Lowering firing pins with barrels removed?

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
How is the best way to lower the firing pins while the barrels are removed so that the fining pins won't be damaged dry firing it and also to re-cock them when the rifle is to be reassembled?

A lot of period guns and rifles were sold with a horn firing block in the case. It was placed fairly firmly against the breach face and each trigger pulled. A block of wood works just as well.

Should go right back together. Though it doesn’t work on a LC Smith which needs a special wrench to recock the pins. Let me try one of mine tomorrow. In all honesty I leave mine cocked. A used gun have likely set that way for years if not decades.

You MAY have a problem with our ejectors being cocked and the strikers being uncocked. It seems to me like I MAY have had that problem.

You ask what is "the best way to lower the firing pins". I believe the best way is snap caps. Open action load snap caps, close action & pull triggers. When you open disassemble the bbl's from the action both the firing pins and the ejectors will be uncocked. With no damage or wear to firing pins or action.

You ask what is "the best way to lower the firing pins". I believe the best way is snap caps. Open action load snap caps, close action & pull triggers. When you open disassemble the bbl's from the action both the firing pins and the ejectors will be uncocked. With no damage or wear to firing pins or action.
If an ejector gun, using a firing block could indeed be a problem. Just back from the gunroom. Both the two rifles and several SxS's with which I have used a a firing block are non-ejector. On an ejector gun or rifle, snap caps are the way to go.

@Ray B I would assume you are talking about your double rifle. The simplest way is indeed to order snap caps. If you have trouble finding them, let me know I may have a set burried over here somewhere.

You could also, while the gun is assembled, pull the triggers on snap caps, then remove the forend before breaking the rifle open. After the forend is removed you can break the rifle and it will not recock the striker springs OR the ejector springs (most actions). It will likely need to have the strikers recocked manually before it can be reassembled. This can be done by pressing the cocking levers at the nose of the action against a block of wood.

I do not bother. All my doubles sit assembled in the rack and are either cocked or not. The cases are used for transport, but not storage.

@Red Leg Yes it is an ejector gun. It's 112 years of age and when assembled I have snap caps in it so that the springs are extended. I was wondering about the possibility of storing it disassembled with the springs extended.

@Nevada Mike I'll give that a try and see about disassembly while the gun is not cocked.

the gun is a Rigby so I'm being extra careful with it. I recall snapping the trigger on a Browning Superposed about 40 years ago while the gun was apart and it seems it wasn't too much of a proglem getting it recocked when putting it back together.

thanks for the help!!

How is the best way to lower the firing pins while the barrels are removed so that the fining pins won't be damaged dry firing it and also to re-cock them when the rifle is to be reassembled?
@Ray B
My son's O/U shotgun has a firing pin release in the action. When the gun is broken down press the de-cocking button and the firing pins fall.
When assembling the gun as soon as the top lever is moved the action is recocked. A great idea in my book as it avoids spring fatigue.
Bob

Some rifles have a firing pin release. I make use of snap caps, they work really well for me!

Best regards

Lex Strauss

Use of snap caps is easiest way to relieve springs. Making DIY snap caps is easy. Use resized, empty case. Trim and shape hard rubber replacements for primers. Epoxy in place. IIRC some pencil erasers are close to correct diameter :)

I have snap caps, unfortunately they fit in the barrels so they don't do any good when the barrels are removed from the action.

I have snap caps, unfortunately they fit in the barrels so they don't do any good when the barrels are removed from the action.
Ray

See my earlier post... let the strikers fall on the snap caps, remove forend, then break the action and disassemble.

Here are pics of a couple of DIY snap caps- left is large rifle, right is shotgun. The large rifle pocket is slightly smaller than a mechanical pencil eraser. The shotgun pocket is slightly smaller than a regular wood pencil eraser. Simple sand down the erasers for a snug fit, epoxy in place and cutoff flush. Simple

snap caps.jpg

@Nevada Mike Thanks!! I tried as noted- Opened action, installed snap caps, closed action, moved safe to fire. Pressed both triggers. then removed fore end and pressed action lever just far enough to release the barrels from the action. The firing pins remained in "fired" position. I check with an Oak block in front of the firing pins and pressed triggers again. No change. So the gun can rest in the hard case, dismantled but with the springs relaxed.

Thanks to all for the information.

Snap caps!
Only on assembled guns.

I think there were, now rare, type of double gun actions for cock on closing systems.

But in any case the question is interesting, and refer to disassembled double guns in suitcase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross