Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, DSC, NRA
Hunted
US, Canada, RSA (Limpopo, Eastern Cape), Zimbabwe (Omay North X 2, Dande Safari Area, Dande East), Botswana
The one and only time I've had a double rifle built just for me, I had to take several measurements to ensure the fit was "custom". Based on my submitted measurements, a LOP of 14-1/2" was deemed appropriate by the manufacturer. I later purchased a cheaper double in a smaller caliber for practice. This one had a 15" LOP and actually fits me considerably better than the 14-1/2" LOP. Does anyone on here happen to have a good means of estimating the appropriate LOP for a big-bore double based on measurements?

Instead of estimating, I went to Cabelas and tried a shotgun that could be adjusted to the user's comfort. I measured it at 15.25". I sent the rifle off to my rifle maker and he said that for a dangerous game rifle you probably want about a quarter of an inch shorter. (for quick mounting). He made the L.O.P on my .470 at 15" and it is a joy to shoot.

I have only ever trusted mounting an adjustable gun up onto my shoulder or mounting every last rifle/shotgun in the cabinet or safe and seeing how they feel and what my sight picture is.

Maybe someone has a better method for you.

A few failures from trying to just use the numbers in the past:

View attachment 14576

View attachment 14575

Instead of estimating, I went to Cabelas and tried a shotgun that could be adjusted to the user's comfort. I measured it at 15.25". I sent the rifle off to my rifle maker and he said that for a dangerous game rifle you probably want about a quarter of an inch shorter. (for quick mounting). He made the L.O.P on my .470 at 15" and it is a joy to shoot.
Okay need help please. I woke up with a monster bruise on my upper right arm from shooting my 470 DR. I have added a gel pull over extra absorber and bought an undershirt with a molded pad as well. I am a big guy at 6:2 225 pounds former college football and stay in great shape. I thought the butt was on my shoulder but obviously not. Do you think I created too long a LOP? I live in Atlanta GA and am also wondering closest place that can measure me then insure my LOP on my new gun is correct. Your thoughts greatly appreciated

Okay need help please. I woke up with a monster bruise on my upper right arm from shooting my 470 DR. I have added a gel pull over extra absorber and bought an undershirt with a molded pad as well. I am a big guy at 6:2 225 pounds former college football and stay in great shape. I thought the butt was on my shoulder but obviously not. Do you think I created too long a LOP? I live in Atlanta GA and am also wondering closest place that can measure me then insure my LOP on my new gun is correct. Your thoughts greatly appreciated
How were you shooting the gun? Off of sticks and on concrete by chance?

Interesting shooting off sled no problem. Only when shooting off sticks did I have the problem of bruised arm

LOP is just one of the things that needs to be correct for proper fit.....cast off, drop, width, comb, shape of butt, recoil pad.... Etc. All need to be correct for proper fit

Rare Breed, was the bruise on your upper arm or shoulder i.e. inside the joint?

At least for me I need a more open stance (Shoulders more squared to the rifle.) than I use with lighter rifle calibers lest the recoil move off the shoulder pocket and onto the upper arm. I have had bruises to prove that when taking a quick shot with a DG caliber and reverting to the target shooter offhand stance. Years and thousands of rounds in competition created a sometimes painful muscle memory. The good news for me on game is I do not feel recoil or hear the report and when practicing I can avoid the muscle memory issue.

So 15" LOP is very long for a SxS shotgun. Normally, usually, most of the time a rifle needs to be 1/4 to 1/2 inch shorter. As @IvW notes, drop and cast or two other critical factors in proper fit. I am six feet tall and weigh 205 and wear 34" shirts. I most naturally shoot a 14 1/2 to 14 3/4 LOP in a SxS shotgun depending upon drop, and 14 1/4 is about perfect in a double rifle.

The people who can properly fit you for a double in this country can be listed on one hand with fingers left over. The folks at Holland & Holland in NY could arrange a fitting as could Griffin & Howe in New Jersey. Two other English trained gunmakers who could have done it twenty years ago, passed away several years ago. Otherwise, I look forward to hearing other suggestions.

So 15" LOP is very long for a SxS shotgun. Normally, usually, most of the time a rifle needs to be 1/4 to 1/2 inch shorter. As @IvW notes, drop and cast or two other critical factors in proper fit. I am six feet tall and weigh 205 and wear 34" shirts. I most naturally shoot a 14 1/2 to 14 3/4 LOP in a SxS shotgun depending upon drop, and 14 1/4 is about perfect in a double rifle.

I am almost exactly the same build, 6 feet 195 (will get to 180 for Africa ;) ). My shotgun LOP working with fitters turned up to be 14 1/2.

I went to Dallas last Monday and got measured by Chris Sells of Heym USA for a rifle I had ordered recently. After a while it was determined that my LOP is 14 5/8 for a Heym double. He also took a slew of other measurements.

I am almost exactly the same build, 6 feet 195 (will get to 180 for Africa ;) ). My shotgun LOP working with fitters turned up to be 14 1/2.

I went to Dallas last Monday and got measured by Chris Sells of Heym USA for a rifle I had ordered recently. After a while it was determined that my LOP is 14 5/8 for a Heym double. He also took a slew of other measurements.
The other factors all weigh in to the final LOP measurement. Depending on drop and cast, I bet we could trade guns and rifles on a shoot. But I am staying at 205.

Does Chris use an actual try-gun? More importantly, which Heym did you order? :unsure:

The other factors all weigh in to the final LOP measurement. Depending on drop and cast, I bet we could trade guns and rifles on a shoot. But I am staying at 205.

Which Heym did you order?

Well, I am a lefty so the cast would be backwards. I ordered an 88B in 9.3x74R. He promised that he could get it here by end of May. If so I will use it for bait and leopard for my upcoming August hunt. I sent him my Swarovski Z8i to sent to Germany so it would get regulated with the scope.

My weight fluctuates by about 30 lbs every few years. I get down to 175, then start creeping up to about 205 (takes about 3 years) at which point I go back to my boring diet (boneless chicken thighs and tomatoes for every meal) and 6-8 months later at 175 and the cycle begins again. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Yes absolutely inside the joint
If your sticks are on concrete, the bruise is because the whole rig jumps/slides when you shoot. This happens to me as well and, as a result, I will no longer shoots sticks off of concrete. Move to natural substrate and you should be good.

The people who can properly fit you for a double in this country can be listed on one hand with fingers left over. The folks at Holland & Holland in NY could arrange a fitting as could Griffin & Howe in New Jersey. Two other English trained gunmakers who could have done it twenty years ago, passed away several years ago. Otherwise, I look forward to hearing other suggestions.
I used the Boyt shooting method as follows
1. I measured from the center of front trigger back 5 3/4 inches on the stock having a piece of tape for the mark
2. I mounted the gun and naturally brought my face and nose down on the stock not trying to sight in...the mark my nose made was 5/16 inches behind my 5 3/4 mark
3. The gun LOP from the center of the recoil pad was 15 5/16 inclusive of 3/4 inch recoil pad
4. I then subtracted 5/16 to get my LOP of 15 inclusive of 3/4 recoil pad
I am 6:2 and wear a 35 sleeve length

sound right?

thanks

Sometimes you hold a big bore wrong and it bites. That is just the nature of the beast. I have had a blue/purple shoulder once after shooting. Just a random blood vessel burst or one shot fired a little early. Also check your butt pad. Sharp corners cause bruising. I rounded my pad with sandpaper

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg