Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
England, USA: NY, PA, NC, SC, GA, AL, FL, TX, AZ, MT, WY, AK
My father is at a point in his life where he’s thinking of “the end”. He’s decided he wants to buy myself and my wife a set of matching lever actions we can hunt with. Wants to engrave them as well but I can handle that locally.

the issue/question is, finding a new lever action in 308 or something useful for deer and antelope as general hunting rifles. Found the Henry long ranger in 308 but can’t find them anywhere and Henry’s response was demand is out pacing their production and they can’t tell me when/where I can find one. Do that opens up any other levers out there. Marlin 1894 seems decent but not in my “typical” deer rounds.

looking for suggestions of lever guns under $1000 each in a cartridge good for deer. Also need them to be actually in stock somewhere.

thanks for any help,
Dale

Full disclosure: I don't have this caliber. But everything I have ever read about the .308 Marlin Express has been exceedingly positive, up to elk and out to 300 and more. They show up with some regularity on GB.

I have a .338 Marlin, and it is all that and a bag of chips. However, the are less common and a lot more expensive.

If you are looking for new, Henry might be it; I have never owned a Henry. If you are OK with used, I'll bet you could find a couple of nice condition 99s in .308.

Best of luck sir.

If you are only wanting use them for thin-skinned game such a whitetail I would recommend a 35 Remington on Marlin 336. It has advantages over the 30-30, one of my favorite being a larger diameter bullet!

If you wish to do more outside of that a, Marlin 1895 in 45-70 would and is my favorite choice. So much so, I had it lengthened to 45-90 to add a bit more range to the vulnerable 45-70, let alone power.

Also, the 1894 is nothing to scoff at, my favorite is the 357 magnum lengthened to 1.86" OAL loaded with 180 gr speer hotcor (great for the 35 remington as well!) and this is going around 1900 fps out of an 16 1/4" barrel!

Most of these rifles can be found on gunbroker for a reasonable price and normally under 1K. Personally, nothing beats a well tuned and slick lever gun in my book! I hope this help and it's very kind of him to do this for you and your wife.

A Savage 99 makes a good platform for engraving, the receiver sides giving plenty of room. They are chambered in some very useful calibers, including 308, for under $1000. Good luck with your search.......FWB
IMG-2681 (2).jpg

I am a huge fan of the Browning BLR. They are easily found in .308 as well. However up here in Canada they are over $1000. Not sure of the price in the US. I bought mine used in 1995 for $650 and considering how much I love that rifle, it was a steal. As @flatwater bill demonstrated with his 99, the BLR also has a good area for engraving.

Browning BLR are still available in 308. Check it out. They are even available in take down. you may have to spend a little bit more out of your pocket over the 1000 dollar limit. Cant go wrong with them.
Krish

I’ve looked at the browning just was little sticker shocked. May have to go that route though.

have a savage 99 in 300savage in the safe. Fun gun. I actually didn’t think about grabbing one in 308.

thoughts on 44mag or 357 for deer and antelope?

thoughts on 44mag or 357 for deer and antelope?
Might come up a bit short on longer shots, especially for antelope. BLR is a great choice. Consider one in 270 for more range and very effective on antelope and any deer.

My father is at a point in his life where he’s thinking of “the end”. He’s decided he wants to buy myself and my wife a set of matching lever actions we can hunt with. Wants to engrave them as well but I can handle that locally.

the issue/question is, finding a new lever action in 308 or something useful for deer and antelope as general hunting rifles. Found the Henry long ranger in 308 but can’t find them anywhere and Henry’s response was demand is out pacing their production and they can’t tell me when/where I can find one. Do that opens up any other levers out there. Marlin 1894 seems decent but not in my “typical” deer rounds.

looking for suggestions of lever guns under $1000 each in a cartridge good for deer. Also need them to be actually in stock somewhere.

thanks for any help,
Dale
The Henry’s are on GB in spades

The Henry’s are on GB in spades
Another option on Henry Long Ranger could be in a 6.5 Creedmoor. Same parent case as a 308, better long range performance, very effective on antelope, great all around deer cartridge, no noticeable recoil, inherent accuracy, lots of ammo available in many iterations.

And you can joke around that you have a manbunn cartridge;)

Many good suggestions made above, so I will try not to repeat.
.308 is hard to beat. I have taken deer out to 400 yards with mine, elk out to 200 yards, Pronghorn at 230 yards, hogs and many other game at shorter ranges. Black bear are also on the .308 menu.
Get both rifles in .308 -keep it simple.
The .308 is also effective on African plains game and with Nosler Partitions, on Leopard.

Pick the .308 rifle that you like from the above suggestions and have fun! It should last a lifetime.
Good hunting.

No contest for me. If custom engraving is intended, then a Savage 99 G or EG in .300 Savage (rotary magazine) would be my first choice. A distant second would be a more modern (not better) magazine fed 99 in .308. However, I would insure it was one of the walnut stocked, earlier run magazine rifles.

348 winchester mad by browning is not a bad idea. But does it have a range it for prong horns.
I don't know. May be remembered to Akele improved.
Krish.

My dad hunted his entire life with a Savage 99 in 308. My brother has it now.
If you look around and are patient you can find them in excellent condition and they are going for sub $1000 dollars.
That is the route I would recommend going.
Same with my Dad. But if my brother gets it, I’ll blow a nut…I’ve had dibs on that rifle for 40 years!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross