Looking for my first "affordable" double in 2023, which to consider

Andrew is correct. Chapuis which I have owned if bought through George & JJ has the best service!!!
Not familiar with G&JJ. I have a Merkel that is not indexing properly and looking to find a smithing outfit that can move the barrel wedge. Do they have that ability? Thanks—

Thanks for the feedback everyone, there is lots to consider. I have officially started the "double rifle" savings account. By the time I have enough for one I should be ready for my first trip to Africa.

I'll be keeping an eye out for what Prophet River and Ellwood Epps (Canadian retailers) have in stock in the coming year.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, there is lots to consider. I have officially started the "double rifle" savings account. By the time I have enough for one I should be ready for my first trip to Africa.

I'll be keeping an eye out for what Prophet River and Ellwood Epps (Canadian retailers) have in stock in the coming year.

Just remember you don't "need" a double to hunt Africa. You can read many stories here how someone put going off for whatever reason and something life altering change their plans as in they never went.

It's food for thought, we are not promised tomorrow.

Zoli ou in .400 3 inch are they dtill being made ?

Ralph Martini generally has a few used doubles for sale, so check out his website. Wolverine supplies has some Merkel large bore doubles in stock at reasonable prices. Calgary Shooting Center has some doubles in stock which aren’t on their website, but if you call them or email the they’ll let you know what they have (currently they have good prices on some new 9.3s and 375s that have been sitting on the rack for a few years).

Also keep an eye out on auction websites, importing rifles into Canada is easy, and the import and shipping costs can be worth it. I’m currently importing a Heym 88b in .375 H&H that I bought at an auction overseas. It’s going to cost me half of what I’d expect to pay for the same rifle from a dealer in North America.

I have owned and shot all of them except the merkel (Have shot several). I have shortened a couple butt stocks for friends and it doesn't affect regulations.

You might need to buy a plane ticket and fly the 3000KM to see and hold several. Plane tickets are cheap when spending the kind of $$$ to get a double. Making sure the rifle fits you is the most important part of your decision to buy which one.

I have my preferences but you may be totally different just based on how the rifle fits your specific body dimensions.

I think the Iphisi at that price point is poised to set the double world on fire. It is an ideal offering for young PH's who can use it for their proficiency as well as DG ticket. No reason why it shouldn't go on in their careers too. I am very keen to get to grips with one, but the South African 'agent', Kalahari arms doesn't have the manners to reply.
Kevin next time we get to your neck of the World, we'll have to get @Just Gina to bring her's so we can meet up and let you shoot it;)
20230325_082332.jpg

So to the Chapuis cheerleaders, I see that the LOP is on the long side, at least for me. I shoot a lot of sxs shotguns and prefer about 14 5/8 LOP. Have any of you shortened the LOP and if so, how did it affect the regulation?
I'm certain you can order a rifle with any LOP you desire. @Tom Leoni ?

I also believe George orders the rifles he keeps in stock with a long LOP with the intention of having them cut to fit. Great thing about that is that he may have a rifle in stock or at least already on order and in the pipeline;)

Another great thing about Chapuis is other than perhaps a Blaser, I believe it is about the easiest to re-regulate should that be needed. They come with the wedge protruding a bit so it is easy for a competent gunsmith to get hold of and pull a bit.

20230325_082434.jpg

I thank you for your responses regarding LOP. I have heard it said changing it can affect regulation so glad to hear it shouldn't be a problem. Apologies to OP if I have hijacked this thread a bit...

I strongly recommend contacting Ralf Martini, specially since you are in Canada.

Also keep an eye out on auction websites, importing rifles into Canada is easy, and the import and shipping costs can be worth it. I’m currently importing a Heym 88b in .375 H&H that I bought at an auction overseas. It’s going to cost me half of what I’d expect to pay for the same rifle from a dealer in North America.
Shameless plug for Ralf Martini. He’s a class act and a great resource. I bought a Heym 500 NE from him last year. The rifle was exactly as described and made the import process into the US a piece of cake. I can only imagine the process your side of the 49th would be even easier.

Shameless plug for Ralf Martini. He’s a class act and a great resource. I bought a Heym 500 NE from him last year. The rifle was exactly as described and made the import process into the US a piece of cake. I can only imagine the process your side of the 49th would be even easier.
Does he have new firearms in stock or is it all second hand?

Not sure. I believe they’re almost all consignment guns. Mine was on consignment but never fired

I am not a fan of the Merkels, Krieghoffs, or Blasers. I don't like the form of the Merkels, the feel of the Krigoffs (and their decoking mechanism), or the complexity of the Blasers. Chapuis, Heym (89B), and Verney-Carron get my vote for their classic lines and function. Of course, I won't crap on your choice, but I view those three as "gentlemen's rifles."

Just remember you don't "need" a double to hunt Africa. You can read many stories here how someone put going off for whatever reason and something life altering change their plans as in they never went.

It's food for thought, we are not promised tomorrow.

I can’t second this enough. I was in the middle of picking an outfitter when went from a bachelor to a married man with kids. Now it’s been 5 years since i had a realistic hope of going. This week I started the path back to getting ready for Africa, Go while you can, don’t wait for things to be perfect because something will happen. Learn from my mistake

Not familiar with G&JJ. I have a Merkel that is not indexing properly and looking to find a smithing outfit that can move the barrel wedge. Do they have that ability? Thanks—
Yes they do

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maya Rani

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross