Leopard Setup

Wiley64

AH enthusiast
Joined
Nov 9, 2018
Messages
362
Reaction score
781
Location
Texas
Media
2
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Hunted
South Africa
Just kicking around ideas on what is the ideal rifle caliber and scope setup for leopard hunting. Experienced leopard hunters please chime in.
 
I shot my Leopard with a 300 win mag . Barnes 180gr Ammunition. He ran about 50 yards
 
Last edited:
No experience with a min mag.....
 
Over bait (as done in Zimbabwe or Tanzania or South Africa)- A telescopic sighted bolt action 7x57mm Mauser would get my vote as the acceptable minimum (not too high magnification). Loaded with 175Gr lead cored soft points (such as Hornady Interlock). A .30-06 Springfield with 220Gr Remington Core Lokts is an excellent choice. Or a .300 Winchester Magnum loaded with 200Gr Hornady ELD-X Red Tips. Aim for any of the rosettes behind the shoulder.

Over hounds/bushmen trackers (as done in the Kalahari)- An open sighted double rifle in either 9.3x74mmR or .375 Holland & Holland Magnum or .500/416 Nitro Express with lead cored soft points. My personal choice would be for a Heym Model 89B in .500/416 Nitro Express with 26" barrels, manual safety, wide V backsights & uncovered ivory bead foresight. Loaded with 400Gr Nosler Partition factory loads. Here, you need a larger caliber rifle... because when pushed hard enough, the leopard will eventually charge.
 
Last edited:
I would look for something between .243 and .500 nitro that you shoot well with soft bullet.

Seriously, it doesn’t take much to kill a leopard. Shot placement is everything. .375 is ideal. A .300 mag also works where legal.

I think this is really a job for a bolt gun. Any good scope with an illuminated reticle and maximum power range of 8 to 12 will be fine.
 
.300 win mag will do the job, if I was goiing for my own.

Lon
 
Accuracy is everything, then a soft expandable bullet. Caliber not so much. I personally would not use a monolithic bullet (like the Barnes) they tend to go straight through instead of rapidly expanding and causing more shock.

The last thing you want with a leopard is a blood trailing job! The only leopard I have shot was with a 9,3x62 with woodleigh bullets. Went 10 yards after hitting the ground
 
Over bait (as done in Zimbabwe or Tanzania or South Africa)- A telescopic sighted bolt action 7x57mm Mauser would get my vote as the acceptable minimum (not too high magnification). Loaded with 175Gr lead cored soft points (such as Hornady Interlock). A .30-06 Springfield with 220Gr Remington Core Lokts is an excellent choice. Or a .300 Winchester Magnum loaded with 200Gr Hornady ELD-X Red Tips.

Over hounds/bushmen trackers (as done in the Kalahari)- An open sighted double barrel rifle in either 9.3x74mmR or .375 Holland & Holland Magnum or .500/416 Nitro Express with lead cored soft points. My personal choice would be for a Heym Model 89B in .500/416 Nitro Express with 26" barrels, manual safety, wide V backsights & uncovered ivory bead foresight. Loaded with 400Gr Nosler Partition factory loads.
booked in Moz to take mine over bait with my 30-06 with a fire dot Leupold variable scope with Nosler 165 grain quick expansion bullets
 
booked in Moz to take mine over bait with my 30-06 with a fire dot Leupold variable scope with Nosler 165 grain quick expansion bullets
That's one dead leopard I see in your near future. Noslers are excellent leopard bullets.

By the way, what happened to the .275 Rigby which you were planning on using ?
 
I’m booked for Tanzania in 25. Worked up a load using 180 Scirocco in a 300 Win doing about 2950fps. Using a model 70 with Leupold fire dot.
 
I’m booked for Tanzania in 25. Worked up a load using 180 Scirocco in a 300 Win doing about 2950fps. Using a model 70 with Leupold fire dot.
Will be devastating....
 
I have killed leopard with 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, 375 H & H, 416 Rigby and they all worked fine. I prefer a 300 Win Mag.
 
Gentelmen,full disclosure here. I don't know squat about hunting for a leopard, and please educate me. Wont some of these rounds just blow up and explode the cat, making it a nightmare for a taxidermist ?
With all due respect. David
 
Nope leopards are tough......
 
That's one dead leopard I see in your near future. Noslers are excellent leopard bullets.

By the way, what happened to the .275 Rigby which you were planning on using ?
You sir have a great memory!!! When my dad died he gave me his favorite rifle which is a Ruger 30-06. Nostalgia hit me and I want to feel him watching me as I take my leopard something he would have never dreamed of
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,383
Messages
1,574,678
Members
170,109
Latest member
BNIBirgit
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top