LEUPOLD COUNTERFEITS

Mark Biggerstaff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Joined
Feb 28, 2017
Messages
4,298
Reaction score
15,371
Location
Texas
Media
281
Hunting reports
Africa
9
USA/Canada
1
Hunted
Texas, Louisiana, South Africa,
Hey all
Just a word of caution, there seems to be an influx of Leupold counterfeits hit the US market thru some web sites.
I have seen two this week now here in Texas come in. Both were VX3i 4-14x40
Tell tale signs on these, 1- Box color and label is off, looks like but is not real. 2- These were CDS Models now discontinued and the fakes are NON CDS
3- and the biggest one and fastest to see, power ring goes counter clockwise, A true Leupold goes clock wise.
There have been some VX5 also seen.
Leupold will verify if you call customer service any serial number.

Just wanted give you all a heads up
 
All scopes are getting bad. I work in intellectual property protection (anti-counterfeiting) and I have worked with several major optics providers. Leupold was always one of the better companies about it, but whatever provider they use for it has been slipping over the past two years. Couple that with the SEO of Temu, and knockoffs that used to be hidden from public view (because they would omit the brand name in the listing title) are now available to everyone in basic searches.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0573.png
    IMG_0573.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 60
That is not to mention the fact that over half of all sellers on walmart.com are from China, and eBay cannot be too far behind. Listings on eBay can be even more deceptive because the listing can claim to be based anywhere in the US, but the seller’s about page has them as a China-based company.
 
Three or four years ago, a friend at the range bought a “Leupold” off a website (Wish?). He was having issues with it. Called Leupold and the serial number was fraudulent.
 
Here are some pics of counterfeit box and markings
Aside from the color (both the gold that is actually yellow and the crimson that is red) and sheen, there are a few other errors on this:
  1. The end of the box with all the specs looks like garbage.
  2. The font is off (and it’s bold)
  3. There is no space between “VX3i” and the magnification
  4. There is not a space between “Matte” and the dash
  5. Boxes do not say “American to the core” anymore, because Leupold abandoned the trademark after failing to prove that they used it
Interestingly enough, they actually use the proper UPC code.
 
Trijicon recommends you check the serial number on their website before buying any Trijicon product. But especially the RMR and SRO. They are the most often fake.
100% recommend this. I would do this for every optic purchased from anywhere that is not a legitimate distributor. I don’t even trust local gun stores unless they are well established. I have seen counterfeit RMRs and ACOGs being sold by what would appear to be legitimate stores at gun shows. Once you know how to spot them, you can see them from a mile away.

I’m honestly happy to put together an optics/outdoor brand guide for spotting fakes if there’s enough interest.
 
Trijicon recommends you check the serial number on their website before buying any Trijicon product. But especially the RMR and SRO.
As a side note you can do the same thing with the Habano’s website when buying Cuban cigars; there should be a UPC on the sealed box that will verify the brand and style.

Thanks to @Mark Biggerstaff for the public service announcement about the Leupolds, I’d seen a fake MKIV and several ACOGs but the best way I can describe it is……

While working security in college I would check thousands of IDs a weekend, sometimes a couple thousand a night and after a while you can catch fakes by the way they feel in your hand before you even look at it, something’s just not night about it and from there the better the fake the harder you have to look.

Hell, even some fake Rolex’s are made out of real gold.
 
This topic came up in June also (with fake criteria).

 
So, to avoid these problems only buy new from authorized dealers? And from what I am reading no Amazon or eBay “authorized dealer “?

I assume Bass Pro and Scheels are good, or have they infiltrated there somehow?
 
So, to avoid these problems only buy new from authorized dealers? And from what I am reading no Amazon or eBay “authorized dealer “?

I assume Bass Pro and Scheels are good, or have they infiltrated there somehow?
You need to buy from someone that has to stand behind their name and has something to lose if sued. You are safe with bass pro and Scheels or other major names, but anyone can open an eBay store then open a new one. I’m comfortable buying certain models used, but even here on AH I’m hesitant buying used scopes unless I trust the member and they confirm they purchased from authorized dealer.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,414
Messages
1,575,513
Members
170,343
Latest member
Caren18C50
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top