Kudu Rifle

On my 4 African hunts, I've been involved in taking 6 kudu. I took two with a 375 H&H, 300 gr TBBC's. My two sons each took one with 30-06s, 180 gr TBBCs, and two friends each took one with 300RSAUMs, 180 gr. They all worked just fine. I would not hesitate to take a kudu with any 30 caliber rifle. Inside 100 yds I'd have no problem with a broadside shot with a 30-30. Put one in the heart lung triangle and it will go down.

I think this is where we seperate trophy shooters from hunters. Unless the trophy is the only prize and the PH is pushing for a trophy fee and not a hunting experience, ( and lets be honest, everyone has different prioritys ) a hunter will gladly give up an impossible shot or be able to wait or work for a better presentation of the animal.

If the former is the case then the bigger cartridge one can shoot accurately, the better. I realise a lot of people have limited time these days for a safari, but how they shoot their game is their choice.

Code4,

So if a guy can make the shot, has a rifle appropriate for the purpose and takes a going away shot at a big trophy he is somehow less of a hunter than a guy that will wait for an easier shot presentation? I was not recommending taking a Hail Mary shot with a small chance of success. I was saying that particularlly in Africa the shots you are offered are often at game that already knows you are there and may be moving out. To let those shots go for no practical reason seems foolhardy to me.

As for trophy hunters I don't mind saying I am a trophy hunter. On the other hand if I do not get my trophy I've had the experience of the hunt and being in Africa by itself is worth the time. What makes this different than a "hunter"? It seemed you found there to be some obvious distinction between the two.

If a hunter wants to hunt with a less tha ideal cartridge for the job in the worst case scenario, a handgun or a bow he just has to know before the safari that he probably will have to let some good opportunities go. In my caseif a 60" kudu is walking away from me at 50 yards I want to shoot him not just watch.

I have shot close to 50 kudu's here in South Africa. I can say with experience that a .308 is my favorite caliber to use. With good shooting, you will probably find a massive bull close by your impact location. I have also used the .243 and the 7x57 and found good results with them also. The reason why a .308 is a better caliber is because kudu's love to stick to cover. The .308 allows you to break through some twigs blocking your shot where the other two rifles do not do that. If you are hunting in Limpopo or regions that look the same, I would go with a .308-.375. All gun work the same. Its the shooter that makes the difference.

UxbridgeSafari

Welcome to AH...Nice information that you passed on to members.

I have shot close to 50 kudu's here in South Africa. I can say with experience that a .308 is my favorite caliber to use. With good shooting, you will probably find a massive bull close by your impact location. I have also used the .243 and the 7x57 and found good results with them also. The reason why a .308 is a better caliber is because kudu's love to stick to cover. The .308 allows you to break through some twigs blocking your shot where the other two rifles do not do that. If you are hunting in Limpopo or regions that look the same, I would go with a .308-.375. All gun work the same. Its the shooter that makes the difference.

Wow what a subject I picked it up a bit late, saw there were a couple of jabs and over hand rights flying around earlier sorry I missed that, for the most part I will try to give a broad overview of what would be best.

Having grown up hunting Kudu as they were more plentifull than Impala I wacked a couple myself until I strted full time hunting 13 years ago, For some reason I think the question has been possed wrong it should be which caliber would be best suited for Kudu it what kind of terrain.

Kudu as we all know like varying landscape, in the Northern part of the Limpopo province on the border with Bots, they like the thck black thorn and the immense sickel bush thickets that can cover thousands of acres as well as the thick Combretum apiculatum (red bush willow) in some parts. in these areas a nice heavy slow traveling bullet would be the best choice.

375 h&h, 35 Whelen being my top pick, as well as 338 with a heavy bullet, 45-70, 3006 308 303 and even 30 30 I would however opt for at least a 180gr plus in the 3006, 180 in the 308 and 170 in 303, the slower and heavier the round the less deflection it will have but even the 375 or 45 7- with a heavy bullet still deflects it just deflects slightly less over distance. (Keep in mind defelction increases over distance, in my opinion shots through a little bit of obstruction should only be taken if the quarry it up against such twigs(25 -30 yards behind it is to far.....deflection increases and you stand the chance of hitting your quarry in a less than desiarable area of the body) But the slow traveling heavy rounds will give you a more true flight should you hit any little sticks or twigs. I need to add that taking a shot and thinking you will be busting through brush is a novel and foolish idea.

