Looking for someone who sells or can machine a thread protector for an A-bolt with BOSS

JHT

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have a blued Browning A-bolt in .300 Win. Mag. with the Boss system. I am wanting to remove the BOSS and cover the threads with a protector that blends as seamlessly as possible. Obviously, it might need to be knurled to enable it to be tightened and loosened. Does anyone know where I can either buy one or have one made? Thank you.

Do you know the thread pitch that is on there now ?

Speaking from a position of somewhat ignorance here, but I would be surprised if Midway, or Brownells don't carry what you're looking for . . .

My research says 9/16-24. If this is true and the barrel at the tenon shoulder isn't much larger than 9/16, it'd be difficult to make something that will blend in smoothly.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 6.54.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 6.54.43 AM.png
    975 KB · Views: 78
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 6.54.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 6.54.47 AM.png
    839.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 6.54.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 6.54.50 AM.png
    468.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 6.54.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 6.54.54 AM.png
    333.2 KB · Views: 71
It should be simple to source a 9/16-24 thread protector…. just need to measure the length of the threaded area to ensure a nice fit of the protector.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 6.57.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 6.57.18 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 70
From online pics, the threads appear longer than the protectors I am finding on the internet. I will measure the rifle when I get a chance and post. Thank you.
R.jpg

Check with Silencer Central in SDAkota.

I have a blued Browning A-bolt in .300 Win. Mag. with the Boss system. I am wanting to remove the BOSS and cover the threads with a protector that blends as seamlessly as possible. Obviously, it might need to be knurled to enable it to be tightened and loosened. Does anyone know where I can either buy one or have one made? Thank you.
Is your "BOSS" system closed or ported ?
If your boss system is ported and your looking to reduce Muzzle blast, I do believe you can go to an un-ported style boss system made by winchester/browning. I could be wrong .

bossill.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@JHT, Do you shoot reloads? If not, I'd leave that Boss system/tuner intact.

In Canada I think Lemieux Armuier could do that. They are just outside Quebec City. They are both a certified browning repair shop and do custom work. They made their own for the rifle they made me. I know they service clients in the usa. They are rebuilding their website but you can reach them.

Is your "BOSS" system closed or ported ?
If your boss system is ported and your looking to reduce Muzzle blast, I do believe you can go to an un-ported style boss system made by winchester/browning. I could be wrong .

View attachment 465002

This! They do or did make the attachment shown. It was referred to as the BOSS CR (conventional recoil) and still had the adjustability and counter weights of the regular BOSS system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you