Lightweight leather glove help

john corry

Reaction score
Hi, I’m trying to source a really good quality pair of gloves that are suitable for a dry/hot environment (Mozambique, November)
The purpose is to try and preserve the original finish on my old Purdey double. After a few hunts I can see the salt from perspiration will soon start to wear the blacking on the barrels. I don’t want to use a sling and because this rifle is particularly special, due to the original condition, I would like to keep it that way for as long as possible. Any help much appreciated. Thanks

Hi, I’m trying to source a really good quality pair of gloves that are suitable for a dry/hot environment (Mozambique, November)
The purpose is to try and preserve the original finish on my old Purdey double. After a few hunts I can see the salt from perspiration will soon start to wear the blacking on the barrels. I don’t want to use a sling and because this rifle is particularly special, due to the original condition, I would like to keep it that way for as long as possible. Any help much appreciated. Thanks

I believe I saw a pair of leather gloves for warmer environments on Westley Richards site. I’d imagine they would be really good quality.

I'd go with checking on mechanics gloves. The last pair of lightweight leather gloves that I owned lasted almost half a day before I had snagged them on thorns or sticks and had torn holes in them.

For hunting in Arizona in February I have resorted to wearing mechanic gloves that I find at Lowe's or the local parts house.

Try Cabelas shooting gloves. I wear them for skeet trap and sporting clays to preserve the finish on my shotgun. It is not a Purdy but I like it.

You might want to check out Outdoor Research Tactical series gloves. I have been using them and they hold up great.

OR tactical gloves

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-04 at 7.44.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-04 at 7.44.23 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-04 at 7.44.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-04 at 7.44.25 AM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 71
Orvis has some very nice upland gloves.

I never used or bought them, but I already asked myself the same question as you and fell over this ones...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 7.22.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 7.22.47 AM.png
    995.7 KB · Views: 42
If you're concerned about your bluing/blacking I Hate to say it but gloves will wear your bluing/blacking faster than a bare hand .... A glove is made of leather, leather has pores, sweat and dirt collect in the pores making for a delightful rouge that will wear away your bluing/blacking quicker than a sweaty palm.. Doubles can easily be re-blackened or wear marks are memory marks ... Just re- blackened the barrels and re-blued the furniture on two doubles a Purdy shot gun and a Gibbs Double rifle

If you're concerned about your bluing/blacking I Hate to say it but gloves will wear your bluing/blacking faster than a bare hand .... A glove is made of leather, leather has pores, sweat and dirt collect in the pores making for a delightful rouge that will wear away your bluing/blacking quicker than a sweaty palm.. Doubles can easily be re-blackened or wear marks are memory marks ... Just re- blackened the barrels and re-blued the furniture on two doubles a Purdy shot gun and a Gibbs Double rifle
That’s great info - thanks! I totally agree re memory marks and overall character. Most of my doubles get properly used and I love the wear and tear they get. This particular double is the only exception as a - it was eye watering expensive
b - the rifle is in extraordinary original condition from 1929 and has all the original finish still intact.
c - In my opinion, there’s only one place, in the UK, that does the correct blacking (nice plummy finish) but it still won’t be the same as the original blacking that has a deep brown hue to it.

So basically, I just want to preserve the blacking on the barrels and furniture for as long as poss and still be able to hunt with it :)

Maybe a sling is the only option, but I hate them on doubles.

Cheers

My wife and I have been using Outdoor Research Suppressor Gloves with good success in hot weather. Good protection while still being cool in the heat.
1685897712736.png

That’s great info - thanks! I totally agree re memory marks and overall character. Most of my doubles get properly used and I love the wear and tear they get. This particular double is the only exception as a - it was eye watering expensive
b - the rifle is in extraordinary original condition from 1929 and has all the original finish still intact.
c - In my opinion, there’s only one place, in the UK, that does the correct blacking (nice plummy finish) but it still won’t be the same as the original blacking that has a deep brown hue to it.

So basically, I just want to preserve the blacking on the barrels and furniture for as long as poss and still be able to hunt with it :)

Maybe a sling is the only option, but I hate them on doubles.

Cheers
No matter what you use other than clean white cotton gloves you are going to get wear on the rifle. Just placing it in a rifle case, be it a travel case or a case for the truck you will get wear on it.

I consider rub marks a sign of true use and not just a safe queen.

I have a nicer Ruger Red Label 20 ga that I treated like a queen, but I have no idea of how a scratch got into the stock. Others have commented on the scratch telling me how proud that they are that I have used the shotgun on hunts and didn't just take it out of the safe to admire it.

Taking high condition vintage guns hunting has some risk. Hopefully, it's a great memory! If it gets a little wear and character along the way, that's what they were made for.

The Orvis Upland shooting gloves are about the finest I've used, though I always carry a pair of the Mechanic Fast Fit gloves for rough work.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 7.23.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 7.23.09 AM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 7.23.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 7.23.10 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 35
I use shotgun gloves, as my hands tend to get sweaty in high temps

We get them for around 12 € in Europe

guantes-ball-trap-solognac-mitones-marron.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg