Life Insurance Options when hunting Africa

Jim K

AH member
Reaction score
Media
So as the title states does anyone have any thoughts or tips on how to get a policy covering accidental death while hunting in Africa.

I am a relatively young man (41)with younger kids and a small business owner that is very much involved in day to day operations. I have a trip planned to Namibia in 2020 for plains game with my oldest son who will be almost 11 at the time. My wife is ok with the trip as long as she is covered should something happen to me. We will be using Global Rescue for a medical plan and I am aware of some other options they have that cover just the travel portion.

What are other younger types doing about this type of coverage.

What about DG type hunts. I went to DSC a few weeks ago and met Buzz and Myles from CM safaris. I really hit it off well with them and would like to book a Buffalo -Leopard hunt with them in the future. Wife put her foot down and is saying no right now because of this issue.

I am very much just middle to upper end blue collar for income but well enough off I can afford a few trips before the kids are out of the house

Jim

How is your current health? At 41 with a young child, wife and a business you should have life insurance in place regardless of whether you are in Africa or not. A 10 year level term policy, convertible into permanent insurance (should that be needed) would likely be an inexpensive option at your age. Another bonus is that you will be locking in your insurability today at your current health - and that would take the protection for your family out until your son is 20 or 21. Go for a 20-year policy and your son is through med school. I’m a CFP and I’d be happy to offer you some advice. PM me if you’d like.

Flat8

Non smoker. No health issue at all that I know of.

I am a CFII (flight instructor) as well on the side and that makes coverage a little more difficult for me

My concern is it seems most policies don’t cover travel outside of the US or Canada. Or have exclusions on travel to country’s that have state department warnings on them which can included some hunting spots in Africa

Sent you a PM

You see there are all kinds of folks on AH willing to help others.

Good point about dangerous game hunting and if your life insurance would not be in effect. Is it common for life/health insurance companies to have exclusions for hunting?

So as the title states does anyone have any thoughts or tips on how to get a policy covering accidental death while hunting in Africa.

I am a relatively young man (41)with younger kids and a small business owner that is very much involved in day to day operations. I have a trip planned to Namibia in 2020 for plains game with my oldest son who will be almost 11 at the time. My wife is ok with the trip as long as she is covered should something happen to me. We will be using Global Rescue for a medical plan and I am aware of some other options they have that cover just the travel portion.

What are other younger types doing about this type of coverage.

What about DG type hunts. I went to DSC a few weeks ago and met Buzz and Myles from CM safaris. I really hit it off well with them and would like to book a Buffalo -Leopard hunt with them in the future. Wife put her foot down and is saying no right now because of this issue.

I am very much just middle to upper end blue collar for income but well enough off I can afford a few trips before the kids are out of the house

Jim
I have $500,000 term that I pay $250 a year for. If it pays great, if not I won’t be here to worry about it!
Get a term life policy and go hunt.
Philip

Good point about dangerous game hunting and if your life insurance would not be in effect. Is it common for life/health insurance companies to have exclusions for hunting?

It is common for exclusions for dangerous activities such as scuba diving after a certain depth. I would read the fine print very carefully. Big difference hunting deer / plains game and getting mauled accidentally by a bear or buffalo. I would not go hunting buffalo without an insurance rider saying dangerous activities are covered because I don't think they would pay out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roll_the_Knob!

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.