AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
AK WSF, AMM, DSC, GOA, GRAA, NRA, PHASA, SCI, WSF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Argentina, Canada, England, Macedonia, Mexico, Serbia, Alaska, USA
Suggestions please on a good shooting left-handed bolt action .308 for the wife. 12.5-13 inch length of pull. Nothing that looks like an AR. Adjustable lop and cheek piece is fine. Thanks all.

Depends on how much you want to spend, but Savage makes a boatload of LH rifles, especially in common calibers like 308. I've owned quite a number of them over the years, they're MOA accurate, more or less, right out of the box. Tikka makes quite a few lefties, but none have adjustable stocks. You could get a T3X Hunter and cut the stock to fit, though.

Savage Model 110 Storm (synth stock, SS barrel) has an adjustable LOP down to 12.75"

Unless y'all are just dead-set on a 308, I'd also give some consideration to the exact same rifle in 7mm-08. A lightweight 308 will have kinda snappy recoil for a small-ish woman. Certainly not unmanageable, but if she isn't used to shooting, 7mm-08 is a smaller learning curve in a lot of ways.

1697417819339.png

I'll probably be buying my son-in-law a rifle some time in the next year. It's going to be a 110 Storm in 7mm-08.

Last edited:
@sgt_zim thanks for your thoughts. She shoots a Ruger .375 for her DG so the .308 won’t be a problem and she hunted with a loaner in SA and loved it.

Attachments

• Left Handed Ruger **NOT**PERMITTED** Scout Rifle 308 Win Rifle Camo - Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com...pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
I kinda ended up with a few Tikkas by chance. One left to another.
Wasn't fussed on all the plastic of the first T3 around 10 years ago but I got over it.

I later bought a Tikka CTR with the shorter length of pull in 7mm-08, basically a Truck gun in US terms but has been great.

I figure the CTR can be found in a lefty and .308 is probably as common as they get

Trim a little of a L/H Tikka and you've nothing to lose because they just work there are other stocks kicking around . Probably numerous options in the USA

Suggestions please on a good shooting left-handed bolt action .308 for the wife. 12.5-13 inch length of pull. Nothing that looks like an AR. Adjustable lop and cheek piece is fine. Thanks all.
While I’ve heard good things about the Savage - especially their “accutrigger” and of course low price, I’ve never owned one so can’t provide real insight. I’m a LEFTY and do like the Browning ABolt and newer model Browning XBolt. The XBolt also has an excellent adjustable trigger (easily done yourself) and the short roatation on their bolt makes it very fast to recycle another round. I also think they have a nice wood stock vs. the cheap “plastic fantastic” found on many rifles (does Not look like an AR !). My Son has the XBolt in .243 and it’s light, trim, and very accurate (1” MOA for 3 shots), the fast bolt allowed a quick 2nd shot on one of our Wyoming trips. You certainly have choices and I think the .308 an excellent all around caliber - adequate for Bear/Elk, excellent for deer, and on down to antelope. My used his .308 in Africa for all his PG - big Water Buck & Hyena.

Another vote here for a Tikka Tx3. My wife is a lefty and wanted to start hunting after our trip to SA. We got her a .308 Hunter...super accurate, nice wood and blued steel, and not too heavy. She loves it!

Another vote here for a Tikka Tx3. My wife is a lefty and wanted to start hunting after our trip to SA. We got her a .308 Hunter...super accurate, nice wood and blued steel, and not too heavy. She loves it!
I’m also Lefty, have a Tikka T3 in .22-250 purchased in 2002. I like it, and heres what I like: very accurate (.75” MOA 3 shot group) smooth bolt action (I believe this action is lined with a polymer vs. metal on metal so it’s very smooth) and has a crisp 3lb trigger. I use it for Coyote, fox, woodchucks, Prairie Dogs. Here’s what I don’t like: Wood is ‘Maple’ so functional & better then plastic but hardly beautiful. The bluing - flat, no luster, real cheap looking. The weight - heavy as any of my .30-06’s. But I never worry about scratching it or messing it up - it’s a workhorse.

if you could find a lefthand remington 700 youth model in 7mm08 with a 20" barrel i think it would be prefect for her. as a lefty i have a few left hand rifles, not in the picture is a ss browning A-bolt left hand .280 rem.

DSCN1259 (3).JPG
DSCN0408 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Another option is the Weatherby Vanguard Youth in 308 or 7mm-08 (what mine is). I believe they are available in a lefty. Comes with an extra spacer to "grow" with a young shooter. If I recall correctly, 12.5" LOP or 13.5" with spacer. My Granddaughter has used it to good effect on a few antelope. Pretty good trigger and accuracy.

Left hander here, I really have been pleased with my left hand Tikka 308. Good shooter, I like the weight, blued steel and wood stock.
@Mike70560
My mate Greg has a left hand Tikka 308. Problem is its ammo fussy. Loves 150s and 180s but hates most 165s except the Hornady Interlock. The 159s and 180s are very accurate in HIS rifle tho.
Bob

Another option is the Weatherby Vanguard Youth in 308 or 7mm-08 (what mine is). I believe they are available in a lefty. Comes with an extra spacer to "grow" with a young shooter. If I recall correctly, 12.5" LOP or 13.5" with spacer. My Granddaughter has used it to good effect on a few antelope. Pretty good trigger and accuracy.
This is also a good option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bruce1324

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,