Leopard bullet choice

I've heard that the 10 ga 3 1/2" with a Magnum load of 000 buckshot will not let you down.

Hearsay....unless you shoot it off the barrel... Slugs are the best way to go with a shotgun and Brenneke at that. And only on follow up not initial shot.

Ok just a quick note, Hill country rifles needs to change the trigger mechanism on my 270wsm. They along with me have no idea how that assembly got all gummed up and basically frozen. $99 factory assembly or $279 for aftermarket. Went with the factory one. Sent them the scope also to resight it in. I’ll head out to the range once I get it back.

Johnny, good luck with your cat.
I just booked a leopard for June. October I'll be in Kyrgyzstan for Ibex.

I’d love to hear about your ibex hunt. One of my greatest adventures was Kyrgyzstan.

53797_600x400.jpg

Big old goat eating Tom taken with .458 Nosler Partition Protected Point at 2200 fps MV.
Expanded to one inch diameter; recovered under far side hide against sand.

Last edited by a moderator:
260gr Nosler accubond is a great leopard bullet for the 375 @ anything over 2750 fps

260gr Nosler accubond is a great leopard bullet for the 375 @ anything over 2750 fps

Can you get that kind of velocity with it in a .375 H&H?

Easy

Reactions: WAB
I just recently shot some factory 250 gr Hornady GMX over my MagnetoSpeed, in my 23 inch barrel 375 Ruger and average a little over 2800 fps. This might work on a leopard.

Bad idea for a leopard bullet so is any monometal bullet....

Bad idea for a leopard bullet so is any monometal bullet....

So the data @BRICKBURN posted in Post #4 would suggest otherwise.

If the Accubond is a great bullet, how can a GMX (or TSX or TTSX) be a bad bullet? Please explain as I am really interested in learning. Leopard hunting from a blind and a relatively short short (less than 100 yards) seems to be not too difficult.

Can you get that kind of velocity with it in a .375 H&H?
My load for 270gr Woodleighs was 2650 I believe. So that should not be a problem.

So the data @BRICKBURN posted in Post #4 would suggest otherwise.

If the Accubond is a great bullet, how can a GMX (or TSX or TTSX) be a bad bullet? Please explain as I am really interested in learning. Leopard hunting from a blind and a relatively short short (less than 100 yards) seems to be not too difficult.
Monometal...

It is not about seems not too difficult, it is about reliable max expansion every time. Relatively soft bullet that stais together.

1613320278519.png

If they all performed like the bullet on the right they would be fine but they do not.

Many use only Barnes and swear by them but I do not and I do not recommend them. Especially for leopard or lion...

So you plan on eating the leopard?
No, but it is reportedly served in some places............. ("Reportedly" is such a MSM word these days)

Many use only Barnes and swear by them but I do not and I do not recommend them. Especially for leopard or lion...
I've never jumped on the Barnes band wagon, but recently have started playing the GMX.

I have never hunted leopard but it seems to me that something like a Federal fusion or Nosler partition would be ideal. We are talking about a thin skinned animal about the size of a southern whitetail. The penetration of a mono metal or a-frame shouldn't be needed. Relatively fast and reliable expansion to put the animal down quickly would however, be very advantageous.

Yip they are not all that big 150-220 lbs average probably 140 - 165 lbs and yes they are "soft skinned" but trust me comparing them to southern whitetail could be a grave mistake. Mature old males are heavily muscled, extremely strong(pound for pound much more than a lion), so the necessary proper caliber and bullet needs to be used. Use the wrong, caliber or bullet and be slightly off on the shot can result in quickly finding out how tenacious they can be.

No other member of the big 5 gets me so nervous to follow up than leopard, extremely fast, attacking from extreme close quarters with the ability to dish out punishment to all in the follow up party before they can react. Yes you would probably survive the ordeal but it is not a pretty sight....

I read a description somewhere about looking like members played with a out of control chainsaw....having seen the results I must say this is a very apt description. A typical injury especially to the first victim is getting scalped...

@Kevin Peacocke made a very valid comment all members of the big 5 "they are worthy of great respect and a very careful hunt"

True words and well worth following.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg