Looking at 2.5-10 scope options

I suggest the Leupold 2.5-8X VX3i, 36 mm. I have it on my Ruger #1 in 30-06. It suits me well for caribou, moose, and goat this year. Clear and relatively lightweight. I'll admit I've yet to shoot a caribou beyond 260-ish, most under 200, and moose is not a long range thing to me, maybe 200. But I had a goat in the sights at over 300 last week with confidence had it not been in some completely inaccesible spot.

Last edited:
My wife and I have this scope on our 338's, a nice solid scope that has accounted for a number of successful hunts.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 9.15.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 9.15.36 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 117
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 9.15.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 9.15.39 AM.png
    535.3 KB · Views: 117
Wyatt I'm tracking Ebay currently. A generic 3-9 or 4-12 scope would be easy to find for cheap. That might end up being what ends up on the 308. Really as long as they can plug caribou in the fall with it I'll be happy. Maybe save up a bit to get a nicer 2-10 of some kind for the 375.

I took stock of my hunting the last couple years and realized if I could have financed a nice fly out float hunt; if I had blown less money on various toys I didn't technically need (new 358 rifle project restocking my 375 etc). So now I'm only spending money on stuff that significantly increases my ability to kill game. As of right now the priorities are 1. a better range finder (I skipped a shot at caribou because I couldn't range them). 2. Better scopes for 300+yard ranges.

I'd check out Primary Arms, Athlon Optics, and SWFA, they usually always have plenty to choose from. Something to keep in mind is that with budget scopes you usually get budget turrets, so I'd say go with a MIL reticle and not rely on dialing all the time (holding is faster anyway).

Since you're serious about these scopes (not taking that shot on that Caribou hurts!) I'd honestly skip BDC reticles and take the time to learn how to use a MIL holdover system, this will give you much more flexibility with calibers/ round selections in the future. There's a guy named Ryan Cleckner with National Shooting Sports Foundation on youtube (former Ranger Bat Sniper) with some good videos on this, breaks it down simple so even youngsters can understand. Look for "Understanding Mils".

Taking the time to learn these style reticles will pay dividends for all things shooting going forward (Steel, groundhogs, deer, whatever). BDC reticles are easy for companies to sell, because they market well. But if you take the time to know what your MIL holds are based off using a laser range finder, round type, specific gun, and where your rounds are going to be, it's much more accurate. Also if you want to get the most out of any holdover reticle a First Focal Plane is a better option, this way your subtensions don't change through the magnification range.

Something like the Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP in 4-16 seems like too much at first, but honestly I think if you spent the time and learned it you'd thank yourself. You're getting a lot of scope for the $350 (on primary arms website). Vortex warranties are hard to beat as well.

Look into a Sightron STAC 2-10x32. I’ve got a few of these, 30mm tube and can usually find for less than $300 on sale.

Ryan I'd missed that Leopold, thanks. A bit out of the current budget but maybe someday.

AZDAVE that Vortex Viper HS2.5-10 looks perfect, except for the price. Maybe I'll find a used one someday.

Corey good thoughts on MIL scopes. For the kids either would probably work. But now that I think about it we could do a fun math lesson. Not joking. I tutor kids at school so maybe a "math for snipers" lesson would be fun. For me personally a MIL scope would probably work better for range estimation. The 375 drops much more dramatically. If I'm going to make it work at 400 yards I need to be precise. Good point on FFP scopes to. A kid might not dial a scope all the way up and that would goof up the whole process.

TNDave that Sightron is one I'd missed. It might be a bit nice for a kid gun but it is only about 12oz so it would go perfectly on my 375. Maybe someday.

Regarding image quality I've had descent luck with both budget Leopolds and budget Vortex scopes. The image quality has been close enough that I'm more interested in things like weight, reticles etc.

Well the “hunt” continues. I was thinking about a custom reticle in a Leupold 2-7 for my 375. But their custom shop is shutdown. They told me I could run their Freedom 2-7 Rimfire on the 375. They say its just as tough as the regular 2-7 but is got hash marks so I can work out a point of aim for longer shots. That might be the way I go with that rifle.

For the 308 the Burris Fulfield 2.5-10 is looking pretty good.

I have had good success with Burris. Haven’t used one on a 375, but up to 300 WM. Currently using a 4.5-14x on a 222. A 3-9x with the BDC on a 223. And a 3-15x Veracity sitting in a box. The Veracity has too fine of reticles and too many hash marks for my old eyes. I’m moving toward all illuminated dot reticles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg