Looking For 600 NE Rifle

Next level stuff. There seems to be a few really good 577 options out there (bonehill 577 @ Osprey) but not much for 600's. Good luck, I admire your quest.

I have 3 different 500 NE doubles and use them. The 600 is "just because I can". I've used the 500 Jefferey on several cape buffalo and it really hurts them. I've been shooting a 570 gr. TSX @ 2130 fps for buffalo and it simply works well. I decided to try the 600 NE as if the rifle fits right and weighs enough, it should be shootable and somewhat more effective on the big critters. I own a game preserve in SA and like to hunt buffalo by tracking them after they've seen me. It is always a rush and I figured the 600 NE might be good life insurance considering my habits. I will probably kill a good ten Cape Buffalo in coming months, so the 600 NE will get used.
You're living the dream!

Tim, have you thought about contacting Ken Owen about having him make you one?

Also I would suggest contacting Champlin firearms in Enid Oklahoma; if they don’t have one I bet they would know if one is lurking about.
does anyone have ken owens contact info? i know he works on doubles so i have some work to be done if is still doing it.

many thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 9.15.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 9.15.55 AM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 9.15.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 9.15.58 AM.png
    6 MB · Views: 60
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 9.16.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 9.16.00 AM.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 47
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 9.16.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 9.16.02 AM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 47
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 9.16.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 9.16.04 AM.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 9.16.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 9.16.05 AM.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 9.16.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 9.16.07 AM.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 9.16.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 9.16.09 AM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 50
Hey Tim!...Tom here (JRH .480)
I had a early Charles Osborne but its gone and it was sweet and light at around 11pounds and I bet it had alot of history!
All the recommendations above should help you find your dream 600 (also keep checking Guns International Double Rifle Sections). Searcy was mentioned and he did me a 700HH many years back but no Nostalgia. Ken Owen built me my 4 Bore Double "Mastodon" and has built many 600s and some with spare .577 barrels too...but again no Nostalgia.
Its ashame my good friend Cal Pappas in Alaska passed as he had I think a Rhodda 600 like his 4 bore Rhodda...I do not know what has happened to his collection?
Again with all the leads above and now that you put the word out you should be owning one soon!
Good Luck on your 3 month Safari...Wow!
Thats a long time with No McDonald's or Biden Politics! Happy Trails
(Charles Osborne shown below)
Screenshot_20221227-073435_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221227-073454_Gallery.jpg

As mentioned in a earlier post William Larkin and Moore in Scottsdale has two WJ Jeffery's that the asking price is well below the H&H mentioned. The last time I stopped into their shop I looked at both (Well above my price range) They are exquisitely well made doubles. I know they are exhibitors at DSC or a quick flight to Phoenix might be worth you time to check them out and see if they meet your requirements.

Hey Tim!...Tom here (JRH .480)
I had a early Charles Osborne but its gone and it was sweet and light at around 11pounds and I bet it had alot of history!
All the recommendations above should help you find your dream 600 (also keep checking Guns International Double Rifle Sections). Searcy was mentioned and he did me a 700HH many years back but no Nostalgia. Ken Owen built me my 4 Bore Double "Mastodon" and has built many 600s and some with spare .577 barrels too...but again no Nostalgia.
Its ashame my good friend Cal Pappas in Alaska passed as he had I think a Rhodda 600 like his 4 bore Rhodda...I do not know what has happened to his collection?
Again with all the leads above and now that you put the word out you should be owning one soon!
Good Luck on your 3 month Safari...Wow!
Thats a long time with No McDonald's or Biden Politics! Happy Trails
(Charles Osborne shown below)
View attachment 507722View attachment 507723
Hi Tom, If I was not leaving for Africa right after the holidays and if I was not busy with family visiting, I would have already flown out to see the Rodda 600 that Lewis has. I know myself and if I fly out there to see the rifle, I'll end up buying it if it fits and feels right, etc.

