Clark8907

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA, South Africa
Another trip to Limcroma Safaris in the books. A couple buddies and I flew out on 1 May with an arrival in Joburg on 2 May. We spent the first night at Africa Sky, it was amazing as always, and left the following morning to head to Thabazimbi to meet our PHs and head the rest of the way to camp. The ride was nice and relaxing as usual. Especially when you have first time African hunters in the truck, and they are pointing out every animal within sight! It is nice to see the excitement they are experiencing.

For this trip I purchased a Bergara Crest 7mm PRC. I brought my custom 300 win mag last year and wanted something with a shorter barrel, especially when running a suppressor. That was at least my justification to the wife on why I needed another gun. I shot handloaded 150gr TTSX bullets out of the 7 PRC. I was absolutely astonished at how amazing this gun performed. I took seven animals on this trip and none of the animals went more than 40 yards, and most were DRT. The amount of internal damage was also catastrophic.

Before I get into the hunting, I want to just say how awesome Limcroma Safaris truly is. I started hunting there three years ago. From the first hunt to the last, they have made me feel like family. Their facilities are top notch…better than or just as nice as any five start resort I have ever stayed in. The food is second to none. I travel a lot with work and when getting paid per diem I have the opportunity to try some really nice restaurants and will pick the food prepared by the chef at Limcroma over any of them! The staff is very courteous, polite, and professional. Everyone there is always so nice! My PH…Jan-Lou….is amazing. He is not only my PH, but a great friend. He and I have a great time hunting together. We laugh, joke, talk crap, and it makes the time go by that much quicker.

Hannes Els, the owner of Limcroma, has built an empire. He has developed one of the most amazing hunting outfits in all of Africa. I have had other buddies hunt elsewhere and when I hear their stories of the hunt, how the operation is ran, no management practices in place, etc.….I am always very glad I hunt with Limcroma. I will never hunt with another outfitter. Why would I when Limcroma has been so amazing and good to me? Not to mention, they have concessions all over Africa for differing animal species I eventually want to take and manage all their properties meticulously for trophy animals! Thank you Limcroma for all you do and running and outfit the way it should be run.

20240503_121557.jpg
20240503_131450.jpg

Day 1

Upon arrival at the camp, around 1200 on 3 May, we had a quick bite to eat, unpacked, and headed to the range to check the rifles. This is the first trip I have hunted with someone. My two previous trips it was just me and my PH. I was a little worried I would not enjoy hunting with someone else, but I must say it was nice. It was like getting to do two hunts in one. Both my rifle and my buddy David’s rifle were right were we left them before heading over.

That afternoon we were going to go hunt a property to try and get David a Blesbok, Gemsbok, or both. Once we arrived at this property, about a 25min drive from camp, we hoped on the high rack to begin looking. It was still really hot, and the animal movement was minimal. Plus, this property, in most areas was super thick. After riding around a bit to see if we could spot something, the PH said, “hey let’s take a little walk.” From my previous trips, I knew exactly what that meant lol! A little walk has always meant walking for quite a distance. For this afternoon hunt, that wasn’t the case.

We had walked maybe 300 yards when Jan-Lou spotted a herd of Blesbok. The wind was wrong for us to approach them on the same path, so we attempted to loop around. However, not far into our loop we got busted by a herd of gemsbok we hadn’t seen. They inadvertently ran straight towards the Blesbok and they were all off for the races.

Jan-lou said, “I have a really good idea where they are headed.” So we follow him through the thicket nastiest brush on the property I think. As we come to an open lane, low an behold, there is an old ancient Blesbok out there feeding all by himself at about 300 yards. We dip back into the thick brush to get a bit closer as my buddy has never really shot over 150-200 yards. We pop back out on the edge of the lane and are now about 130 yards away. However, the blesbok is now facing us and now way to get up on the sticks. He eventually turns and we ease out into the lane and throw the sticks up. The blesbok is still trucking directly away from us. Jan-Lou yells and the Blesbok stops and turns broadside. My buddy hammers him. The animal did a legit backflip and was DRT. The excitement and pure joy in my buddy’s eyes is an image I will never forget. We walk up to the very dead Blesbok and he is an ancient boy. PH said he wouldn’t have made it through the winter. We get some pics and throw the Blesbok in the bed of the truck and pour some water on him to ensure there’s no hair slip and we begin searching for a gemsbok.

