Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
A friend went to our local gun shop to get some primers only to be told he had none and even tho they were on back order it may be 12 to 18 months or longer before he gets any.
After calling quite a few gun shops I was told the same thing. One shop that did have some was limiting them to 500 per customer but that will change to 200 as stocks dry up.
Prices to are going up and are at 80 dollars per 500 for large rifle. Benchrest primers are going for $24 /100.
Projectiles are becoming harder to get and almost impossible in some calibers
I now know and understand how our overseas hunters are suffering in the same department
We were not prepared for this in Australia. All we were told by our local gun shops is she'll be right we have heaps on back order so don't worry. They were being bullshit by the supplier, who also thought they would have no problems.

Well guess what ladies and gentlemen we are now all in the same boat with limited supplies of everything.
Cheer up tho I was told we will be able to get some of the more common factory ammo BUT AT WHAT PRICE AND WHAT CALIBERS..
As we had what seemed to be a reasonable supplies in Australia and what we thought was a good supply chain WE didn’t worry to much.
GUESS WHAT BOYS AND GIRLS OF AUSTRALIA START F##KING WORRYING AS IT IS TO LATE NOW.
BOB

i have enough to last me, when i bought 1000 primers i bought another 1000 at the same time and did the same with powder. the last i checked i had 30 lbs of primers and about 50 lbs of powder. i have not had to buy any supplies since this crap started.

A friend went to our local gun shop to get some primers only to be told he had none and even tho they were on back order it may be 12 to 18 months or longer before he gets any.
After calling quite a few gun shops I was told the same thing. One shop that did have some was limiting them to 500 per customer but that will change to 200 as stocks dry up.
Prices to are going up and are at 80 dollars per 500 for large rifle. Benchrest primers are going for $24 /100.
I now know and understand how our overseas hunters are suffering in the same department
We were not prepared for this in Australia. All we were told by our local gun shops is she'll be right we have heaps on back order so don't worry. They were being bullshit by the supplier, who also thought they would have no problems.

Well guess what ladies and gentlemen we are now all in the same boat with limited supplies of everything.
Cheer up tho I was told we will be able to get some of the more common factory ammo BUT AT WHAT PRICE AND WHAT CALIBERS..
As we had what seemed to be a reasonable supplies in Australia and what we thought was a good supply chain WE didn’t worry to much.
GUESS WHAT BOYS AND GIRLS OF AUSTRALIA START F##KING WORRYING AS IT IS TO LATE NOW.
BOB
It does make me wonder if this isn't deeper than the supply chain story that we are being fed. Here in the U.S. these shortages happen whenever a certain political party is in control of things. We went through it under the last three presidents from that unnamed party. This time is the worst that I have seen. Primers have all but disappeared along with brass and most bullets. Those of us who remember things prepared as best we could but rather than getting better things are getting worse. It just smells rotten to me. Sorry that it has hit you as well.

I went to pick up some copper bullets today the shop owner was saying primers are in short supply they had an order of cci primers come in last week which was about a quarter of what he had on order and was told that would probably be all he would get for the next twelve months.

Bob, I´m very sad to read this, I think Argentina was the only country who suffers with the lack of reloading issues...
Sorry about }that, here we are resilient in this things, EVERY TIME the bullets, ammunitions and reload suplies imports are very very bad handles by the goverment, the country custom, and the local shops, but if you are in troubles, here, my god, we are in a serious dam!

i have enough to last me, when i bought 1000 primers i bought another 1000 at the same time and did the same with powder. the last i checked i had 30 lbs of primers and about 50 lbs of powder. i have not had to buy any supplies since this crap started.
30 lbs of primer ?

It does make me wonder if this isn't deeper than the supply chain story that we are being fed. Here in the U.S. these shortages happen whenever a certain political party is in control of things. We went through it under the last three presidents from that unnamed party. This time is the worst that I have seen. Primers have all but disappeared along with brass and most bullets. Those of us who remember things prepared as best we could but rather than getting better things are getting worse. It just smells rotten to me. Sorry that it has hit you as well.
@ Joker12
We should have known as ALL our stuff except for powder comes from overseas so it was bound to hit us sooner or later. Which our she'll be right attitude it is going to affect some more than othes.
I remember 10 years ago with the primer shortage. Since then I have been buying what I can when it was on special so I'm not to bad YET.
Bob

Thanks for the heads up Bob.
We should have seen it coming with what we see hear.
I've been aware New Zealand were starting to dry up on some stuff it was always going to be us next.
Maybe importers were holding good stocks .

@ Joker12
We should have known as ALL our stuff except for powder comes from overseas so it was bound to hit us sooner or later. Which our she'll be right attitude it is going to affect some more than othes.
I remember 10 years ago with the primer shortage. Since then I have been buying what I can when it was on special so I'm not to bad YET.
Bob
I have done the same Bob. One thing that we should all realize is that no matter how well stocked we may be individually that if we can't replace what we use we will eventually run out as well. I truly sympathize with the new shooters and hunters who simply can't find what they need to pursue their new interests.

yes, 30 lbs of primers . i had more but gave some to reloader friends to replace them when the shortages come to an end. Sp-Lp-Sr-lr, regular,match,magnum and 209 shotgun primers along with #10-11 precussion caps and musket 4 wing caps. and quite a few black english flints.

Bob. This has been predictable for quite some time. In Australia, we are at the far end of a very long supply chain. If there is a shortage in a source country, then they will supply their own people first. The big importers have massive quantities on back order but no supplies are reaching Australia. Most estimates I've heard speak in terms of 2-3 years before the situation gets better.

A big part of the problem we face, and it applies to all commodities not just reloading components, is that for the last few decades we have drunk the Kool Aid about "just in time' supply chains. That's an economic approach that only works in ideal circumstances with guaranteed supply. We need to move to a 'just in case' framework in which you always maintain enough components to cover the worst supply fluctuations. We also need to get back to manufacturing everything here rather than being dependent on overseas suppliers. Because of the various supply disruptions, I've always maintained a float of enough components to last 2-3 years. As I use stuff, I buy replacements so as to maintain the float.

Incidentally, I believe that ADI does make small and large rifle primers for its military and commercial ammunition production. However they don't sell to the public due to the cost of the packaging and red tape involved. Possibly if we all write to them they may see the opportunity however the entire civilian market is tiny compared to government sales. They may well see it as not worth the effort.

On a more pessimistic note, the current global situation is causing many countries to see the need to rapidly increase their defence stockpiles. It wouldn't be hard to imagine most of the worlds powder, primer, brass manufacturers being switched over to almost exclusive military production for some years.

I wonder if the dick heads in power in Australia have ramped up production of military ammo in case we need it due to the threat from china. I dough it, they are too occupied with trivial bullshit , climate change, gay rights, electric cars, digging dirt on each other . may be we could buy ammo from china ! or Russia !

Bob. This has been predictable for quite some time. In Australia, we are at the far end of a very long supply chain. If there is a shortage in a source country, then they will supply their own people first. The big importers have massive quantities on back order but no supplies are reaching Australia. Most estimates I've heard speak in terms of 2-3 years before the situation gets better.

A big part of the problem we face, and it applies to all commodities not just reloading components, is that for the last few decades we have drunk the Kool Aid about "just in time' supply chains. That's an economic approach that only works in ideal circumstances with guaranteed supply. We need to move to a 'just in case' framework in which you always maintain enough components to cover the worst supply fluctuations. We also need to get back to manufacturing everything here rather than being dependent on overseas suppliers. Because of the various supply disruptions, I've always maintained a float of enough components to last 2-3 years. As I use stuff, I buy replacements so as to maintain the float.

Incidentally, I believe that ADI does make small and large rifle primers for its military and commercial ammunition production. However they don't sell to the public due to the cost of the packaging and red tape involved. Possibly if we all write to them they may see the opportunity however the entire civilian market is tiny compared to government sales. They may well see it as not worth the effort.

On a more pessimistic note, the current global situation is causing many countries to see the need to rapidly increase their defence stockpiles. It wouldn't be hard to imagine most of the worlds powder, primer, brass manufacturers being switched over to almost exclusive military production for some years.
@Hunter4752001
We should never have stopped manufacturing in this country period.
If'n ADI wants some one to pack primers hell I would do it for minimum wage as long as I could get what I need.
My philosophy is similar to yours. Use it replace it. I will just have to cut back on trips to the range and save more ammo for hunting.
I scored well this morning 600 LR Remington primer and a box of 22 cal speer 55gn soft points for 5 cents less than 100 bucks. My mate Greg got 1,000 LR primers from a different shop for $160.
Bob

I wonder if the dick heads in power in Australia have ramped up production of military ammo in case we need it due to the threat from china. I dough it, they are too occupied with trivial bullshit , climate change, gay rights, electric cars, digging dirt on each other . may be we could buy ammo from china ! or Russia !
@rdog
As funny as it seems it is possible.
They have ramped up production a bit but we have committed to sending it to the Ukraine.

Tell it like it is: DEMOCRATS. Everything they come close to (they don't even have to touch it) turns to crap. They can and do f*&^ up a wet dream. Constantly.

@rdog
As funny as it seems it is possible.
They have ramped up production a bit but we have committed to sending it to the Ukraine.
I would worry about the Russians ending up with it, may they would give it back if its not used.
;)
Tell it like it is: DEMOCRATS. Everything they come close to (they don't even have to touch it) turns to crap. They can and do f*&^ up a wet dream. Constantly.
The Labour party in Australia has the same ability.

BOB

Any update on Woodleigh?

Hahahahaha.... you remember me a "the simpson" scene....
Here, we are not have democrats, but have worst politicians... POPULISTS.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg