Let Us Build a 9.3x62: Comments Welcome

John P.

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
A nice Lothar Walther 9.3 barrel arrived yesterday. Pre chambered for 9.3x62 and threaded for the M98 Mauser. Unfired!

And complete with sights. Rear sight is installed but the front ramp has not been soldered yet.

I desire to build a rifle in the classic style of the Pre WW II Mausers.

Suggestions and photos of rifles would be appreciated.

The barrel below, hand threaded into one of my 1909 actions. Everything is in the white and needs a good polish job. Thinking of rust bluing the rifle.

ry%3D400

One standing and one fold down leaf.

ry%3D400

The front ramp slipped on the barrel. Moon bead flipped up.

ry%3D400

The mint 1909.

ry%3D400

Other action possibilities.

ry%3D400

I have the below stock for use as a pattern to make a stock for the rifle. Looks as if the Schnabel was cut off, but I will replace it when I modify the stock to fit my duplicator spindles.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Comments welcome!

Attachments

• ry=400-3.jpeg
    ry=400-3.jpeg
    13.5 KB · Views: 292
  • ry=400.jpeg
    ry=400.jpeg
    27 KB · Views: 353
  • ry=400-7.jpeg
    ry=400-7.jpeg
    12.1 KB · Views: 286
  • ry=400-4.jpeg
    ry=400-4.jpeg
    18.5 KB · Views: 279
  • ry=400-5.jpeg
    ry=400-5.jpeg
    23.7 KB · Views: 330
  • ry=400-2.jpeg
    ry=400-2.jpeg
    14.9 KB · Views: 284
  • ry=400-6.jpeg
    ry=400-6.jpeg
    11.8 KB · Views: 295
Looks like a nice project, I would go with rust bluing too. Put a nice pad on it and make sure the bedding is secure.

Excellent photos of many Pre-War hunting/sporting Mausers are located in Jon Speed's excellent book "Mauser: Original Orberndorf Sporting Rifles".

I look forward to seeing the progress on this project!

Excellent photos of many Pre-War hunting/sporting Mausers are located in Jon Speed's excellent book "Mauser: Original Orberndorf Sporting Rifles".

Thanks, I will try to find a copy. I enjoy photos of vintage British and Continent style Mausers. Especially the Sporting Rifles destined for Africa back in the old days.

I have been around the gun and hunting forms for years but decided to sign up on this site to document some of my rifle builds as 1) the Experience level here is the best and 2) The other sites are full of self proclaimed experts with big egos.

Excellent site here gents I have been visiting the old posts for information.

Von Gruff, where are you? I know you have some photos that would shed light on my project.

Two main decisions that I need to make: Barrel band front swivel lug? And I am tormented with the scope decision. In keeping with the classic style I think this should be an iron sighted rifle. Besides I do not want to poke holes into one of my fine Argentine actions. If I go with a scope I likely will use one of the Mark X actions that is drilled and tapped, but this would not be in a classic style. A modern action in a classic stock is contradictory.

John P. welcome to the site. Nice piece of English walnut, with schnabel, rust blued, simple engraving on the grip cap, leather covered pad or skeleton buttplate with fine checkering, iron sights. (Skip the scope, just have to stalk closer) Look forward to seeing your progress.

On a different subject I see a duplicator in your avatar, Would you consider doing a copy job? Or I need to get off my backside and build one:whistle:

John P. welcome to the site. Nice piece of English walnut, with schnabel, rust blued, simple engraving on the grip cap, leather covered pad or skeleton buttplate with fine checkering, iron sights. (Skip the scope, just have to stalk closer) Look forward to seeing your progress.

On a different subject I see a duplicator in your avatar, Would you consider doing a copy job? Or I need to get off my backside and build one:whistle:

I am thinking along your recommendations. Maybe a cocking piece peep as Von Gruff has on some of his rifles.

Yes, I have a duplicator. Along with a shop full of machine tools, I am a retired machinist.

I am not at the point of doing stock duplication for others, but possibly in the future. Too many projecst in the way now!

Back to the duplicator, I considered building one on the past and have a design worked out and most of the materials. But the big North Star revealed itself by sheer accident one weekend and I bought it. It was a basket case sitting under a blue tarp besides a barn in the very wet Puget Sound area of Washington State, on a hard to get to island. A wood carver had it, he used it to make whale carvings but the Chinese market killed his profits. Only about 75 air miles from me but it was a 20 hour round trip to pick it up. A roundabout way around Puget sound and two ferry rides to get to the place where it was sitting. I took it completely apart, sandblasted and painted everything, replaced all the bearings, and made some improvements. It is a beast and works very well: One spindle for the pattern and two spindles for actual carving, so I can make two stocks at the same time. One position has reversible rotation,meaning I can make a left hand stock from a right hand pattern.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

First order for the 9.3 is to make a good pattern from hard maple, using the stock pictured in my first post as a guide.

Below is a pattern stock in progress, here I am bedding the action and barrel channel for a good surface for the tracer to glide on. Next step is a good sanding and a painting with hard black epoxy paint, also for a good surface. Note the cut at the grip area filled with epoxy: This is where I "bent" the stock for cast off, this pattern has 1/2" cast off which fits me well.

ry%3D400

Attachments

• ry=400.jpeg
    ry=400.jpeg
    33.5 KB · Views: 424
  • ry=400-2.jpeg
    ry=400-2.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 292
  • ry=400-3.jpeg
    ry=400-3.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 272
  • ry=400-4.jpeg
    ry=400-4.jpeg
    18.8 KB · Views: 330
I have a nice plan and most of the materials to build a duplicator, but other projects keep getting in the way. Currently building my wife a oak sideboard and wine rack. Then have a Ruger #1 to restock. I spent a couple years in the puget sound area at Ft Lewis in the late 70's. So understand the multiple ferry's etc to get to some of the islands. Thanks for the idea of hard epoxy on the pattern, I need a 3/8 cast and 15LOP to work with my monkey length arms. look forward to watching the progress on your project

I love the 9.3x62, here is mine ....

171dfb6bb8b57945560327b75a635f2d_zpsauuuxt5y.jpg

40d956d2f842646ad5b6792cbc9b797b_zpsjlcynlk4.jpg

Attachments

• 171dfb6bb8b57945560327b75a635f2d_zpsauuuxt5y.jpg
    171dfb6bb8b57945560327b75a635f2d_zpsauuuxt5y.jpg
    744.2 KB · Views: 451
  • 40d956d2f842646ad5b6792cbc9b797b_zpsjlcynlk4.jpg
    40d956d2f842646ad5b6792cbc9b797b_zpsjlcynlk4.jpg
    852.8 KB · Views: 1,400
I have a nice plan and most of the materials to build a duplicator, but other projects keep getting in the way. Currently building my wife a oak sideboard and wine rack. Then have a Ruger #1 to restock. I spent a couple years in the puget sound area at Ft Lewis in the late 70's. So understand the multiple ferry's etc to get to some of the islands. Thanks for the idea of hard epoxy on the pattern, I need a 3/8 cast and 15LOP to work with my monkey length arms. look forward to watching the progress on your project

Yea I know about other projects. Currently remodeling a bed room and a bath. Gets in the way of serious gun work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg