Looking for IMR 4831

Bartlett’s has IMR 7383. Supposed to be comparable to 4831. It’s surplus but it is new powder. You can read the description on line here.

From online description:
“ IMR7383 This is a slow burning stick powder originally used for the Cal. .50
M48A2 Spotter/Tracer round. This is not the same case as that known as
the .50 Browning Machine Gun cartridge. This powder is NOT recommended
for the .50 BMG round. It is a very bulky, single-based powder, composed
of 85% nitrocellulose and 15% stabilizers, flash inhibitors and graphite;
that was developed to replace the IMR4831 powder that had being used.
It has about the same propellant energy as IMR4831 when compared in equal
volume. IMR4831 data can be used. Begin with starting loads, reduced 15%
by weight.
This is new powder, not pulldown.
$65/7# jug”
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 9.38.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 9.38.18 AM.png
    585.5 KB · Views: 153
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 9.38.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 9.38.20 AM.png
    570.6 KB · Views: 160
Bartlett’s has IMR 7383. Supposed to be comparable to 4831. It’s surplus but it is new powder. You can read the description on line here.

From online description:
“ IMR7383 This is a slow burning stick powder originally used for the Cal. .50
M48A2 Spotter/Tracer round. This is not the same case as that known as
the .50 Browning Machine Gun cartridge. This powder is NOT recommended
for the .50 BMG round. It is a very bulky, single-based powder, composed
of 85% nitrocellulose and 15% stabilizers, flash inhibitors and graphite;
that was developed to replace the IMR4831 powder that had being used.
It has about the same propellant energy as IMR4831 when compared in equal
volume. IMR4831 data can be used. Begin with starting loads, reduced 15%
by weight.
This is new powder, not pulldown.
$65/7# jug”
Thank you for that!
 
Jeff is a good source for surplus and pull down powders. I got about 30# of 4895 equivalent, surplus from him a few years ago. He is easy to deal with and the listed comparable burn characteristics seem to be very close and reliable.
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 9.38.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 9.38.52 AM.png
    724.2 KB · Views: 150
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 9.38.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 9.38.54 AM.png
    735.3 KB · Views: 149
Re: 7383

I have about 50 pounds of this stuff.

Do NOT purchase this powder, expecting to get anywhere near your normal velocity as with IMR 4831. It does not have a bulk density that will allow you to get enough chemical energy into your case.
 
Oh, and the nitroguanidine makes for a fairly unique smell to the burned powder.

Cody and I nick-named this powder "cat piss". :)
 
I can't help you being so far away from Michigan. I did however give a pound of IMR 4831 to a friend just yesterday.
 
Thanks everyone for your generosity on here. I fortunately was able to get a pound of 4831. I also picked up 8 lbs of Hodgdon Hybrid 100. I should probably start a new thread for this, but I have never used that powder before. Does anyone have any load data for 25-06 with this powder? I'm planning on running 110 grain accubond with it or 115 grain partitions.
 
Catch as catch can on any powder now. You are quite fortunate to find some 4831. Personally, I wouldn't mess with that 7383 in any kind of bottle neck for serious near full pressure use. Would be fine with plinker loads in milder, more straight walled apps. That powder has been around a long time. I think the rule for use was H 4831 minus 15% with most cartridges. Because of the anti flash component, it tends to jump in pressure as the progressive burn reaches a point that "breaks through" the resistance of the anti flash component. I think I would search for any normal powder in a quantity that would last a while and be useful in your particular cartridge and preferred bullet weights.

And yes H100V would be a good possibility in the 25-06. It's listed very similar to 4350 in burn. You can go on Hodgdon's site and find some data... although right now their data site is acting squirrely.
 
Last edited:
Maybe poke around here some. I don't know if Hodgdon changed their load data format or the site is acting up :)
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 3.06.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 3.06.01 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 141
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 3.06.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 3.06.04 PM.png
    589.4 KB · Views: 185

Forum statistics

Threads
70,338
Messages
1,573,268
Members
169,732
Latest member
FaeAnders
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top