Lions - Captive vs. Wild-managed

mrpoindexter

AH fanatic
Joined
Sep 6, 2016
Messages
924
Reaction score
1,985
Media
81
Hunting reports
Africa
3
Asia/M.East
1
Member of
SCI, DSC, NFAA
Hunted
Australia, Canada, Greenland, Namibia, Spain, South Africa, UAE, USA, Zambia, Zimbabwe
I understand what a captive bred lion is. I also understand what a wild lion is.

What is a wild-managed lion and where in South Africa would one find wild or wild-managed lions?

I have recently hunted a captive bred lion and it was the hunt of a lifetime. I guess now the greenies and anti's are going to make me go shoot another lion to bring a trophy back. Although I don't think that was their intent, it seems like it is going to be the effect.

Or do we think there will be any chance of getting my CBL imported in the near future?
 
I understand what a captive bred lion is. I also understand what a wild lion is.

What is a wild-managed lion and where in South Africa would one find wild or wild-managed lions?

I have recently hunted a captive bred lion and it was the hunt of a lifetime. I guess now the greenies and anti's are going to make me go shoot another lion to bring a trophy back. Although I don't think that was their intent, it seems like it is going to be the effect.

Or do we think there will be any chance of getting my CBL imported in the near future?
I don't know the answer, but hopefully someone here will, since I am sure there is a lot of mutual interest!
 
Lions are the most controversial subject by far here in SA at the moment.
I understand the ideas and how they work but will wait for more info to be ale to give more clarity to this subject.

Any one out there care to advise a bit further.
 
Captive bred lions are just that . They are lions born and raised in captivity normally in pens of varying sizes and rely on their keepers to feed them. They are then released between 4 days and 6 months depending on province to be hunted on areas ranging from 1000ha to 10 000ha and bigger .

Wild managed lions are lions that have been born and raised in a natural setting on private or government reserve . There is no human imprinting - theoretically.

My understanding
 
Thanks Dave
seems simple enough
 
Here you go:

These respective populations are defined as follows:

1.Wild lions completely fulfil their role inbiodiversity processes and are largely unmanaged, and exist only in formally proclaimed national parks and game reserves. Conservationists do not actively manipulate vital rates and lion demographics.

2. Managed wild lions include all lions that have been re-introduced into smaller fenced reserves (<1000km2), and are managed to limit population growth and maintain genetic diversity. Managers actively manipulate some vital rates and demographics.

3. Captive lions are bred exclusively to generate money. Managers actively manipulate all vital rates and demographics.

BIODIVERSITY MANAGEMENT PLAN FOR THE AFRICAN LION (PANTHERA LEO)
http://pmg-assets.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/170523africanlion.pdf
 
If we can repeal the Endangered Species Act we could stop all this government nonsense by USFWS. We should be able to hunt anything anywhere that is legal and simply go through US Customs.
Do you hear SCI or DSC or anyone else calling for the repeal of ESA? Why not we control the full government. I'm tired of having all the ideas and always being right but never ever listened too.
Thoughts anyone?
Philip
 
The GOP does not seem to be able to get things done with full control. Even if they did, I don't expect a repeal of the ESA to be on their short list.
 
In short- yes the greenies are going to force you to hunt another lion if you want to bring one home. In the long run the greenies want to ban you from bringing either home.

On the topic but slightly different, I see lots of folks "gambling" that different bans will be lifted and they'll eventually be able to import animals shot during the ban. Has this ever happened in US history? I know you hope to get your ele home but that was a Zim issue not necessarily a USFW issue as with the lions.
 
I wish the USA would just follow CITES and stop following the emotional cries of the "anti-hunters". I wish we would just use good old common sense!
 
I wish the USA would just follow CITES and stop following the emotional cries of the "anti-hunters". I wish we would just use good old common sense!

And that folks is the answer to the age old question........what's wrong with government!
 
I wish we would just use good old common sense!

The problem with common sense in government is that it isn't all that common
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,314
Messages
1,572,597
Members
169,592
Latest member
digitalonetick
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top