Long Pants or Shorts for South African Hunt???

I'd wear pants. It seems like everything has thorns, etc., on them. Your arms will be plenty scratched up if you wear short sleeves.

If you are going to be doing a lot of walking you might want to consider a kilt. That way you don't have to stop to take a leak. Watch out for the thorns!

A bit a revival: At the Africa Hunting show we were at recently I met a nice couple who had hunted many times in Africa. They had a booth to just help others with information about hunting in Africa. One bit of advice they had was to hunt in shorts. They claimed the thorns left in the material of long pants was a greater nuisance than just putting up with some scratches. They also emphasized gaiters which I knew about.

Long trousers and sock protectors. Quality material will deflect most seeds but woolen socks attract them so I wear protectors even with longs.

No Bullets needed ,Plains Game would die laughing if I hunted in shorts

I liked my safari pants from Cabelas with the zip option. Started out long, as the day got warmer, zipped off the lower. I second the layering system. Maybe a fleece jacket, rain/wind breaker for cool mornings. Ann was in the cab on our safari, so I was up top with the trackers. Needed that wind breaker on top of the fleece a couple mornings.

Got the zip off leg bottom pants from Cabelas myself. They worked out great! Wearing shorts is asking for trouble if you take an aspirin a day like me. Lot of thorns out there!

Lots of guys with sensitive legs on this thread. Oh well.

I say go with the shorts. You might get scratched, but the thorns won't hold you up the way they will if they catch on pant legs. Skin doesn't hold them the way fabric does.

Wait-a-bit thorns are a different matter, but if you get hooked by these, you're no worse off with the shorts than you would be with the pants. And I actually think it's easier to get them out of your skin than your pants.

But that's just me. Other than Brickburn, we here in Canada are made of sterner stuff.

Shorts. The bush is not your friend. Walk around it. Not through it. :D

That was a lesson learned in about two minutes in my first stroll in Namibia. I could not figure out why the PH was bobbing and weaving ahead of me.

I found out.
101_6144.jpg

Reactions: lcq
That was a lesson learned in about two minutes in my first stroll in Namibia. I could not figure out why the PH was bobbing and weaving ahead of me.

I found out.
View attachment 54924

Oh boy do I remember those, like poison ivy you never forget what they look like.

Me I do longs because

1. thorns
2. I hate sunscreen
3. I treat them to keep the ticks off

I wore mountain khaki's brush pants, they are quiet, not too heavy weigh and impenetrable by thorns, I wear them everyday while working in the woods too, and i have pairs that are 4 years old.

- but over there magnum PI short shorts are still in style so its up to you really. :)

Permetherin your pants cant say enough about the stuff it keeps ticks off 100%, 1 treatment let it dry before you touch your clothes and your good for a month or 4-5 wash cycles.

Its 6 months after my trip, anytime i want to think about them walks i hike my pants up or down depending where i am and check out the scars and go back in time "ahh i remember when that cut happened on the hillside" or "the jumping cactus springbok hunt" still a few though i don't remember, but they bled more than some.
Bringing shorts regardless my next trip (along with pants) just in case

I always wore long: Vertx brand light canvas type ( am a dealer so where easy to get). My PH wore long. The outfitter/owner & who is also a PH (& his son) always wore shorts & short gaiters over his boots - ever any issues. My wife & I had just spent 2 weeks in equatorial Africa (90-110 degree heat) so we were more comfortable in Limpopo's cooler mornings & evenings.... But, I could have made shorts work...

I was in Namibia which is no less thorny.....I bought pants that zip off into shorts from a Tag safari clothing. Well made and comfortable.

Look at the legs of your PH. They are brown, scratched and scarred. Do you want to be similar?

Do not look too long. It may cause concern.

Wheels: You mentioned the Kilt. Perhaps some Scottish ancestry? I 'd guess the noise of a zipper concerning even to sheep. Impala may be un-educated.

Long pants the best for anyone from the North. We have to protect self from the sun with long pants and shirt, while PH is lightly dressed and cooler because of it.

Consider a face net. $2 at army surplus, and no need for sticky sunscreen. A little help with camo for that white face and no burned lips or nose..........consider leggins.........sock protectors.............also at army surplus........................................FWB

Wheels: You mentioned the Kilt. Perhaps some Scottish ancestry? I 'd guess the noise of a zipper concerning even to sheep. Impala may be un-educated.
.FWB

Forgot I had even made the comment. Evidently another poor attempt at humor on my part. :oops:

Don't think I would want to wear a kilt with the thorns in Africa. :eek: Might be afraid of the prick!:whistle:

Wheels - please, it's Friday. Fast Times at Ridgemont High. "He's just a little prick!" painted on the door of the car. :ROFLMAO:

I found out.
View attachment 54924
Ha ha ha!!
I remember the bobbing and weaving well .
Unfortunately I have an artificial hip in one leg and 16 bolts and a lot off steel in the other .
The ph weighed nothing but i weigh 18 stone before dinner !
I just could not fit through the same bloody gaps .
Answer , wear shorts put up with the scratches , or spend all day untangling yourself and trying to keep up .
Who cares what you look like in shorts , its not a fashion parade .!!
africa - 247.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!