Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Member of
1977; Polish Hunting Assotiation
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe
My favourite rifle is my 9.3x74 Chapuis RGEX, fits me perfect and is a joy to shoot. My eland and sable fell to my 9.3 double. If it is what I had in my hand on a plains game safari and africa provided a target of opportunity buffalo I wouldn't hesitate to use it. Would also use it on the cats. It is at the very bottom end of the DG spectrum (Mine load that gives the best 4 shot soft/solid combo is a 300gr A-frame and 286gr Swift break away solid at 2385fps)
The most important thing with the light end of the DG rifles is the shot placement. THAT FIRST SHOT HAS TO BE in the vitals. or your day and the PH/Trackers is about to be ugly.

If you are going to hunt DG with the light double (9.3 and 375) you must be a very competent rifleman/riflewoman that is very calm under pressure and also have your PH's concurrence on your rifle choice so they the PH is prepared in case you screw up the first shot.

If it was a Buffalo or bigger specfic DG hunt I would bring a bigger double 450/400 or bigger.
I agree with you AZDAVE.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
glad i am not the photographer.
the guy must be an innocent.
bruce.
Care to elaborate? The photographer was my son. He took his bull from the same herd.

Red Leg

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
those muzzles are pointing horribly close.
bruce.
The PH is behind me. I cleared my double and he cleared his chamber before we entered the slough. I do not carry a rifle in that manner unless wading (note the sling). Any other observations?

lwaters

Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
Looks like a good place for a bunch of leaches or a crocodile.

Red Leg

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
Hunted

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score
The PH is behind me. I cleared my double and he cleared his chamber before we entered the slough. I do not carry a rifle in that manner unless wading (note the sling). Any other observations?
well done.
nice hat.
bruce.

318AE

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
It looks like the Zambezi delta in Mozambique to me, perhaps coutada 10? I recall it varying from almost sure footing, to a chest high mire, in about one and a half paces. Smart to keep your rifle and ammo belt high. It was a tough hunt and a great adventure, often not being able to see much past the end of your barrel due to papyrus, and spoting herds by looking for the oxpeckers and egrets.

I was there about twenty years ago, when I was thirty, give or take, with my Dad. It’s a challenging hunt at any age, and no easier the older one gets. My Dad has since passed, but some of my fondest memories are hunting with him in Mozambique. Going hunting with your son in Mozambique? Well done indeed! I hope your son recalls your adventure as fondly as I do mine.

The only thing I’d do differently if I had it to do over? I’d bring a light double! Although the 416 worked pretty well... I can’t even remember all the ways I carried it to keep it dry.

Red Leg

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
Hunted
Coutada 14 in this case, but exactly the same terrain. An acre or two of golf fairway followed by 50 - 100 meters of swamp and then the next fairway. Spot the birds working the herd at first light from a tree overlooking the vast marsh, take a bearing, and head out. For me, it is the most challenging and demanding buffalo hunt in Africa.

Hunting Buffalo in the Zambezi Delta
Coutada 14 Buffalo

Zambezi Delta
Carrying out meat and trophies - Coutada 14
Zambezi Delta march to the birds

Tired but happy
Buffalo

AZDAVE

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
a swamp hunt in Mozambique is on my bucket list:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcelaDoa

Latest profile posts

Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J
Good morning friends

i‘ve taken to heart a suggestion to tell my story about a lion hunt 37 years ago. ‘I don’t know, but am thinking there are site rules as to posting and file type. Three of the four posts (chapters?) are done, I took time away from here to write up the story. I have a couple of photos too.

also, I’m going to dissemble the rifles and see if Butch may have signed them. I’ll let you know.