Liver Anyone?

Limpopo 2018, 41" sable. The PH, camp cook and tracker said they would try it, maybe? My son would prepare the main course. Sliced thin, soaked in salt water to draw out any blood, then soaked in a baggie full of 3% milk in the fridge for three days, oops, it was supposed to be only one day. Breaded with flour, then fried in a pan with butter, and served with fried onions and bacon. The PH, cook and tracker couldn't believe the delicacy of the liver and there wasn't a morsel left after supper.
I haven't had liver since I was a kid growing up on the farm. I do like liverwurst for sandwiches occasionally.
 
Another option: You can make braunschweiger out of any edible livers. The best (mildest) that I have made was from calves' liver, but venison liver is usually just as mild. Liver sausage uses the same procedures and materials, but has a different spice profile.

Several years ago, I posted articles on AH outlining carcass prep, butchering and several kinds of meat processing. I don't remember if it included braunschweiger manufacturing as well. Take a look. If you cannot find it, I can try looking in my recipe books for procedures. Spice mixes can be obtained online or at the larger sporting goods stores.

PS: I managed multiple USDA inspected meat slaughter and processing plants in my 30+ year career. Two of which produced 20,000 lbs of braunschweiger daily. I'm not new to this subject.
Sausage Making III - Casings & Stuffing:

 
Fresh Bushbuck liver on the camp fire ,partly sliced through,seasoned with coarse salt ,best there is for me
 
I have not had Liver and onions since my grandmother died in 1972 and have not had Braunschweiger since my mother died in 2000. No plans to resume eating either, but I will admit that Braunschweiger is not to bad.
 
Sausage Making III - Casings & Stuffing:

Thanks!
 
I think enjoying liver is an acquired taste, like so many other things. But that being said, Ive never woken up on the floor by eating liver, can't really say the same about tequila, gin, rum and whisky.
 
Last time I ate liver I threw up. My mother offered me $10 to eat it when I was 15, and it did not stay in my stomach long. Since then, I get nauseated and will not eat any mammal liver.

That being said, I love a properly prepared foie gras, go figure.

1654444740251.png
 
I saved a liver from a fresh deer kill. I waited till my Wife wasn't home to cook it so she wouldn't complain about smelling up the house. I carefully fried the onions then the liver. Took one bite and threw it out.
I like chicken and turkey liver. This was vile.
 
Last time I ate liver I threw up. My mother offered me $10 to eat it when I was 15, and it did not stay in my stomach long. Since then, I get nauseated and will not eat any mammal liver.

That being said, I love a properly prepared foie gras, go figure.

View attachment 469803

A thick slice of foie gras seared in a pan for a few minutes and then on top of some fresh french bread! Was one of the appetizers available during this weekends’ festivities.
 
How about our German/ European members chime in with Leberkäse. @VertigoBE this is you to shine with your new culinary skills

Leberkäse, as mentioned by @Nyati not containing any liver, is not something I’m particularly fond of… :P
 
You know I forgot one, it's been a long time, chicken liver wrapped in bacon and grilled makes a good appetizer. Serve it with grilled dove breast wrapped in bacon. Hmm can't wait for September. Bacon goes with everything.
 
Hear me out.

With the benefits of grassfed beef liver being all the rage now, I’ve been contemplating keeping the livers from my plains game hunt coming up next month.

I can’t stomach cooked liver. I don’t know what it is, but be that as it may I’m considering dehydrating the livers from my PG and making liver capsules myself for personal consumption. This brings me to my question; surely this is not unheard of?

Of course the health benefits may not be the same and the livers will have different mineral make-ups to that of beef, but unless someone knowledgeable in the subject can say otherwise I’m sure they’ll be just fine to consume in moderation.

The dehydrator and capsules supply is no problem.

Thoughts? Criticisms? Be nice

I’ve never had a milder liver than impala. It’s hovering right around the metallic or earthy intensity of a beet or foie gras. Battered and deep fried, it’s a hunter’s favorite for camp appetizers.
 
I always say that we were never rich when I was growing up but we never had to resort to eating the organs!

No spank you very much!:E Nono:
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,313
Messages
1,572,577
Members
169,587
Latest member
MalcolmVan
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top