By now it has cooled off quite a bit and we have around an hour left of shooting light. We see zebra, giraffe, a couple warthog sows, and finally a group of Gemsbok. However, they are in a very open area and no way to get close to them. My buddy doesn’t want to shoot from the truck, so we proceed on. With about 15-20 minutes left of good shooting light, we spot some Gemsbok and they are heading to one of the big, long open lanes on the property. We jump off the truck and head to the lane to try and intercept them. This plan almost worked lol! They did come of the lane but were literally on top of us where they popped out and we were pointed down the lane, in the middle of the lane waiting. They were literally 10 yards from us. The area they were coming from was so thick we couldn’t’ see them until they go to the edge. Unfortunately, we were unable to get a shot off, but the excitement and adrenaline was sky high from them getting so close and my buddy taking his first African animal.
20240503_153336.jpg
20240503_153337.jpg
20240503_153839.jpg
20240503_155420.jpg
20240503_160640.jpg
20240503_165353.jpg

So my list this year was kind of all over the place. Bushbuck was number one on the list, as it would complete my South African Spiral Slam. We headed to a huge concession that has a little over 9 miles of river frontage to get on a Bushbuck. The plan was to hunt here all day. There were also some really big Kudu that had been seen on this property with varying other animals as well.

We start the morning off great. We start seeing young male and female bushbuck almost immediately. Then, we look across the river on the Botswana side and there is an absolute toad of a bushbuck. Unfortunately, we can’t hunt that side! I mean this guy just stood there in all his glory wit the sun beating down on him. I was up for the challenge to swim across before the crocs could get me, but the PH was game for my thoughts. We continued the morning walking the river seeing some nice waterbuck and a really nice kudu. We did this until around 10 when we got on the truck to look for impala for my buddy.
20240504_070316.jpg
20240504_070336.jpg
20240504_071428.jpg
20240504_094754.jpg

We weren’t on the truck long when we saw a huge herd of impala. My buddy and the PH jumped off the truck. They were gone for quite a while. I sat waiting to hear the shot at any moment, but it never came. Then the call came over the radio to pick them up. Apparently, they could never get in good position on the ram in the group and the wind was constantly shifting on them.

We continued to drive around until around lunch. We saw tons of other game, but nothing we were looking for. At lunch we went to a blind with a watering hole in hopes something would come in. We ate lunch, took a little siesta, but nothing ever showed.

Around three we were back on the truck heading back down to the river. We proceeded to walk a portion of the river we didn’t walk that morning. This side was much much thicker and took us away from the riverbank somewhat. We still saw some bushbuck here and there, but nothing like that morning. However, around 1630-1700 we ran into a group of Impala. We sat there and watched a herd of ewes forever and ever. We kept thinking there had to be ram with them. Finally, just as we were getting ready to try to ease around them, we see his horns appear over a hill. My buddy had been on the sticks for quite some time now. These impalas were feeding no more than 40-50 yards away. The ram finally came out to where my buddy would have a good shot, but there was impala all behind him. What seemed like eternity, probably only 2-3mins, the PH told him he was clear and to take the shot if he felt comfortable. My buddy’s shot rang out and the Ram just stood there. What? Is it possible he just missed a shot at 40-50 yards? The old boy slowly took a step or two, then I saw his back legs spread out and the wobble dance began. Then he toppled over and my buddy had his second animal in the salt! We got the glory shots taken care of then the tracker took the animal to the skinning shed on this property and took care of it.
20240504_160333.jpg
20240504_160340.jpg
20240504_160341.jpg
20240504_160441.jpg

We proceeded to walk the rest of the afternoon and never laid eyes on another bushbuck. 13 miles walked this day! I was a little tired at the end of this day and my hatred for the bushbuck increased even more lol. This animal is my kryptonite. I have had opportunities in the past to kill some mature rams, but I want a shonuff goodun. Like 15 inches or better. I am beginning to think I should lower my standard lol. We made it back to camp and had an amazing meal like always. My buddy is on cloud 9 now! However, he is worried I will get upset I haven’t shot anything yet and I reassure him, I am enjoying seeing his excitement and experiencing this with him just as much as shooting something!

Day 3

On this day we headed to a property that had some really nice Golden Gemsbok on it. Golden Gemsbok was on my list for this year. I think they are absolutely gorgeous animals. My Ph told let me know there was supposedly a really nice roan on this property that had been seen the previous week. While I haven’t had the opportunity to take a roan yet and wasn’t planning on it this trip, if a shonuff goodun presented himself I may shoot him instead of a king’s wildebeest. As soon as we drive through the gate and get on the high back and make a corner, the ph snaps his fingers…. then I see what he is looking at. About 200 yards down the road there are two roans standing there. He tells me, “Buddy, I know you want to shoot a kings, but I am telling you this one roan is a roan you don’t pass up. You have many trips in the future where we can get you a nice kings. I do not think you want to pass this roan.”

The memory of my first trip came back to mind here. On my first trip while hunting kudu, I passed on an absolute hammer of a waterbuck that was taken the week after I left. The waterbuck ended measuring right at 32in. I did not want to have that same regret or feeling again, so off the truck we went.

