Lightweight short action deer rifle

Lee you made your choice but what came to mind when I read your original post was a Winchester 94BB in 307 or 356 (rimmed 308's and 358's) long out of production but not hard to track one down (the 356 is my short fairly light PA choice for just the reasons you cited).

These never got the attention I thought they deserved. Or if you have to have new how about a CZ527 in 7.62x39 or 6.5 Grendel? Might be a handy small bolt action if less thump.

The shift from when the 307 and 356 were introduced means anything new today will sell. In those days anything too close to calibers already in use was a hard sell. The 8mm Rem Mag only lasted a few years after it hit the market. Too close to 30 caliber that already had 100 to 220 grain bullets available. 8mm was limited bullet wise and didn't kill any better then existing cartridges.
The 400 Whelan, at least in the initial offering, was thought to have too slight of a shoulder for safe headspacing so wasn't thought of too well. If the 300 Blackout was offered back then it would have suffered the same demise.
I give up counting all the AR cartridges offered and selling today. Why they all sell is beyond me but if I was an ammo mfg I would make what sells whether I liked then or not.

I hunt in PNW thick county, carrying full size rifle especially brush busting blackberries not fun at all. Either lightweight rifles in full power calibers. I ended up with Howa 1500 6.5 grendel.
326D81FE-EC97-4FC9-BA40-A89841627C6C.jpeg

Lee you made your choice but what came to mind when I read your original post was a Winchester 94BB in 307 or 356 (rimmed 308's and 358's) long out of production but not hard to track one down (the 356 is my short fairly light PA choice for just the reasons you cited).

These never got the attention I thought they deserved. Or if you have to have new how about a CZ527 in 7.62x39 or 6.5 Grendel? Might be a handy small bolt action if less thump.
Since comrade bidet outlawed the import of Russian ammo is say the 7.62x39 is a bad bet now. I'd go more toward the 300 BLK now. It's reloadable and you can make the brass from spent 5.56x45. If we're sticking to micro actions that Ruger American looks interesting or maybe savage will do a straight pull in 300 BLK next year?

I hunt in PNW thick county, carrying full size rifle especially brush busting blackberries not fun at all. Either lightweight rifles in full power calibers. I ended up with Howa 1500 6.5 grendel.
View attachment 420356
IS that a mini action Howa with new bottom metal? or a standard 1500, the plastic magazine & trigger guard on the mini leaves a lot to be desired.

IS that a mini action Howa with new bottom metal? or a standard 1500, the plastic magazine & trigger guard on the mini leaves a lot to be desired.
Custom from Oregunsmithing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 12.00.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 12.00.56 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 94
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 12.00.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 12.00.57 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 94
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 12.01.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 12.01.00 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 104
My shooting buddy lives for SBS's and we've found they are no limit at 1000 yards on steel. The velocity loss exists but is not the factor we thought it would be.
Personally, I like long barrels on most of my rifles and pistols. My 300 WM replacement bbl is 28 inches. My S&W M29 is 8-3/8. My Sabatti 500 NE has 24 inch barrels but the action type makes the overall shorter then a bolt action would be. That is the only rifle I would not want to be longer. I do see the reasoning behind short longarms in tight brush.

Since comrade bidet outlawed the import of Russian ammo is say the 7.62x39 is a bad bet now. I'd go more toward the 300 BLK now. It's reloadable and you can make the brass from spent 5.56x45. If we're sticking to micro actions that Ruger American looks interesting or maybe savage will do a straight pull in 300 BLK next year?
Dont believe the 300 Blackout is the as good as the 7.62x39 it is 200 fpc behind with 123 -130 grain hunting bullets PPU, S&B Starline & Lupua make brass & ammo & none of it comes out of Russia & you would not want to shoot Russian steel case ammo out of a bolt gun anyway. the 300 BL was developed to replace 9mm in submachine guns with heavy subsonic bullets it does a good job at that.

Dont believe the 300 Blackout is the as good as the 7.62x39 it is 200 fpc behind with 123 -130 grain hunting bullets PPU, S&B Starline & Lupua make brass & ammo & none of it comes out of Russia & you would not want to shoot Russian steel case ammo out of a bolt gun anyway. the 300 BL was developed to replace 9mm in submachine guns with heavy subsonic bullets it does a good job at that.
If I can't use the cheap steel case ammo to practice with, I am losing utility. I have seen reviews where it is mentioned that the chamber tolerance for that caliber is made for steel cased ammo at least with CZ and you may experience difficulties with brass cased ammunition.

DoubleTap is quoting them both around 2400 fps with 123-125 grain ammunition. I'm just not seeing the benefit.

Howa in 6.5 Grendel. Mini action is short, light and with 129 grn projectiles more than enough for your game.

I see recommendations for lightweight gun from 5lb to 8lb behemoths.
OP what are you considering as lightweight?
Under 5lb
Under 6lb
Under 7lb
Or behemoths like any Ruger rifles

A Ruger American ranch rifle in 7.62x39 16.5 inch barrel it leaves a 44 mag for dead they
are , accurate, cheap low recoil, low muzzle blast & cheap to run have a look at one !
I took this 205# dressed, buck with that very same rifle/cartridge combo last season.

I was hunting in thick brush, and also was using a small blind. The small rifle was very handy and the little X39 Soviet round did it's job.

IMG_1707.JPG

I use a CZ-527 Carbine in x39 quite often when not wanting to carry a heavier rifle:
yDolWutl.jpg

I shoot this 165 grain bullet in it:
NnO8C1Cl.jpg

It shoots like this:
DsVRY5ll.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I see recommendations for lightweight gun from 5lb to 8lb behemoths.
OP what are you considering as lightweight?
Under 5lb
Under 6lb
Under 7lb
Or behemoths like any Ruger rifles
I would like to point out that balance and good handling are more important than weight alone. While a Ruger #1A may not be extremely light it feels light and has superb handling qualities. Nothing I own points as well.

I took this 205# dressed, buck with that very same rifle/cartridge combo last season.

I was hunting in thick brush, and also was using a small blind. The small rifle was very handy and the little X39 Soviet round did it's job.

View attachment 420528
Wow. Was it a DRT kind of thing or did you have a track? How far was the shot?
I use a CZ-527 Carbine in x39 quite often when not wanting to carry a heavier rifle:
View attachment 420584

I shoot this 165 grain bullet in it:
View attachment 420583

It shoots like this:
View attachment 420582

Neat! I like the CZ carbines. Cast bullets are always fun. Is that at 100 yards, 50 or 25? You did not specify.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg