Loading ammunition for Double rifles

Hallgeir Gravråk

AH veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2018
Messages
171
Reaction score
452
Location
Norway
Media
120
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
4
Europe
2
Member of
SCI Nordic Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia
I wonder how do you guys reload your ammo for use in doublerifles?
I`m thinking, the double maybe sensitive for hard loads, maximum and over loads.
I heard that the force when you shoot can twist the barrels apart.
Somebody in here that have some experience?
 
Doubles require a different approach - they are "sensitive" to every load. Maximum anything is hard on most rifles - with a double it will hasten the rifle shooting "off face" - no quite sure I understand what you mean by twisting the barrels apart. But that really isn't the point. Key is shooting a load which regulates. The original rimmed nitro loads were developed to provide a heavy bullet at moderate velocity with relatively low operating pressures (though the original cordite loads fluctuated wildly with the ambient temperatures). With modern powders, most nitro doubles regulate around 2100-2200 fps; the correct powders achieve that well within normal operating pressures. Some of the modern rifles are regulated with Hornady factory loads, and hand-loading to those specs should keep you within normal operating ranges. A be-spoke English rifle can be regulated to any load the buyer requests. A fine double is not a platform for playing around with max-pressure loads.
 
Many members of AH are hand loaders. A lot of them based on various posts seem to always be trying to get bigger and bigger bullets to move faster and faster! Each to his own. But if I were you with consideration on reloading for your double....pay attention to Red Leg and Brickburn.
 
My double rifle are regulated with Norma 300 grs TXP ammo,
It`s a A-Frame bullet, loaded to 2560 fps.
My normal loads go to 2500 fps max load is at 2550 fps.

I use Norma 203B powder.
 
Doubles require a different approach - they are "sensitive" to every load. Maximum anything is hard on most rifles - with a double it will hasten the rifle shooting "off face" - no quite sure I understand what you mean by twisting the barrels apart. But that really isn't the point. Key is shooting a load which regulates. The original rimmed nitro loads were developed to provide a heavy bullet at moderate velocity with relatively low operating pressures (though the original cordite loads fluctuated wildly with the ambient temperatures). With modern powders, most nitro doubles regulate around 2100-2200 fps; the correct powders achieve that well within normal operating pressures. Some of the modern rifles are regulated with Hornady factory loads, and hand-loading to those specs should keep you within normal operating ranges. A be-spoke English rifle can be regulated to any load the buyer requests. A fine double is not a platform for playing around with max-pressure loads.
I mean that the rotation force from the bullet are twisting the barrels apart, if you go with maximum load and stiff bullet.
 
Dear Hallgeir Gravrak,...

Forget all this woodoo about regulation of double rifles!

They can be regulated to every point of impact you want, at every distance you want, with a screw driver and an allen key.

..whatever an ammunition you want to use....
DSC01093.JPG
DSC01098.JPG
 
Thats correct, I find out that my Krieghoff have a screw betwen the barrels in front.
 
Thats correct, I find out that my Krieghoff have a screw betwen the barrels in front.

In K gun it depends on the calibre, my 9.3x74R barrels are easily adjustable but the 470 ones are soldered.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,309
Messages
1,572,428
Members
169,566
Latest member
billfishes
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top