When you get into mountaineous terrain which kudu also love you are most likely to be confronted with a 150 - 300 yeard shot, here all the flat shooting 30's and there bigger buddies come into action, (once again I have shot 300 + with my 375 but let's be honest that is not its application)
Here your 7mm 300 super duper ultra short ported mag is perfect it holds velocity down range and has a reasonably flat trajectory (keeping in m ind that a trajectory can never be flat on this planet as gravity works on it the moment it leaves your barrel, it just keeps on falling for longer....;-) I have also shot many Kudu with my 22-250 but lets be honest it's not ideal, I would reccomend a 30 to any hunter that askes me this question the rest can be sorted with bullet weight, granted that it has satisfying accuracy.

I take my 375 anywhere but I know the rate of bullet drop and that works for me it is always good to know trajectories, on the other hand one could always invest in a 375 h&h stick a 270gr bullet in its throat and you have a plains game gun as well as a dangerous game rifle perfect for hunting africa, as a trophy hunter.

You know what screw that just buy a 375

My best always

PS I am slightly biast when it comes to the larger calibers....did you notice! ;-)

.308, .30-06, 9,3x62...all good for Kudu and these are not, in my opinion, overpowered cartridges for Kudu, they are just right.

In my experience Kudus tend to be more elusive than what they are 'tough' and thats what makes them a good quarry (i've hunted them for a while and only managed a couple of cows and a young bull), they are super sneeky and if you dont have your wits about you...

But dont underestimate them if you decide on a frontal shot. Know whats in the chest and how its positioned in the ribcage and between the two heavy shoulder bones from that angle, because they can take you for a long long ride if not mortally wounded, this is where the greater damage from a .30 calibre bullet will serve you better as opposed to a .243 (but I love the .243). Outfitters and PHs give the best advice regarding shot-placement and calibres.

I think a .243 is a great cartridge and I respect it and its good for use on Kudu, but its not my first choice for a Kudu. I have seen with my own eyes a few hunters who have too much 'trust' in their smaller .20 calibres then take angled shots...which leads to follow up shots and damaged meat (i'm a South African biltong hunter!) but for a trophy hunter this may result in a damaged trophy or skin.

I agree with Frederik, a good scope is a valuable asset as well as shot placement before bullet caliber. But in my opinion, to be on the safer side, bring a .270 or larger for Kudu.

Hope you get your bull/s.

Happy hunting.

A great new year ahead to all!!!

Just buy a 375 and get over it its simply the best there is no such thing as overpowered on any game animal underpowered yes! Overpowered NO!

My best always.

I have gone through the four pages or posts and found seven posters who I believe are residents of southern Africa. I have left out the visitors and myself. Of those, all have used up to .30 cal rifles to successfully take Kudu and recommend up to that calibre. One, Jaco Strauss recommends the .375H&H.

The initial question is about a "Kudu calibre". The 30 cal and up is enough: 308, 30-06; 300 WM, 338 etc. Use mid to heavy bullets of premiun quality. If you have a larger cal like 9.3 or 375 its fine and will do the job as good and better. Shot placement is critical with any calibre. Don't shoot through brush (branches, twiggs etc. with any calibre!) I have used 30-06 and 375 H&H on kudu but I mostly use a 7 x 57 and shot quite a few kudu with 130gr GS Custom bullets. I never shoot through any obstruction and make sure that my shot is true which means: I'll rather wait for a clear shot than try to shoot at angles or through stuff. A kudu is not as tough as a blue wildebeest or even a zebra an will succomb quickly of any shot through the lungs. If you know your 308 or 30-06's trajectory, there is no reason why you cannot shoot a big buck like a kudu at 2 - 300 m. If you zero your rifle at 200m, you are up 2" at 100m and down 4-6" at 300m. Aim in the middle of the vital tri-angle and voila.

Code 04

Please see what I said in the thread and I quote myself.
Below I also stated that I would reccomend a 30 cal,
I am however a major league 375 supporter/fan!!!!

And I quote!
"Here your 7mm 300 super duper ultra short ported mag is perfect it holds velocity down range and has a reasonably flat trajectory (keeping in m ind that a trajectory can never be flat on this planet as gravity works on it the moment it leaves your barrel, it just keeps on falling for longer....;-) I have also shot many Kudu with my 22-250 but lets be honest it's not ideal, I would reccomend a 30 to any hunter that askes me this question the rest can be sorted with bullet weight, granted that it has satisfying accuracy."

I said that I would reccomend a 30 caliber.

My best always

Jaco Zeeman, our posts are almost Carbon copies, agree 100% although you do not always get a broadside shot, 7x57 kicks ass!

My best always

Yes Jaco. I just wanted to confrim you comments and add some of my own spices. love my .375 H&H and it accompanies me to all and sundry hunting areas and shooting ranges. I am a member of BASA and shoot my 375 often. Not mush that can beat it for general hunting and everyday use. I load 265gr GS Custom HV @ 2590fps.

BTW,

Just out of curiosity. I know I've seen women hunters in photographs. However, I'm just wondering if there are any women PHs who act as guides out there. Not that I am looking for one. I'm just curious if women get involved in that aspect of the business, or if they prefer to remain inside running the offices. ; )

Got onto this thread a little late, but maybe you will read this still. There is a female PH in Tanzania, Natasha Illum Berg, who does "old time" safaris, travelling on foot, with porters. Go on her website, natashaillumberg.com, it makes interesting reading.

Jaco S,

Please accept my apology. I read that wrong. Thank you for clearing that up.

I just got an email notification that this string was 'hot' again. Read the various comments, then noted your response here regarding Ms Berg in Tanzania. I was just curious. Thanks.

Regarding Kudu guns, I have a .35 Whelen I had built some years ago for elk, which it appears will do just fine. I also decided on a .30-06 bolt action for my other safari gun. I bought a Santa Barbara Spanish Mauser barreled action. Just saving up for the stock now. Looking for some nice wood. Thought I might depart from the common walnuts and go with something like Bubinga or the like. Plan to top it off with a Zeiss Conquest in 3-10. I figure the .30-06 and .35 Whelen combo ought to be sufficient for any plains game hunt. I hope to have saved up the bucks for such a trip in the next year or so. Once I got reading about it all last year I made my decision -- I MUST hunt Africa at least one time.

ILCAPO, the 35 Whelen is one of my favourites, dont know why it never became super popular in Africa as it works like a dream and has what I would call a Smackdown quality to it on all plains game I just love it!!!!! It would be a very good choice, .....just wanted to add that.

My best always.

I shot a Red Hartebeest in the Boshoff area in SA 13 years ago with a .223Rem pushing out 55gr PMP Copper Jackets/Solids. Upon hearing the shot the old bull turned his head to run to his right but his body collapsed under him and he expired as soon as he thumped the ground. The shot was an estimated 60 meters, a clearing in the bush with no obstruction, I examined the heart as I took him spot on in the centre of his shoulder. The heart looked like it 'split' down the centre but remained intact at the top, and the exit wound was double the size of the perfect .223 cal entry wound. The bullet could not have gone too far.

The Gemsbuck cow in my avatar I took this year in July in Olifantsfontein in SA. I used the PHs .375H&H in Win pre64 with 270grain Kynoch solids. The man I shot it for was adamant (spelling??) about using solids and lung shots to reduce meat damage and increase carcass weight (biltong shop owner in Northen Cape ,SA). The first shot at an estimated 80 meters in bushy terrain zipped straight through the posterior regions of both lungs hitting two ribs one on either side. She grunted and bellowed and she ran the 100meter dash! I found no blood spoor and predicted her movements downhill and away from the rest of the herd that fled uphill over a lot of rocks, luckily I found her but she never let up, the dominant bull 'circled' her once then gave me a disgruntled look and then ran in the direction of the rest of the heard. She stood fast and I gave her two more through the lungs but closer to the heart and she dropped. She fought to get back up from her haunches and I put my last bullet in her ear, I had no more bullets on me. In hindsight a softnose for that first round would have sufficed, trying to reduce a minimal amount of the meat damage that would occur at the ribcage/lung area by using such a high velocity calibre came at the expense of the animal and I won't do that again. Unless I'm hunting elephants in thick bush and going for headshots only, I will always use the softnose for the initial shot for a biltong hunt on any animal I take through the ribcage/lungs because the greater damage causes a cleaner dispatch and no real loss of meat...maybe damaged rib bones but who eats those anyway!

Shot placement and bullet type and weight are so important and I am still learning about all the theoretical data that supports these notions. For Kudu I maintain, nothing smaller than .270.

Jaco, I agree with you 100%, there is no such thing as overpowered only underpowered, I believe in the .375 just as much as you and I also prefer larger calibers. I've got a .303 sporterised (still its quite a fixer-upper) in the pipeline at the SAPS, when it comes through I want to use either 215 or 175 grain Rhino bullets on all game depending on the ranges that the terrain allows me. There is a .375H&H Herstal or one in Win Safari Express that I am eyeing in the gunshop. If I get the .375 I will switch to 123 or 150grain bullets for my .303 for smaller game. If I have these two rifles I will feel confident on any type of safari.

Keep well

ILCAPO:

Sandra Mas, female PH in SA, Hunters Dreams Safaris.

Elaine Coetzee, female PH in Namibia, CEC Safaris.

Although my .375 h&h is a part of my anatomy, when I specifically hunt Kudu where longer shots will be required, I use my .300 h&h loaded with 200gr handloads. I just feel more comfortable on longer (250+) shots with the .300..!

Thanks. Again, it's not that I'm looking for a female PH. Just wondered if there were any in what is pretty much a male-dominated activity. I like a gal who shoots! : )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.