Hi Tom, If I was not leaving for Africa right after the holidays and if I was not busy with family visiting, I would have already flown out to see the Rodda 600 that Lewis has. I know myself and if I fly out there to see the rifle, I'll end up buying it if it fits and feels right, etc.
I hear ya Bwanna Tim..BUT.. Have him do alot of photos and a short video! Lop and weight etc and get the damn thing shipped to you and take it with ya pal! Life is to short for pipsqueak guns and ugly women!
Btw...A Rhodda is a Mans Double...Don't be Scared

Below is myself in Botswana with 2 dead BuffUnique Story..Last day of hunt..1 tag left..4 hour jaunt to catch herd...then a long creep to get close to lone Buff in the thickets
Just myself and PH and Otto Candies...Ride slowly and let loose with .577 Wesley Richards..750grains screaming on its way and as I recover from recoil that sob is still standing! Barrel #2 launched and death bellow..Dead buff! High 5s with crew and as we approach there he is...then another death bellow to our right!!!! TWO SHOTS...2 DEAD BUFF in 5 Seconds!..more high 5s and one Pissed off PH!
ONE HAPPY BWANNA TOM
Screenshot_20221227-102152_Gallery.jpg

I might have RCBS dies and a few shell holders left in 600NE. I'll have to look around to see if I still have them. I believe I sold them or my 577NE last year. I'll have to look around.

As mentioned in a earlier post William Larkin and Moore in Scottsdale has two WJ Jeffery's that the asking price is well below the H&H mentioned. The last time I stopped into their shop I looked at both (Well above my price range) They are exquisitely well made doubles. I know they are exhibitors at DSC or a quick flight to Phoenix might be worth you time to check them out and see if they meet your requirements.
Hi AZDAVE, I bought both of those WJ Jefferies today, unseen, other than the pics on Guns International. I hope they fit and feel right. I do not like spending that kind of money without seriously checking out the rifles first. William Larkin Moore gave me almost a 10% discount from their listing price on both. Even though they are WJ Jeffery rifles, they were made by Westly Richards, etc., etc., etc.

With Cal Pappas’s passing his rifles will be sold. I read there will be an auction. His collection included a pre-war Wilkes 600 Nitro. I am not sure if he still owned it at the time of his passing, but it may be worth following up.

I hear ya Bwanna Tim..BUT.. Have him do alot of photos and a short video! Lop and weight etc and get the damn thing shipped to you and take it with ya pal! Life is to short for pipsqueak guns and ugly women!
Btw...A Rhodda is a Mans Double...Don't be Scared

Below is myself in Botswana with 2 dead BuffUnique Story..Last day of hunt..1 tag left..4 hour jaunt to catch herd...then a long creep to get close to lone Buff in the thickets
Just myself and PH and Otto Candies...Ride slowly and let loose with .577 Wesley Richards..750grains screaming on its way and as I recover from recoil that sob is still standing! Barrel #2 launched and death bellow..Dead buff! High 5s with crew and as we approach there he is...then another death bellow to our right!!!! TWO SHOTS...2 DEAD BUFF in 5 Seconds!..more high 5s and one Pissed off PH!
ONE HAPPY BWANNA TOMView attachment 507782

Not to deviate too far from the original post, but what year was this. That looks like Otto Sr and he passed in the 90s IIRC.

Hi AZDAVE, I bought both of those WJ Jefferies today, unseen, other than the pics on Guns International. I hope they fit and feel right. I do not like spending that kind of money without seriously checking out the rifles first. William Larkin Moore gave me almost a 10% discount from their listing price on both. Even though they are WJ Jeffery rifles, they were made by Westly Richards, etc., etc., etc.
This may be my favorite post I've read on AH. @Tim Sundles , you sir put your money where your mouth (and heart) is/are. Please do keep us posted on your 3 months over the pond.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 7.55.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 7.55.43 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 7.55.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 7.55.44 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 41
A little late to the party, and may not be exactly what you’re after, but I saw this one on Guns International as well as George’s website.

Look at the weight....12.2lbs is far too light for this calibre..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you