Looking for rifle suggestions for upcoming safari

I just got my pedestal mount Damara dik dik from Kanati I shot it with 300 grain a frame in 375. Unfortunately destroyed the hide too much to full mount. I didn’t have time to switch ammo …thus the question

I used a camp rifle (300 Win Mag and 200 gr ELDX) to take my Vaal Rhebuck last year, first spotted a small group on a mountain top plateau at over 500 yards, the herd immediately ran down hill and were even further away. They bedded down eventually, and my PH and I were able to make a big loop to the base of the hill and ambush them, getting my shot at 100 yards quartering away. The bullet exited low out the front of the chest. Damage didn't appear too severe, will find out shortly when I get the wall pedestal mount. Exciting animal to hunt, good luck on your quest. I'd have enjoyed having my 6.5x55 for this hunt. Other rhebuck we spotted were farther than 500 yards, and stalking cover was minimal. I would shoot the rifle you are most comfortable with, and stay away from the shoulders. I have 6.5x55 and 7mm Rem Mag, and enjoy shooting the 6.5 more frequently.
View attachment 608505
He’s awesome!!! Congrats!!

6.5 all the way for the range and game you're talking about. I personally prefer and use a .308 over the creedmore, but load up some heavy accubonds to slow it down a bit and help with hide issues. Then practice a lot before going, to know not only the drop, but the time it takes your bullet to travel out to 500 or 600 yards.

I gave up my 7mm when I was young due to its performance on mule deer and elk.

Both will do the job. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 7 PRC. Take the one you are most comfortable with. If you shoot both equally well, take the one that has the higher bullet bc. Elevating for distance is easy but calling the wind in east cape will make the difference. Use the Vortex ballistic calculator and play with different wind values to see the differences. Good luck.

I just got my pedestal mount Damara dik dik from Kanati I shot it with 300 grain a frame in 375. Unfortunately destroyed the hide too much to full mount. I didn’t have time to switch ammo …thus the question
Did you right a report? I’m headed to try and get a Damara dik dik. Would love to hear about it

Wo
I am heading out in June 2025 for my seventh safari. I am heading to the eastern cape in search of Vaal and hopefully a few other smaller antelope. Because of potential shots over 200 yards, I do not want to shoot 375 solids (nor lug it around and up and down mountains). My two current options are left hand Tikka in 6.5 creedmor and a left hand Christensen Ridgeline in 7 mmm Rem mag. Both are about the same weight and both are similarly accurate from me. I intend to have the 375 for other animals if we conclude our hunt and move to the Limpopo. The 6.5 shoots ELDX the best. The ridge line seems to like many different rounds. equally well. I have an expectation that shots could get to 400 yards. I do not intend on purchasing another rifle. Suggestions and opinions welcome and suggestions on ammo for less hide damage also welcome. No I don't have a man bun...:D
Wouldn't recommend the ELDX on a Vall Rhebuck. You will have some damage for sure.

I really like the ELD-X bullets, but I would really be concerned using them in this situation. I have 1000+ of them in 6.5 I bought as seconds from Midway, they are very accurate for me and work great on game, but you are shooting something the size of a coyote, if you get into any shoulder at all, it would be a real mess.

Graham Hunter answered your question perfectly in post #6.
You’re good from Vaalie to kudu with that setup.

If I shoot the 7 mag what weight bullet and type do you recommend?

For this I will just go with which ever one you shoot the most accurately. Sub MOA shooting to point of aim is better than anything with small animals where you are not worried about meat damage.

Either will be fine.

If you use the CM, I would use ELD-M.

Maybe ELD-M in either.

I am heading out in June 2025 for my seventh safari. I am heading to the eastern cape in search of Vaal and hopefully a few other smaller antelope. Because of potential shots over 200 yards, I do not want to shoot 375 solids (nor lug it around and up and down mountains). My two current options are left hand Tikka in 6.5 creedmor and a left hand Christensen Ridgeline in 7 mmm Rem mag. Both are about the same weight and both are similarly accurate from me. I intend to have the 375 for other animals if we conclude our hunt and move to the Limpopo. The 6.5 shoots ELDX the best. The ridge line seems to like many different rounds. equally well. I have an expectation that shots could get to 400 yards. I do not intend on purchasing another rifle. Suggestions and opinions welcome and suggestions on ammo for less hide damage also welcome. No I don't have a man bun...:D
Please take the 7mm Mag with 160g TSX. It has been my sons go to caliber for all his safaris and works well. I have had many clients as well as myself do well with this setup.
I advise against the CM. It has too little knock down for the big stuff and its high velocity will destroy the small stuff.

I advise against the CM. It has too little knock down for the big stuff and its high velocity will destroy the small stuff.
Have you looked at the velocity of the 7mag compared to the velocity of the 6.5 creed?

So by your notion the 7mag would destroy it even more? Yet, it is what you recommended.

Have you looked at the velocity of the 7mag compared to the velocity of the 6.5 creed?

So by your notion the 7mag would destroy it even more? Yet, it is what you recommended.if he just shoots a solid in the 7 mag it won’t damage the hides at all. And it’ll kill the small stuff very effectively.

Both will do the job with correct bullets and shot placement. Take the one you shoot the best.

Bingo. Know distance and angles. Behind the shoulder at 400 and you are set.

Either rifle will work. Use what you know best.
Know your cartridge, rifle and rangefinder.
take broadside shots if you can.

I've used:
1x 375H&H 250 grain ttsx - clean enough holes in the ribs
2x 270 130 grain ttsx - one nice clean rib shot. The other hit the ram through the heart as it swapped 110 degrees to run away up hill. entrance and exit path removed the entire brisket. Heart shot broad side turned into and evisceration.
It was made into a should mount with some stitches.
1x 300Win mag 180 grain ttsx.
!x compound bow - close but no trophy.

The terrain...
https://www.africahunting.com/threa...outhern-africa-with-kmg-tms-pps.23265/page-12

Have a look at the wind.
https://www.africahunting.com/media/vaalie-hunting-on-a-windy-day-drakensberg-at-8600-feet.41127/

Enjoy.

Either rifle will work. Use what you know best.
Know your cartridge, rifle and rangefinder.
take broadside shots if you can.
Broadside or a quartering on shot. Let the bullet exit closer to the rear instead of quartering away and exiting close to the shoulder or out the chest. That generally leaves a mess unless you get lucky.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LydiaBenit

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!