Looking for a really good handheld GPS

Garrett89

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Starting to research the topic of handheld GPS units to take along on back country hunting and fishing trips. Curious to know who recommends what. I'm the buy once cry once kind of guy so I don't want to have to replace it any time soon. Would prefer it be smaller in size so it'll fit in a pocket or pouch on my binocular harness

Garmin 64st is a good one, use mine daily for work

And, oh, they may all have it now, but make sure you get a unit with an internal barometer. These units are very accurate for elevation readings and when you're stationary, the barometer is useful for identifying rising and falling pressures that affect fish and wind speeds.

Garmin 64st is a good one, use mine daily for work
I have the 64s. Maps and charts are available for most places you'll go.

The newest version. GPSMAP® 65s

Garmin is what I use and recommend. If using in bad weather the models with buttons are good. Otherwise a touch screen can work fine too. I prefer the tactile certainty a button gives me. Especially if things get cold, wet and/or sticky.

Garmin is what I use and recommend. If using in bad weather the models with buttons are good. Otherwise a touch screen can work fine too. I prefer the tactile certainty a button gives me. Especially if things get cold, wet and/or sticky.
I prefer the buttons as well, like the oregons and montanas screen size but hate the touch screen, nothing but a PIA.

I've been using a Garmin 62SC map now for 10 years and no complaints.

While the screen is small it is no problem to zoom in or out to see what you need.

The Garmin inreach mini is hard to beat. You pair it with your smart phone, has all the functions of a larger handset but you can see everything on you phone screen.
It easy fits in jacket pocket or hanging on a carabiner on a backpack.
Texting capability from anywhere in the world. Literally anywhere… I have used mine in Antarctica, Alaska, the Middle East and Africa.

My newest is the garmen inreach explorer. Among other features, this one is nice as I can text from anywhere and it shows the recipient my gps coordinates and the texted message. There is a small monthly fee and I’ve only used it in the states but it works great. Lots of piece of mind in some offbeat places!
IMG_7951.jpeg

The Garmin inreach mini is hard to beat. You pair it with your smart phone, has all the functions of a larger handset but you can see everything on you phone screen.
It easy fits in jacket pocket or hanging on a carabiner on a backpack.
Texting capability from anywhere in the world. Literally anywhere… I have used mine in Antarctica, Alaska, the Middle East and Africa.
I have enjoyed my I reach mini as well the added satellite communication capability at a reasonable cost is very nice to have.

Have a Garmin 66i

Has worked well for my needs.

I have had my Garmin for years, it’s an old unit, never let me down. If it’s wet (as it often is in the Uk) I put it into a waterproof phone case, and it works fine.

I’ve got a 64s. Does everything I need it to do

Have you thought about a garmin watch ? If you dont need loaded maps, they are great. They can do tracks and waypoints/ breadcrumbs.

I have a 64sx and an inreach mini, but have never let me down. The mini probably could handle 99% of the situations Ive ever been in. When paired with a phone, it is extremely useful.

Ok..lots of good advice..How about battery use in the field?

Ok..lots of good advice..How about battery use in the field?

I keep mine plugged into the 12v jack in the UTV so the AA batteries are really just a back up…

That said…I’ve been running the GPS for several hours at a time, probably 20 times in the last 8 months… and I’m still on the first set of AA’s (haven’t worn them out yet)…

A little off topic, but I took an inreach mini2 on my last trip. It was great to have the ability to communicate away from camp.

I used the gps on my garmin watch paired with my phone and it worked well for my limited needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiamhEngla

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.