Leupold vx-3 1.5-5x20 question

Voodooracer

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I'm looking at ordering a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x20 scope for my cz 550 in 375h&h. I'm mounting it with warne 1" medium height qd rings. I've heard some folks having trouble with some other scopes being too short to fit in the rings. I want to make sure everything will work before i order the scope. Does anyone have a similar setup? I'm just worried about getting the scope and having major issues for getting it mounted. From what I can tell i should have a little bit of room for adjustment but want to just be sure. I was looking through a lot of related posts and am having trouble figuring it out.

Thanks a lot,
Voodooracer

Voodooracer- I have the exact scope on my 375, 416 and Lott BUT am running Talley QD's. There was enough room to get the right eye alignment for me without the rings being right against the turret or on top of the obj. lens itself. Haven't had any problems thus far with any of the scopes from recoil and such.

Thanks for the info, If need be i could switch to talley rings. I'll have to see how things work out once i get the scope. I really like what i have seen and read about the scope and am excited to do some work with it.

For the CZ it's a special mount.
With my Winch 70 SE .416RM I have EAW pivot mount.. but CZ is particular.

Attachments

• 20130618_100104.jpg
    20130618_100104.jpg
    453.2 KB · Views: 2,276
If I remember correct the person that was having the problem was using a VXR 2-7x33. The objective bell didn't leave enough room to mount the scope and give proper eye relief. The scope you are looking at has a straight tube so you have a little more room to work with.

A suggestion,

Put your head on the stock in a comfortable position. Mark that point with a piece of tape.

Check how much eye relief that scope gives you (Leupold manuel or website) and mark that distance in front of the first piece of tape with another piece of tape.

Use a ruler (you will have to get the length of the scope) and measure forward from the second piece of tape. See where the scope will mount in both places. If it will fit you are fine. If not you will need to look for a special mount like bebo's or a different scope.

Hope this makes sense.

All the best.

Had issues with my .416 Rigby CZ and went with offset Recknagel CZ rings. They are quite high, but are Q.D. with a coin or knife blade through the attachment screws. Scope is a Leupold 2.5x20 so you can use the dimensions to compare against a 1.5-5 x 20.

I believe you could get them through your NECG in the US.

Attachments

• AAA010.jpg
    AAA010.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 2,598
The scope you want to buy will be used with a .375H&H .. According to the possibilities of this caliber, I think a scope with more magnification would be better, like
VX-3 2.5-8x36mm ( or , but more&more ... expansive VX-6 2-12ï¾—42) and exit the pb.

Thank you very much for the info! The scope should be here today so we shall see if it'll work. I think it will fit but will find out for sure tonight.

Good luck to you, great caliber/scope combo you picked. I had CZ550 in 416 Rigby, scope rings not touching the adjustment ring but covered part of the Gold Leupold band. Worked just fine though.

Thanks for the info everyone! I got the scope on but still have to do some fine tuning and a final torquing to do before i sight it in. It fits fine and I dont really have any issues with clearances. The only gripe i have is the bavarian style stock on my cz puts my face a little low so i have to raise my head slightly to get a proper sight picture. 1It doesnt interfere with my cheek weld that much so i can deal with it. I hope to have a range report and some pictures up soon

Had issues with my .416 Rigby CZ and went with offset Recknagel CZ rings. They are quite high, but are Q.D. with a coin or knife blade through the attachment screws. Scope is a Leupold 2.5x20 so you can use the dimensions to compare against a 1.5-5 x 20.

I believe you could get them through your NECG in the US.

that looks really high , do you have to raise your cheek/head up to see through it ok?

I did state it was quite high.

I did not lose cheek weld, however my head was far more upright than normal.

im the one who was having trouble with the VX-R 2-7x33. the 1.5-5x20 should fit perfectly but I feel it does not have enough magnification for the 375 H&H. the 375 H&H is fully capable of reaching out to targets at 300+ yards which I feel requires a minimum of 6x magnification for accurate shooting. the VX-6 1-6x24 is probably the ideal scope for the 375 H&H since it would work perfect up close as well as out to 300 yards. having said that... its expensive!

I will be trying a VX-2 3-9x40 as is has longer dimensions which will allow it to sit further back in the rings. if this doesn't work I may suck it up and buy the VX-6, the firedot feature would be very handy on buffalo.

-matt

On my .375 H&H Winch 70 SE I have VX2 3-9x40 no pb, long shot quite reliable and good eye relief.

I have the CZ550 375HH,with the American style stock I mounted a Vortex 3.5x10x50,,with a set of Alaska Arms, Quick release, you need the highest ring available when you use 50MM glass and I needed all of the front tube to get the eye release I needed, my CZ550 Mannlicher stocked uses Warne Quick release for the 3x9x40 Nikon I also used a high Mount but didn,t really need it,,,the fit was perfect,,I hope it warms up in Minnesota so I can range theses two beauties Africa is just around the corner

I got the scope and mounted it, everything looks good and no need for me to swap out the rings thankfully. Im really happy with the scope so far and hopefully will be able to sight it in shortly!securedownload (6).jpg

Thanks for the info, If need be i could switch to talley rings. I'll have to see how things work out once i get the scope. I really like what i have seen and read about the scope and am excited to do some work with it.

I have steel Talley QR rings on my CZ 550, with the same scope works great. Others may as well.
full

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x20 in Warne low QD rings (part number 200LM) on my CZ550 375H&H. It worked great and the bolt cleared the ocular bell.
1657711380581.png

Exact same rig currently on my win70 375… Warne low QD’s with a leupold vx3 1.5-5x

Works great and no clearance problems…

It’s actually headed back to South Africa with me in 2 days…

My CZ 9.3x62mm has a VX1 1-4x24 on it now, but I just got a VX3 1.5-5x24 with German #4 reticle I'm replacing it with. Love my setup.
9.3x62.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaydenJaco

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,