Long Range - My Take

I guess I’m lucky to have an uncle who was really into hunting and shooting, training for the hunt @ distance up to 800-1000 ,
He would collect milk , juice, water bottles and secretly go out to the ranch and set up a hunting shooting course, shots could be 100 yards or 600 , no bench shooting, only rocks, trees, stumps as rest , only using the same equipment you hunted with ,
It was like a split between golf and sporting clays and it’s great fun having to figure distance, wind , ect in a mock hunting game
 
I really like this answer. There's a lot of wisdom here. I'm not a fortune teller and flight time can be a make or break
At 30-06 velocities, 400 yards is about half a second of flight time for a 180gr.
 
@NIGHTHAWK , Training is always a good idea, long range, sure, if you have the opportunity.

Where I live, civilians will have access to no more than a 200 meters range. If you have access to a military facility, then 300 meters is normal.

Long range facilities where snipers train are rare and very difficult to access for a civilian.

So for hunting purposes I sight my rifles with a 100m zero and secondary 200m zero, and try to shoot within these limits, although my last roe deer was taken at 247m.

I Africa, most of what I´ve shot has been within 100m, but if someone is plannig to shoot an Ibex or Marco Polo in Eastern Asia, then they need the equipment and training for the really long shots !
 
I love hunting and shooting. I think long range shooting definitely helps me be a better shooter and hunter. This is my favorite western rifle. 28 Nosler. 175NABLR’s @ 3090fps. I love the Burris Eliminator scope for speed and ease of use when hunting. I normally shoot elk at just under 500 yards out here on the plains of Wyoming. I have not missed or wounded any elk.
IMG_0317.jpeg
Ballistic-X-Export-2021-03-10 20:01:41.015881.jpeg
 
I burn a lot of powder with my 6.5 PRC shooting 142 gr Nosler AB LR. Yesterday I fired 6 shots at 600. 3 prone w bipods and 3 sitting with a tripod. The result was a 6 shot, 4” group centered on the bull. To me this is just fun. I don’t intend to hunt at that range as wind and flight time create a lot of variables. But for Coues I need to be able to shoot 500 comfortably, which, if the wind isn’t crazy, I can do.

Today I went down to the range and shot these two targets in calm conditions to confirm my windage adjustment:

Image1728248071.525564.jpg

200 yard cold bore shot

Image1728248094.605835.jpg

7/8” three shot group at 300
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,401
Messages
1,575,116
Members
170,223
Latest member
Molly91615
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top