Leopard Success Rates

I would estimate that 9 out of 10 contributors here over the last ten years who ask about hunting with a particular PH or outfitter do so after he has already booked the hunt. :rolleyes:
I’ve had people reach out to me for a reference on an outfitter or PH after they’ve already booked. I’ll give them my honest opinion, but sometimes I tell them things they really don’t want to hear. Then they get upset about it. That’s the problem with asking after you’ve already booked. Sometimes the truth isn’t what you were hoping to hear.
 
I’ve had people reach out to me for a reference on an outfitter or PH after they’ve already booked. I’ll give them my honest opinion, but sometimes I tell them things they really don’t want to hear. Then they get upset about it. That’s the problem with asking after you’ve already booked. Sometimes the truth isn’t what you were hoping to hear.
Same. Never understood checking after the fact.
 
Another thing to consider once you’ve identified the best PH and area. Go sooner rather than later. The cost of leopard hunting is increasing at an astonishing rate! In 2009, I took my first safari in Africa. A 10-day Namibia hunt specifically. At the time, the outfitter would have charged me a $4,500 trophy fee for a leopard. No additional daily fee! It was more than my budget would allow at the time. Fast forward to 2025. I went with the same outfit for a leopard. Got one too….but the fees were a lot more than a $4,500 add on!
 
I’ve had people reach out to me for a reference on an outfitter or PH after they’ve already booked. I’ll give them my honest opinion, but sometimes I tell them things they really don’t want to hear. Then they get upset about it. That’s the problem with asking after you’ve already booked. Sometimes the truth isn’t what you were hoping to hear.
This also happens on the forum from time to time.

My opinion, once the hunt is booked, go there, do the best you can. Che sera, sera.
Ask for ref, before booking. After that is too late

What references to ask after the hunt is booked? Why? it is pointless.
 
At the time, the outfitter would have charged me a $4,500 trophy fee for a leopard. No additional daily fee! I
That offer can still be found. On my contract for Namibia 2022, it was written, if leopard is taken during antelope hunt and day light stalking, trophy fee is 5000 eur. No additional charge

But the problem is, who has ever seen a leopard in broad day light, sunbathing at a tree, during hunt for red hartebeest and oryx, on central namibian farmland?
 
This also happens on the forum from time to time.

My opinion, once the hunt is booked, go there, do the best you can. Che sera, sera.
Ask for ref, before booking. After that is too late

What references to ask after the hunt is booked? Why? it is pointless.
I think its to validate their decision. I agree, pointless.
 
That offer can still be found. On my contract for Namibia 2022, it was written, if leopard is taken during antelope hunt and day light stalking, trophy fee is 5000 eur. No additional charge

But the problem is, who has ever seen a leopard in broad day light, sunbathing at a tree, during hunt for red hartebeest and oryx, on central namibian farmland?
The deal in my case included baiting, blinds, the whole shebang! Just pay the plains game day rate and the trophy fees for whatever you shoot! At the time, the PH was young and just getting started. Regardless, he was running near 100% on leopards….he still is almost 20 years later. What has changed is the price!
 
This reminds me of a joke:
A patients comes to a heart surgery.

And he says to doctor: Doc, I am afraid, you know. This is my first heart surgery!

Doctor replies in calm, warm, and comforting voice: Ahhh, dont worry, it is first time for me too!

Well he should have asked for the references before.
 
What has changed is the price!
The price definitely changes.
I vividly remember my kudu, 2017. price was 1400. This year, same place 2500. hmmm.. 9 years later
 
I would love to have been Harry Selby’s first client. Or Philip Percival’s. Or John Kingsley-Heath’s. Or Robin Hurt’s. Or…….
 
best of luck to all who try!!!!!!
 
Very general question for anyone:

What is the current base rate only for leopard with hounds in Mozambique and also in Botswana for 2027?

Just curious. Thanks in advance, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.
 
Very general question for anyone:

What is the current base rate only for leopard with hounds in Mozambique and also in Botswana for 2027?

Just curious. Thanks in advance, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.
DG daily rates $2k-$2.4k + houndsman fees (mobilization and use ~$5k-$7k) plus TF/$6k-$8k depending has been my research.

I’m already booked for hounds over leopard for ‘28 in Panyame Moz for a nighttime hunt.
 
DG daily rates $2k-$2.4k + houndsman fees (mobilization and use ~$5k-$7k) plus TF/$6k-$8k depending has been my research.

I’m already booked for hounds over leopard for ‘28 in Panyame Moz for a nighttime hunt.

Roughly, $37,000 if my math is correct for a 10 day leopard with hounds hunt in Mozambique. Seems more reasonable financially than leopard over bait hunt?? I don’t know what those hunts are generally selling for now.

Good luck on your upcoming journey and happy hunting to all, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.
 
So help me with being the best kind of client of which we can assume you are exemplary. Based on your understanding of hunting ethics and desire to submit yourself to the "vagaries of the natural world," would you spend 20K on an elk hunt in an area with few elk or hire a guide with a reputation of rarely taking elk? Assuming we are not hunting behind fences, would you rather hunt a sable or nyala where they are abundant, or on the fringes of their habitat where an outfitter is lucky to take one a year? And what exactly is that contract that you sign if it isn't a transactional agreement?

What @375Fox and I are saying, however mistaken he is in his priorities, :A Whistle: is if a particular game animal is the primary purpose of a hunt, whether a royal elk, mountain goat, buffalo, or leopard, the best sort of client will do his due diligence to pick an outfitter with the area and skill set to conjure up that opportunity before then resigning oneself to the vagaries of the hunt. That isn't seeking a guarantee - it is employing common sense.
I am on the other side of the equation, and have dealt with my share of dolts who are arrogant, demanding and have unrealistic expectations, and foist those expectations on the guide. Even in great areas with good quantities of quality animals, nothing is guaranteed... when you hunt hard, go above and beyond and still deal with shitty attitudes and poor behavior, you start to get it. 90% of clients are terrific, 10% (ish) need a serious attitude adjustment.
And I believe I said do your homework, and prepare... after that, try to be a decent human being.
 
I am on the other side of the equation, and have dealt with my share of dolts who are arrogant, demanding and have unrealistic expectations, and foist those expectations on the guide. Even in great areas with good quantities of quality animals, nothing is guaranteed... when you hunt hard, go above and beyond and still deal with shitty attitudes and poor behavior, you start to get it. 90% of clients are terrific, 10% (ish) need a serious attitude adjustment.
And I believe I said do your homework, and prepare... after that, try to be a decent human being.
I can not argue with any of that.
 
Very general question for anyone:

What is the current base rate only for leopard with hounds in Mozambique and also in Botswana for 2027?

Just curious. Thanks in advance, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.
Mozambique will depend on the area. From what I’ve seen on a hound hunt $34-42k seems to be the current going rate. Some prime/special areas are higher. In certain areas of Moz they also don’t run or set baits. Instead they run the roads and sand rivers looking for fresh tracks so you save a bit there vs having to shoot bait. These areas can sometimes but a little higher in cost. Leopards are also typically a bit smaller in Mozambique.

Zim is typically $38-45k sometimes a bit more but area dependent. Zim houndsman typically still run/utilize baits to get the cats moving. In doing this they often also Use cameras so you’ve got a better idea of the cat you’re turning out on. Just cause you turn out doesn’t mean the dogs will bay the cat.

From my research Botswana is very dependent upon area. Some areas are inline with Zim (often towards the higher end) but the best areas start north of $50k. Quotes I got in 2024 ranged from $50-65k.
 
Success rates for the PH are also dependent upon whether the hunter could stay quiet and still in the blind, keep up with the pack, not meander around aimlessly taking pictures of butterflies around the bait set while the guys are working, not fall asleep, and make a good killing shot under pressure.

I’d like to hear from PH’s how many hunts could have been successful if the hunters exercised some discipline and showed up to work seriously expecting the job to be difficult but blew it because they couldn’t pull themselves together when the moment arrived.
That's a very good question to ask! Even then, how would one separate a bias from fact? Maybe I'm off on this question, but isn't seeing leopards at your bait or treed by dogs, whether the shot misses or connects a success? I for one, would like to know, because I really want to hunt leopard.
 
That's a very good question to ask! Even then, how would one separate a bias from fact? Maybe I'm off on this question, but isn't seeing leopards at your bait or treed by dogs, whether the shot misses or connects a success? I for one, would like to know, because I really want to hunt leopard.
I think it’s successful in so much that the PH did his job as promised. But if I tossed a shot or didn’t shoot because of lack of conditioning or pissed away my time and the crew’s efforts in a blind because I was noisily fidgeting, I’d be unable to call my own efforts a success.

Add to that that there will be disappointment and looks behind my back for the rest of my time on the hunt.

I know personally on PH that calls a leopard on bait a success. I know of one leopard hunter that would argue that an immature Tom on bait is not a success.
 
That's a very good question to ask! Even then, how would one separate a bias from fact? Maybe I'm off on this question, but isn't seeing leopards at your bait or treed by dogs, whether the shot misses or connects a success? I for one, would like to know, because I really want to hunt leopard.
Degrees of success and they’re different for each of us

Mature legal animal (within the clients parameters) with a legit shot opportunity is success on the PH’s part. The PH has zero control over the hunters ability and as long as the client was upfront about their goals then all should be on the same page.

Me personally as a hunter, I don’t consider myself successful unless I’ve achieved the end result.

Leopard Hunt #1: I passed on a legal but non representative Tom for the area I was hunting. Even the PH said he’d have passed unless the client was just looking for any legal leopard to check the box. Both myself and the PH consider that unsuccessful

Leopard Hunt #2: I took a giant Tom that easily dwarfs the minimum for Rowland Ward. I wasn’t looking for a record book type trophy and won’t enter it. I did however want a larger than average (for the continent) and a representative species for the specific area I was hunting. We achieved this.

If I’d wounded and lost or missed the leopard then I personally wouldn’t have considered it a success on my end. I could see a PH counting it as a success on their end, though I don’t think mine would.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,299
Messages
1,572,058
Members
169,486
Latest member
RoccoBarra
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top