We slipped into about 80 yards, then like happened a lot during the week, the wind shifted. The Roan was immediately alert. Where he was standing, I didn’t have a shot and he was now looking directly in our direction. He eased off to our left which allowed me to get on the sticks. He then begins a slow trot. Jan-lou yelled and the Roan stopped and kind of quartered to us. Jan-lou asked if I was on him and felt comfortable? I said yep! He said take him if you like. I settled my crosshair at the front of his shoulder and squeezed off the shot. The Roan mule kicked and ran about 15 yards and piled up! I was pumped! We ease up to him and he is slowly taking his final breaths. I give thanks to the good man above for not only allowing for me to be in Africa hunting, but also for allowing me to take such a magnificent animal. After taking some here shots and getting him loaded up, we run to the skinning shed on the property and drop him off.
20240505_072709.jpg
20240505_074747.jpg
20240505_075743.jpg
20240505_081109.jpg
20240505_081247.jpg

We are immediately back on the high back looking for Golden Gemsbok. We spot a group of gemsbok and jump off the high back…. we maneuver into position and there is no Golden with them. We drive around again for a while and spot a big herd of Gemsbok with several Golden. We tried to get into position on this group until near lunch time and come up short every time. Where they were had some really open areas and there were just too many eyes looking for us to get into position on the one mature Golden with them. I could have shot the commons 55 times.

At this point it is getting hot and we are getting hungry. We call for the tracker to come pick us up. Once on the truck and heading out we spot another group of gemsbok with a golden with them. They aren’t but 75 yards from the truck. The PH asks if I want to shoot one off the truck. I told him I do not, not yet anyways. We back up and off the truck we go again. We get within 50 yards of these animals, but I was never presented with a shot. Every time I thought it was fixing to happen something would be in the way so I didn’t have a clear shot or the tiny opening I had, the right Gemsbok wouldn’t walk in it. We ultimately threw in the towel and headed back to camp for lunch.

That afternoon I was ready. We had an idea of where these animals should be and headed straight there. Guess what though? There were nowhere to be found. We proceed to ride the property searching for the herd for quite some time. We even got off to take a little walk and never found them.

With about two hours left of light, we finally spot a herd of gemsbok. Luckily this herd does have a really nice Golden with them. We hope off the truck, stalk within about 175 yards. I get up on the sticks and the Ph says take the shot if you are comfortable. It is a frontal shot and as I am going to steady the crosshairs on the chest, I notice a bush that is blocking my view. I told the PH I have a clear throat shot, but the chest is covered with brush that is way out in front of the Golden. He says to wait…. well, me nor Jan-lou know what happened, but the entire herd decided to take off running. So here we go again. We get back close to them and now they are in some super thick stuff. Theres a common, another common, then the sticks go up. The PH says there it is right there at about 100 yards. Then she starts walking and the sticks come down as we could no longer see her. We maneuver around and get even closer. Then the Ph stops. He eases down and says stay low. We stay super low almost crawling. He says we won’t be able to put the sticks up, but when he eases up to put my rifle on his shoulder. As he is easing up, my rifle goes on his shoulder…it’s another frontal shot. I ease my crosshairs on the center of the chest. I got adrenaline going, the PH has adrenaline going, and my crosshairs are all over the place. I finally whisper and tell him to stop breathing and moving. He holds his breath and I squeeze off a shot. The Golden hits the dirt hard! My second animal is now in the salt! We do some hero shots and load her up. Coat her down with water to ensure there’s no hair slip.
20240505_171541.jpg
20240505_173010.jpg
IMG-20240505-WA0007.jpg

The Ph says with as many Gemsboks as we have seen, with the 45 mins left we may be able to get my buddy his common. On the truck we go.

We drive and drive and finally spot a loan mature gemsbok. My PH says, its gone be tough to stalk in and before he can finish, my buddy says, I’ll shot it right here. So, my buddy rests his rifle on my shoulder and squeezes off a shot. The gemsbok immediately falls! The PH said, what did you do shoot it in the head? My buddy says I don’t think so! We jump off the truck and head to it. He had neck shot her and she is very much still alive, but not going anywhere. My buddy puts another shot in here and now he has his third animal in the salt! Today was an absolutely amazing day. Two really nice animals taken, and tons of memories made.
20240505_180358.jpg
20240505_180457.jpg
IMG-20240505-WA0010.jpg

Day 4

I haven’t mentioned this yet, but every time we have come back to camp, we have seen a very impressive red hartebeest. Ol red wasn’t on my list this year, but I really liked the looks of this guy. I told my ph I would like to hunt him at some point. However, that was not the plan for this morning. This morning, we were going to a property for black impala. I get all hung up on all the different slams, so wanted to take a few more impala on this trip. We get to a property that had caught on fire last year, so it has some huge open areas. Not long after we get into the gate, there are impala running around everywhere. We saw white flank, saddleback, common, and black. We looked over quite a few black impalas before the Ph and I saw one we both though was a really good trophy. We knew the area he was at with all his females, so we continued the search to see what else we could see. Saw quite a few Nyala on this property as well.

We ultimately decided we should go back and try to find the impala we had saw earlier. We get back into the general area we had seen the impala and hop off the truck. We slowly stalk into area and start seeing tons of female. We knew the big ram had to be somewhere close. We slowly just squat down and start watching. Then we can hear him doing his grunting call thing, not sure what it is called, then he appears in all his glory. The sticks go up! He is at a brisk walk behind a female. I am on him in the scope following along as he is walking. Then as I get ready to squeeze, he goes behind brush. Back on him again. Same thing. The next opening the PH yells, no effect at all. Reposition and I am on the sticks again. Find him in the scope he goes behind brush and as soon as he comes out, I squeeze off a shot. DRT.

Jan-lou then says are you sure you shot the right one? Yes of course. He was the only male with these females. He plays along with that for a minute, but I know it’s the right one. Throughout these trips he always gives me crap about something. We ease up to ol boy and he is absolutely stunning. Very nice, old, big ram. I am super happy with this guy. Hero shots, load him up, and head back to camp to figure out what our plan will be.
20240506_080230.jpg
20240506_080243.jpg
20240506_075154.jpg

I mentioned the big waterbuck I passed on my first trip earlier. Waterbuck has been on my mind since then. We decide to go sit a waterhole on a property that has some nice waterbuck on it until around lunch time. One the way to the waterhole we saw several warthog, impala, and gemsbok. Once at the waterhole its not long and tons of impalas come in. Followed by gemsbok. Then waterbuck. However, it was a group of four young males and a single female. We watch all these animals for quite some time. It was nice to kind of relax and just see these animals. A nice change of the run and gun hunting we had been doing. We sit until around 1230-1300 and head back in for lunch.
20240506_095930.jpg
20240506_103557.jpg
20240506_104348.jpg
20240506_110325.jpg
20240506_111037.jpg
20240506_112706.jpg
20240506_113150.jpg
20240506_114005.jpg
20240506_115436.jpg
20240506_115438.jpg

Remember the red hartebeest I mentioned seeing and wanting to hunt? Well, that was the plan for this afternoon. We were going to head out around 1530 and try to get him. He had been seen in the same area every day I had been there so far. We get to the area and drive all around there….he is nowhere to be found. We jump off the truck and walk through the really thick area where he should/could be bedded down. Only thing we see are some Gemsbok. We call for the tracker to bring the truck around to pick us up. We know this ol boy likes this area and has to be somewhere close. We get on the truck and start heading to the other side of the road on a different block than we had been looking in. As soon as we turn the corner, there he is in all his glory looking right at us. We think we bumped him while walking the thick area and he doubled back on us. Jan-lou says, “man its very open where he is, we can try to back up and slip in there…” I don’t even let him finish and I am easing the gun up. He then says, “or you can shoot him off the truck.” I steady the crosshairs on his shoulder, he is slightly quartered to me, and let the 7 PRC eat. Huge mule kick! He runs 20 yards gets all wobbly and I have my next animal in the salt.
20240506_170445.jpg
20240506_171033.jpg
IMG-20240506-WA0010.jpg
IMG-20240506-WA0004.jpg
20240506_170913.jpg

The red hartebeest is an animal that their beauty had to grow on me. I absolutely love the way a red hartebeest looks now. My wife, not so much. She tells me they look like satan lol! We get up to him and he is an absolute hammer. Great mass and great length. I pumped. We take hero shots, and the PH says we need to carry him to the road. I grab his tail, tracker grabs his back legs, PH gets his head, and my buddy grabs his front legs. As we are walking with him, I step in a hole. I hear my ankle crack and its immediate pain. The grass was tall so I could see the hole. I drop the hartebeest and try to walk it off. Unfortunately, that does more harm than good. I almost fall multiple times just from stepping the wrong way.

We get everything loaded and back to camp. I immediately ask for some ice and start icing the foot. Luckily, one of my other buddies in camp was a Corpsman Navy Seal. He took a look at it and said he didn’t think it was broken, but more than likely was an allusion tear (probably spelled that wrong). He said to stay off it as much as possible. I was like dude; I still have bushbuck to hunt. He said you are going to do more harm than good. I knew then that my hunting would be limited as far as the “little walks” went.

20240506_180951.jpg

Day 5

I spent most of the night in pain, but now had a wrap for my ankle, meds, and was ready for the day, at least I though lol. Walking was extremely painful, and I had little to no stability in that foot. The plan for that day was to go hunt a white flank impala. The property was around 45 mins from camp. We head to the property and meet with the owner. This owner must ride with you on the truck while you hunt. We weren’t in the gate good and had already started seeing Impala. We drive in maybe 1/4 -1/2 mile and spot some white flanks. With them is an absolute hammer of a ram. They are in some thick stuff but heading towards a nice open area. The PH jumps of the truck, I hobble of the truck and our slow walk to cut them off begins. We make it to where they are heading, and the sticks go up. Place my gun on the sticks and get ready. A couple females step out, a couple more, and there he is. He is walking steadily away from us and want turn. Jan-lou says, “man, if you shoot him about six inches in front of his back leg it will exit in his opposite shoulder.” I steady the rifle on one of the most beautiful animals I have ever had in my crosshairs and slowly squeeze off a shot. The impala jumped and ran about 30 yards and that was all she wrote. He was done!

The shot was maybe 150-160 yards and where he ran was a nice open area, we could get the truck right up to. He radios the tracker and tells him where the animal is. We slowly make our way to him and see the truck pull up not far from him at all. Upon walking up on this animal, I am taken back by his beauty. He is stunning. The colors, the shape of his horns, and just everything! We do our hero shots and head back to camp.

20240507_081218.jpg
20240507_082214.jpg
IMG-20240507-WA0014.jpg
IMG-20240507-WA0013.jpg
IMG-20240507-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20240507-WA0000.jpg

Once we get back to camp Jan-lou tells the chef we need lunch boxes as we were heading to another property known for big waterbuck. We load up and head to this property. We set up on a waterhole. We see tons of game. Kudu, giraffe, warthog, and impalas. The kudu was a very nice specimen. Beautiful colors and guesstimated to be around 54-56in. I really contemplated shooting him just because his shape was so pretty, but the next time I pull the trigger on a kudu I want one that’s 57+. I will say it was difficult to watch him walk away.

We stayed in the blind until around 1530. After about 1400 thing really slowed down. We hop out and call the tracker to come pick us up. We drove the property looking for waterbuck. We only saw one young male, but once we arrived back to where our blind was, we built, there were three rhino right behind it. One was a big bull with two cows. They were literally 15 yards from the blind. We proceeded to try to drive past them, and the bull takes pursuit after the truck chasing us. I didn’t realize the rhino was so territorial. After the rhino encounter, we continued to drive around until around 1700. It was that time that we went to sit on a big open field the waterbuck like to feed in in the afternoons. We saw a herd of 60+ impala come out, some warthogs, and a nice waterbuck. Unfortunately, he was not mature and not what I was really looking for.

That concluded this day. Even though I was still in pain, I at least had a nice specimen in the salt and had the opportunity to see a lot of animals. I will say, the pain was getting better throughout the day, but I was nowhere near 100%.
20240507_111520.jpg
20240507_114023.jpg
20240507_120829.jpg
20240507_124000.jpg
20240507_125249.jpg
20240507_125620.jpg
20240507_125647.jpg
20240507_131513.jpg
20240507_131624.jpg
20240507_131630.jpg
20240507_132308.jpg
20240507_132411.jpg
20240507_161047.jpg
20240507_161127.jpg
20240507_161447.jpg
20240507_172358.jpg
20240507_174255.jpg
20240507_174333.jpg

Day 6

Today’s plan was to hunt Waterbuck on a property they had not been one taken off of it in six years. This property is extremely thick. Plus, with all the late rains, everything was thicker than usual. We drive around for a bit and see nothing. The PH sees some fresh tracks and he says, “lets take a little walk.” I am thinking ok, here we go. I am doing good to get on and off the truck, but its time to man up as the days are running out. Off we go. We walk for around two hours and only saw a couple young waterbuck bulls. Around 10 we arrive at a waterhole with an old blind there. He says we are going to sit in the blind until lunch. We weren’t there 10 mins, and a really nice wildebeest walks out. The Ph asks my buddy if he wants to shoot a wildebeest. My buddy says, not at this time. So, we continue to watch and wait. We see some more wildebeest and sable.

About 1130 some young waterbuck bulls come out. They are followed about 5 mins later by a cow. The cow and young bulls continue to look behind them. I know in the whitetail woods this is a pretty good indication something else is coming. It wasn’t long and a REALLY nice waterbuck walks out. Him and the cow head straight to the water trough. The PH is looking at him and says he is mature. If you like his shape, take him. This bull had a tall shape but didn’t have that curve that went forward at the tips. He was wide and heavy though. I liked him. I got the gun up on him and was getting ready to squeeze, when suddenly, they all took off running. I was like WTH just happened? They never even looked our way. The PH didn’t have an explanation for what happened either. They all started looking into the thick brush and was just gone. Around 1230 we got out of the blind to go back to camp to eat lunch. The PH went to look in the direction they were looking before they ran and found fresh leopard tracks. Seems like that may have been our culprit.
20240508_085326.jpg
20240508_090733.jpg
20240508_091431.jpg
20240508_113030.jpg

That afternoon I asked if we could go sit the blind again in hopes these guys would show up. Jan-lou said, "yes, but first we are going to try and shoot a big white blesbok thst was saw thos morning."

While white blesbok was necessarily on the list, I'm not going to pass up a big trophy animal. When we get to the property it's hot. It's the middle of the day. Jan-lou knows this property very well and it's not huge, maybe 4500 acres. He knew where the blesbok liked to bed down so that's where we headed. Sure enough they were there, but the big white blesbok we were after wasn't with them. This was a bunch of common blesbok together.

We head to another spot and on the way spot another group of blesbok. Probably around 40-50 animals in this herd. Sure enough, he spots the big white one. He said, "man theres tons of eyes and its going to be very difficult to stalk in, but we can try." I let him know real quick I was ok shooting off the truck. The blesbok was around 200-225 yards away. He finally separated from the group and I got the gun on his shoulder and squeezed off. He jumped up and fell right back to the ground. DRT! Another fine specimen in the salt!
20240508_141743.jpg
20240508_142040.jpg
IMG-20240508-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20240508-WA0002.jpg

We got back in the blind around 1430 and set until around 1630. It was during this time my buddy said, I wanna go shoot a wildebeest. The wind was also horrible for this set and we already had dung burning as a cover scent. Being he had been with me to kill all these other animals I said, “lets leave and go find him a wildebeest.” Plus, I didn't want to be smelled and ruin a chance on a mature waterbuck at the blind.
20240508_155551.jpg
20240508_155554.jpg
20240508_155806.jpg
20240508_162630.jpg
20240508_162720.jpg

We call Philimon, our tracker, to come pick us up. We get on the truck and drive around for a bit. We spot some wildebeest, but nothing mature. The PH has an idea for right at dark. We jump off the truck to head to an area the wildebeest always come right at dark to fight. Sure enough there’s a bull there, but he’s young. We ease down further south and hear some bulls calling, but never see them before dark.

Even though I didn’t get a waterbuck and my buddy didn’t get a wildebeest, I shot a toad of white blesbok. We had a great day! One animal in the salt and saw some really nice animals and the fire was lit for me to take a waterbuck even more.

Attachments

• 20240508_155808.jpg
    20240508_155808.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 44
Day 7

Yesterday evening the PH talked to one of the workers who build roads on the property we had been hunting the day before and said he sees waterbucks at the waterhole we were sitting on pretty regularly. The Ph said, “he thinks we had a good shot of seeing one if we went and sat there all day.” While sitting and waiting all day didn’t seem super fun, I trust my PH’s thoughts/plans, and my foot was still not great.

We head to the property early and initially drive around looking for a wildebeest for my buddy. The plan was to get in the blind around 0900-0930 and sit the rest of the day. It wasn’t long and we had spotted some wildebeest. My buddy and the Jan-lou jump off the truck to try to make a move on the wildebeest. It was long and I hear a shot, but no thump. The tracker gets the call on the radio and we head up there to where they were. Being optimistic, I am hoping my buddy had actually made a good shot on his wildebeest. His gun isn’t suppressed, so I am thinking maybe I just didn’t hear it. Unfortunately, upon arrival, it’s confirmed they think it was a miss. The tracker gets off the truck and it isn’t long, and it is confirmed by him as well it was a miss.
20240509_080518.jpg

We leave there and arrive at the blind around 0945. We get our lunchboxes, shooting sticks, cooler and guns out. We are prepared for a long sit. This morning things are slow. No movement until around 1130 when a couple sable ease out. We watch them for a little while. They are followed by the same group of young waterbuck bulls from the day before. I am thinking ok, here we go, big boy is coming. It didn’t happen. Its now about 1230 and we are all hungry. We eat some delicious pies for lunch. After lunch everyone is sleepy. We are all exhausted. Everything gets quiet, I don’t hear any fingers moving on a phone, no rustling of getting a drink or eating…. it’s at this point I realize my buddy and PH are resting their eyes. I try to do the same but can’t get the thought of the waterbuck out of my mind. At 1327, I know this because I just looked at my phone, I look up and two waterbucks are stepping out the brush. I quietly say, waterbuck….waterbuck, then tap Jan-lou’s leg. He is like WTH man? What? I reply, “waterbuck.” He doesn’t hesitate and says get your gun. In all this commotion, one of the waterbucks had zoned in on us. I was unable to get my gun up on the sticks. Finally, he calms down and puts his head down. I ease the gun up on the sticks and I am ready. Jan-lou says, “the one at the waterhole is mature, you can take him if you like him.” I really liked the shape of this waterbuck. I knew he wasn’t as big as the one I passed several years ago, but this was a really nice one. I line up the crosshairs, but his entire shoulder is covered by a bush that is a pretty good ways out in front of him. I don’t want to chance it. I know his is slightly quartered away and if I can tuck it right in the crease of his shoulder it will come out in the backside of his other shoulder still catching lungs. I take one more deep breath and squeeze! The waterbuck jumps sky high and takes off. The hit sounded solid and the PH said man great shot. I told him the dilemma with the shoulder and he says man….you gut shot him. I told him I didn’t gut shot him.

We get to where the waterbuck was standing and there’s no blood. Not a drop. My heart sinks. I replay everything over in my mind. There’s now way I missed….I heard it hit him….there’s no way I pulled my shot.

Jan-lou tells me again, “man…. I think you made a bad shot.” The tracker gets on his tracks, and we find a speck of blood. Him and Jan-lou take off on the tracks. I am hobbling along trying to keep up. Then I see a good amount of blood on the ground. Then look on a bush he ran through, and it was like you painted it. Not 50 yards from where he was shot, there laid my waterbuck and Jan-lou laughing at me! He had gotten me again. Last year he told me my shot was crap on a zebra and didn’t the same thing. You would think by now I would have learned.

I was through the roof ecstatic. I even jumped and did a hell yeah! That was a big mistake! Not to mention, the location this joker ran, we couldn’t get a truck close. We spent the next 30-45mins making a trail to get the truck close enough. Took our hero shots and rushed to get this big boy to the skinning shed before hair slip set in.
20240509_093608.jpg
20240509_103603.jpg
20240509_114803.jpg
20240509_115041.jpg

IMG-20240509-WA0046.jpg
IMG-20240509-WA0038.jpg
IMG-20240509-WA0034.jpg
IMG-20240509-WA0031.jpg
IMG-20240509-WA0050.jpg
IMG-20240509-WA0048.jpg

My killing for this trip was over…. unless we just happened upon a giant Kudu, but my buddy still wanted a wildebeest. After dropping my waterbuck off at the skinning shed, we headed back out around 1500 to try and find my buddy a wildebeest. He was still down about his miss that morning. I told him man it happens. He understood, but I do know what it’s like to miss and it does suck.

We drove around all afternoon until about 45mins to and hour before dark. Then we went back to the same area we had been the evening before to hope the bulls would come out to fight. We saw kudu, zebra, and golden wildebeest, but no blues. Right at dark, a cull warthog came out and Jan-lou asked David if he wanted to shoot him. He said heck yeah, so they stalked to within 10 yards of this joker and David made a great ear shot on him. We did hero shots, and my buddy had another animal in salt!
20240509_180042.jpg
20240509_181400(0).jpg

Day 8

We had around half a day before we would leave for the airport. Everyone else at camp was sleeping in, but David wanted his wildebeest. We got up early and headed out in search of one. We hadn’t been on the property 15 mins when bam…. there a group was. David and Jan-lou hopped off the truck. Maybe 10-15 minutes went by, and we heard the shot ring out. This time with a thump. We get the call on the radio to come there. By the time we made it there they had already found David’s Wildebeest. He was pumped and had made a great shot! We took the hero pics and his final animal was in the salt.
20240510_072329.jpg
20240510_072707.jpg
20240510_072733.jpg

After getting back to camp we settled-up our balances on everything and our safari, apart from the ride back to the airport, and one more amazing meal was over. This trip was nothing short of amazing. All the animals taken were great trophies, the camp was great, and lasting memories were created.

I can’t wait to get back over to Africa. I doubt I make a trip next year, but I will be going back in 2026 to chase Buffalo and a few other animals. Hunting in Africa is truly amazing. Nothing I have yet to hunt even compares to come close. Even with a crippled foot, it was fun. That ankle is still giving me problems over two weeks later. My wife is constantly yelling at me to go to the doc, but it will be fine.

A big thanks again to Limcroma Safaris on another successful safari and for assisting in the creation of memories that will last forever. I can’t wait to be back over there with my family away from home! Limcroma truly is like going to visit another family. On my first trip, I arrived a friend and left feeling like I was family.

Until next time…I wish everyone great success in the field and look forward to see all your hero shots and reading your reports!

I must say, I did hate shooting a few animals from the truck. I enjoy the stalking aspect od these hunts very much, but everything happens for a reason I guess. If it weren't for the good man above giving me some of those opportunities, after the injury, the trip may not have be quite as successful. Like the old saying goes, one in the hand is better than two in the bush!

20240510_103938.jpg
20240510_104017.jpg
20240510_104027.jpg
20240510_104122.jpg

That waterbuck is a toad, congratulation on a great safary!

What’s in the water, I can’t tell on my phone.

1716501751222.jpeg

Another trip to Limcroma Safaris in the books. A couple buddies and I flew out on 1 May with an arrival in Joburg on 2 May. We spent the first night at Africa Sky, it was amazing as always, and left the following morning to head to Thabazimbi to meet our PHs and head the rest of the way to camp. The ride was nice and relaxing as usual. Especially when you have first time African hunters in the truck, and they are pointing out every animal within sight! It is nice to see the excitement they are experiencing.

For this trip I purchased a Bergara Crest 7mm PRC. I brought my custom 300 win mag last year and wanted something with a shorter barrel, especially when running a suppressor. That was at least my justification to the wife on why I needed another gun. I shot handloaded 150gr TTSX bullets out of the 7 PRC. I was absolutely astonished at how amazing this gun performed. I took seven animals on this trip and none of the animals went more than 40 yards, and most were DRT. The amount of internal damage was also catastrophic.

Before I get into the hunting, I want to just say how awesome Limcroma Safaris truly is. I started hunting there three years ago. From the first hunt to the last, they have made me feel like family. Their facilities are top notch…better than or just as nice as any five start resort I have ever stayed in. The food is second to none. I travel a lot with work and when getting paid per diem I have the opportunity to try some really nice restaurants and will pick the food prepared by the chef at Limcroma over any of them! The staff is very courteous, polite, and professional. Everyone there is always so nice! My PH…Jan-Lou….is amazing. He is not only my PH, but a great friend. He and I have a great time hunting together. We laugh, joke, talk crap, and it makes the time go by that much quicker.

Hannes Els, the owner of Limcroma, has built an empire. He has developed one of the most amazing hunting outfits in all of Africa. I have had other buddies hunt elsewhere and when I hear their stories of the hunt, how the operation is ran, no management practices in place, etc.….I am always very glad I hunt with Limcroma. I will never hunt with another outfitter. Why would I when Limcroma has been so amazing and good to me? Not to mention, they have concessions all over Africa for differing animal species I eventually want to take and manage all their properties meticulously for trophy animals! Thank you Limcroma for all you do and running and outfit the way it should be run.

View attachment 607688View attachment 607689

Day 1

Upon arrival at the camp, around 1200 on 3 May, we had a quick bite to eat, unpacked, and headed to the range to check the rifles. This is the first trip I have hunted with someone. My two previous trips it was just me and my PH. I was a little worried I would not enjoy hunting with someone else, but I must say it was nice. It was like getting to do two hunts in one. Both my rifle and my buddy David’s rifle were right were we left them before heading over.

That afternoon we were going to go hunt a property to try and get David a Blesbok, Gemsbok, or both. Once we arrived at this property, about a 25min drive from camp, we hoped on the high rack to begin looking. It was still really hot, and the animal movement was minimal. Plus, this property, in most areas was super thick. After riding around a bit to see if we could spot something, the PH said, “hey let’s take a little walk.” From my previous trips, I knew exactly what that meant lol! A little walk has always meant walking for quite a distance. For this afternoon hunt, that wasn’t the case.

We had walked maybe 300 yards when Jan-Lou spotted a herd of Blesbok. The wind was wrong for us to approach them on the same path, so we attempted to loop around. However, not far into our loop we got busted by a herd of gemsbok we hadn’t seen. They inadvertently ran straight towards the Blesbok and they were all off for the races.

Jan-lou said, “I have a really good idea where they are headed.” So we follow him through the thicket nastiest brush on the property I think. As we come to an open lane, low an behold, there is an old ancient Blesbok out there feeding all by himself at about 300 yards. We dip back into the thick brush to get a bit closer as my buddy has never really shot over 150-200 yards. We pop back out on the edge of the lane and are now about 130 yards away. However, the blesbok is now facing us and now way to get up on the sticks. He eventually turns and we ease out into the lane and throw the sticks up. The blesbok is still trucking directly away from us. Jan-Lou yells and the Blesbok stops and turns broadside. My buddy hammers him. The animal did a legit backflip and was DRT. The excitement and pure joy in my buddy’s eyes is an image I will never forget. We walk up to the very dead Blesbok and he is an ancient boy. PH said he wouldn’t have made it through the winter. We get some pics and throw the Blesbok in the bed of the truck and pour some water on him to ensure there’s no hair slip and we begin searching for a gemsbok.

By now it has cooled off quite a bit and we have around an hour left of shooting light. We see zebra, giraffe, a couple warthog sows, and finally a group of Gemsbok. However, they are in a very open area and no way to get close to them. My buddy doesn’t want to shoot from the truck, so we proceed on. With about 15-20 minutes left of good shooting light, we spot some Gemsbok and they are heading to one of the big, long open lanes on the property. We jump off the truck and head to the lane to try and intercept them. This plan almost worked lol! They did come of the lane but were literally on top of us where they popped out and we were pointed down the lane, in the middle of the lane waiting. They were literally 10 yards from us. The area they were coming from was so thick we couldn’t’ see them until they go to the edge. Unfortunately, we were unable to get a shot off, but the excitement and adrenaline was sky high from them getting so close and my buddy taking his first African animal.
View attachment 607690View attachment 607691View attachment 607692View attachment 607693View attachment 607694View attachment 607696
Fantastic!!! So happy for you and your friend!!! Keep it coming!!!

One of the better hunt reports I’ve read. Thanks for sharing.

Great recording of your hunt and some beautiful trophies and awesome memories.
Limcroma is a top-shelf operation.

Great report. I’ve been talking to Limcroma about a hunt next year late May. Couple questions of you don’t mind: Which lodge did you stay in? How’s the weather in early May? Was hoping it would start to cool off a bit by late May. Were kudu rutting at all? How large were the majority of the properties and how many different ones did you hunt?

Great report. I’ve been talking to Limcroma about a hunt next year late May. Couple questions of you don’t mind: Which lodge did you stay in? How’s the weather in early May? Was hoping it would start to cool off a bit by late May. Were kudu rutting at all? How large were the majority of the properties and how many different ones did you hunt?
I stayed in Sable Valley lodge. Weather was low to mid 80s for highs and low 50s for lows. Kudu on some properties were rutting already and other properties we still saw bulls by themselves and cows still grouped up. The properties range in size a lot. The smallest property we hunted was probably 3500 acres and the largest I personally hunted on this trip 15-20k acres. I hunted 7 different properties this trip I believe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agirlwithagun

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!

here with available dates for 2024/25