Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
SCI Nordic Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia
I wonder how do you guys reload your ammo for use in doublerifles?
I`m thinking, the double maybe sensitive for hard loads, maximum and over loads.
I heard that the force when you shoot can twist the barrels apart.
Somebody in here that have some experience?

Doubles require a different approach - they are "sensitive" to every load. Maximum anything is hard on most rifles - with a double it will hasten the rifle shooting "off face" - no quite sure I understand what you mean by twisting the barrels apart. But that really isn't the point. Key is shooting a load which regulates. The original rimmed nitro loads were developed to provide a heavy bullet at moderate velocity with relatively low operating pressures (though the original cordite loads fluctuated wildly with the ambient temperatures). With modern powders, most nitro doubles regulate around 2100-2200 fps; the correct powders achieve that well within normal operating pressures. Some of the modern rifles are regulated with Hornady factory loads, and hand-loading to those specs should keep you within normal operating ranges. A be-spoke English rifle can be regulated to any load the buyer requests. A fine double is not a platform for playing around with max-pressure loads.

............... A fine double is not a platform for playing around with max-pressure loads.

That's what a bolt gun is for. :D

Many members of AH are hand loaders. A lot of them based on various posts seem to always be trying to get bigger and bigger bullets to move faster and faster! Each to his own. But if I were you with consideration on reloading for your double....pay attention to Red Leg and Brickburn.

My double rifle are regulated with Norma 300 grs TXP ammo,
It`s a A-Frame bullet, loaded to 2560 fps.
My normal loads go to 2500 fps max load is at 2550 fps.

I use Norma 203B powder.

Doubles require a different approach - they are "sensitive" to every load. Maximum anything is hard on most rifles - with a double it will hasten the rifle shooting "off face" - no quite sure I understand what you mean by twisting the barrels apart. But that really isn't the point. Key is shooting a load which regulates. The original rimmed nitro loads were developed to provide a heavy bullet at moderate velocity with relatively low operating pressures (though the original cordite loads fluctuated wildly with the ambient temperatures). With modern powders, most nitro doubles regulate around 2100-2200 fps; the correct powders achieve that well within normal operating pressures. Some of the modern rifles are regulated with Hornady factory loads, and hand-loading to those specs should keep you within normal operating ranges. A be-spoke English rifle can be regulated to any load the buyer requests. A fine double is not a platform for playing around with max-pressure loads.
I mean that the rotation force from the bullet are twisting the barrels apart, if you go with maximum load and stiff bullet.

Dear Hallgeir Gravrak,...

Forget all this woodoo about regulation of double rifles!

They can be regulated to every point of impact you want, at every distance you want, with a screw driver and an allen key.

..whatever an ammunition you want to use....
DSC01093.JPG
DSC01098.JPG

Thats correct, I find out that my Krieghoff have a screw betwen the barrels in front.

Thats correct, I find out that my Krieghoff have a screw betwen the barrels in front.

In K gun it depends on the calibre, my 9.3x74R barrels are easily adjustable but the 470 ones are soldered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VerlaMarti

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!