982 when I accepted a job with the Anchorage Police Dept.

At that stage, I had a friend bring it on one of his bi-monthly flights from the California to Anchorage, in transit to The North Slope where he worked two weeks on and two off each month.
Here in Alaska, back in the day I shot six caribou with it, not to mention the heads off ptarmigan at close range (they have the sad habit of setting very still if you do not walk straight at them).

Unfortunately, APD did not permit Patrol Officers to carry rifles yet so, my Garand stayed home while I was at work.
Eventually, I also bought a full target version, built by Fulton Armory but only shot targets with it, then sold both to help pay off a safari.

"I spent most of my money on large caliber Mausers and hunting safaris, the rest I just wasted."

Bblah, blah, out,
Velo Dog.

My father carried the M1 during WW2 after having trained with a Springfield. He would confirm that it was indeed a fine rifle if he were still with us. He told me on many occasions that it was and accurate rifle that could rake a great deal of mistreatment.

The M1 is very ergonomically friendly to lefties but not if you try to use it like a right hander. I actually think it is easier to use left handed than right handed. I thought it was not very friendly to left-handers until I was shown the way to run it left handed at Thunder Ranch. You can keep a firing grip and load with the right hand, using the thumb on the bottom and fingers over the top to squeeze the clip into place. Likewise, you can keep a firing grip and work the action with the right hand very easily. The safety is ambidextrous.

I also think the Kalashnikov must have been intended for left-handed use- it is ergonomically delightful when operated left handed, but I think it is clumsy to handle right handed.

The M1 is very ergonomically friendly to lefties but not if you try to use it like a right hander. I actually think it is easier to use left handed than right handed. I thought it was not very friendly to left-handers until I was shown the way to run it left handed at Thunder Ranch. You can keep a firing grip and load with the right hand, using the thumb on the bottom and fingers over the top to squeeze the clip into place. Likewise, you can keep a firing grip and work the action with the right hand very easily. The safety is ambidextrous.

I also think the Kalashnikov must have been intended for left-handed use- it is ergonomically delightful when operated left handed, but I think it is clumsy to handle right handed.

+ 1 with you on the left handed friendliness of the Garand and Kalashnikof as well.
Likewise I had trained with Clint Smith in the early days just prior to his opening his first Thunder Ranch facility.
(Could that boy run a rifle or what ?!)

VD, do you still have the Garand? I have a bunch of clips with blanks.

+ 1 with you on the left handed friendliness of the Garand and Kalashnikof as well.
Likewise I had trained with Clint Smith in the early days just prior to his opening his first Thunder Ranch facility.
(Could that boy run a rifle or what ?!)

Yes, he knows which end the bullets come out of, thats for sure!

VD, do you still have the Garand? I have a bunch of clips with blanks.

Sadly, I had to sell both of my Garands soon after I "discovered" Africa.
If you are looking to sell, can I forward your phone number to one of my friends who does have one ?

The Garand is a nice rifle but the M14 is much better. I have tinkered and shot G3, FN FAL, AKs, ARs etc. I love my M14....good sight and a fantastic trigger....never had feeding issues with mil. spec. 7,62x51mm..

Of the others I rate the G3 in 2nd place....dont like Ars and AKs..

I have a FN49 in .30-06....also a very good one..

The Garand is a nice rifle but the M14 is much better.
Blasphemy!!! I really cannot think of another rifle today that I can take out of the safe and just by touching it, feel as connected to history and the gun as I do with the Garand. There is just something about knowing that American soldiers carried THAT Garand into combat that makes it special. Not to mention, it certainly has a cool factor. For me, anyway, it just feels right to hold and shoot. I put it right next to the 1911 as the most quintessentially American and finest feeling guns every made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross