Load recommendations for 416 Rem Mag?

Winchester became well aware of problems associated with compressed ball powder loads in their 458 WM ammo in their attempt to have the 458 WM perform up to predetermined, market driven minimum velocity standards. A few cycles of ammo into high temperatures over some time and presto- congealed/caked powder and very unreliable ammo performance.
I believe (wasn't there so ...) Win Mag problems were more about the chemistry of the powder than compression. Many people have long term compressed loads ( 1 member on this forum states 30 years storage ) that perform exactly as they say on the box. I have also seen numerous reports of 303 ammo and other hunting cartridges that were not compressed at all having clumping problems. As I said, I think it is wrong chemistry that causes powder to degrade and not compression.
 
I believe (wasn't there so ...) Win Mag problems were more about the chemistry of the powder than compression. Many people have long term compressed loads ( 1 member on this forum states 30 years storage ) that perform exactly as they say on the box. I have also seen numerous reports of 303 ammo and other hunting cartridges that were not compressed at all having clumping problems. As I said, I think it is wrong chemistry that causes powder to degrade and not compression.

To say that the chemistry and physical characteristics of that powder alone was responsible for the erratic internal ballistics experienced by the 458 WM is likely not correct. I would imagine that Winchester (Olin) used that particular powder or other ball powders of that chemistry in many of their cartridges during that time and there simply isn't the history of similar erratic internal ballistics from those carts.... no matter though, every reloader makes their own choices. I simply have chosen not to compress loads and it's certainly my choice not to compress ball powder loads and in general I avoid ball powders. What anyone else does is their business.
 
long range target and benchrest shooters do not use a lot of ball powders to this day due to carbon fouling in the barrel that goes ceramic.
bruce.
 
I use to shoot the 400gr TSX out of my 416rem, but have since switched to the 350gr TSX. The 350 shoots very flat, still hits hard, and seems to recoil less. In all of my load testing with 416 rem, H4895 has proven to be the best powder for me. IMO, the 350gr TSX makes an already versatile cartridge even more versatile.

 

Attachments

  • 20160622-202152.jpg
    20160622-202152.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 194
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,342
Messages
1,573,453
Members
169,749
Latest member
LeoraBoelk
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top