Kudu Expectations Vs Realities

If you are going European and flat skins you’ll save a bundle and simplify your life having the work done in RSA. I’ve used Niko van Royen (sp?) in Limpopo and Colletts in Pretoria. If you shoulder mount the mount is cheaper in RSA but the shipping is higher. If you do european mounts, the African mounts are much better, on fantastic teal panels, cost is much less, and shipping is about the same as salted hides and horns.

If talking about the tape, then you want anything over 53" after drying, which means at least 54 inches on the hoof for Rowland Ward. Those are hard to come by. I saw lots of that the PH said were 48" range, but was holding out for RW size. I spent the first 2 1/2 days of a hunt chasing one down. One was was spotted and never could find him, we had the tracker out all night one night. It was just shear luck that I shot an 57 1/2. The PH want to keep looking and I kept tell them to head back for lunch that I was hungry, after about telling him 3 times over 30 minutes to head back we did, while driving back, spotted one in some brush less then 50 yards from the road. Looked him over for a few minutes and the PH said he is good and down he went.

IMG_0645.JPG

east cape kudu left 41.5 inches southern greater kudu right 52 inches .

Great questions Shootist . First photo is a 48" and second photo 53.5" both Cape Kudu. One should expect 44-48" on average and anything above 50 is exceptional . I think both have unique characteristics that make each one unique and I have seen several Grater Kudu on some of our concessions and I too after taking a very large Cape Kudu will not pay the price for a Greater Kudu in SA. So it boils down to a personal choice of what you are looking for as Cape Kudu are out there at 50" + but they are not called the " Grey Ghost" for nothing. We can accommodate your query as well if you would like us to put together something for you feel free to PM me .

IMG_0567.JPG
w8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnnyblues, that is a spectacular bull! Love the symmetry. Outstanding.
Thanks Scott, he was a good ole bull, chipped up a bit gave him some character. My first big game trophy in Africa.

The deeper the curls the more they use up that ruler.

Won’t even know the length of these till They arrive back from Zim!!! No one in camp had a tape measure. Way it should be.

“ A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls short of what the goal should be “ Fred Bear

Attachments

• 4_2.jpg
    4_2.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 166
Last edited by a moderator:
If you are set on the RSA, you might contact Phillip Bronkhorst http://www.pbsafaris.com/. I hunted with him in late June and early July of last year. We spent three-days looking for something north of 55" unsuccessfully. However, conditions were about as bad as they could be with howling cold winds. We hunted a huge property and saw at least a half-dozen bulls in the 50"-55" inch range. We saw one 55"+ but could not regain contact once bailing the cruiser. However, like most of South Africa, a big one comes at a premium price. Namibia is a different deal. Khomas is one of our sponsors. There are others. They have a flat fee for a kudu, and the PH will be working his butt off to find you the best he can. https://www.khomas-highland-hunting.com/index.php/african-hunter.html I took mine with Nick Nolte https://nicknoltehunting.com/ and Jamy Traut https://jamyhunts.com/. Both of them will also provide an incredible experience and a chance of a great kudu at a still reasonable price.
228746-8b54e7c9a4b4d99a5cda0d8a05210d18.jpg

Length doesn't tell it all, a great shape turning out at the top and not overly wide or narrow will look better than many that are a few inches longer! Don't get overly hung up on the tape!

Kudu.....

One of if not the most iconic PG animal in Africa.

Difficult to judge in the field.

When considering expectations vs reality that is exactly where you need to start...

More often than not the shape and the look of the horns are more important to the hunter than the measurement not excluding the experience of the hunt...

Meaning a well shaped 50 incher can look a lot better than a deep curled 54 or 56 incher.

I have hunted a 1 and a half curl 56 incher that looks weird compared to a two and a bit curl 50 incher with the typical shape...

When you get into the 56 inch plus class they all tend to have good shape mass and deep curls.

In the end it is about the hunt, the shape you like and the actual tape measurement should be the last consideration...hunt this way and the inches will automatically do their part.

Old kudu bulls with decent mass and shape present a lot better than younger bulls with no mass and non typical shape even if they have more inches..

If talking about the tape, then you want anything over 53" after drying, which means at least 54 inches on the hoof for Rowland Ward. Those are hard to come by. I saw lots of that the PH said were 48" range, but was holding out for RW size. I spent the first 2 1/2 days of a hunt chasing one down. One was was spotted and never could find him, we had the tracker out all night one night. It was just shear luck that I shot an 57 1/2. The PH want to keep looking and I kept tell them to head back for lunch that I was hungry, after about telling him 3 times over 30 minutes to head back we did, while driving back, spotted one in some brush less then 50 yards from the road. Looked him over for a few minutes and the PH said he is good and down he went.

I beg to differ...

a 54 inch Kudu on the hoof will never make the 53 7/8" minimum after the drying period..

57 1/2 inch is a great kudu..

To sum it up :) Generally speaking- North SA/Zim and Namabia bulls are bigger in body and length than the EC. Due to the rarity and demand, bulls over 55" are fetching prices $3k and up in the Limpopo (I would argue the kudu capital of the world). EC bulls are more plentiful and have more color to their capes. All AH sponsors will have what you are looking for- no matter what that is :D I think that's about it

46" Limpopo- I wasnt going home without one on my first trip
kuduLDP.jpg

59" Limpopo on my 3rd trip
32 kudu kill.jpg

To sum it up :) Generally speaking- North SA/Zim and Namabia bulls are bigger in body and length than the EC. Due to the rarity and demand, bulls over 55" are fetching prices $3k and up in the Limpopo (I would argue the kudu capital of the world). EC bulls are more plentiful and have more color to their capes. All AH sponsors will have what you are looking for- no matter what that is :D I think that's about it

46" Limpopo- I wasnt going home without one on my first trip
View attachment 266165

59" Limpopo on my 3rd trip
View attachment 266166
Extremely nice bull (and an ancient one). Though I would not call the Limpopo the Kudu capital of the world. Central Namibia would have my vote - by a lot.

I didn’t read every post in the thread so forgive me if I’m repeating something already said.

Ask yourself this and be honest, will anyone EVER walk in your trophy room and know the difference between a 48” kudu and a 58” kudu?? My suggestion is to tell your outfitter and PH that a big kudu would mean a lot. Then go enjoy yourself and take what the bush offers.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy yourself, take pictures, and get ready to go back. It’s addictive.

Best,
BD

The kudu in my avatar is 58 inches but I've seen bulls that looked better that were 50-55 with better shape.

I think there is enjoyable kudu hunting across Southern Africa. I have hunted them many times.....as I have gotten older the inches have meant less to me than the memories and how the hunt was carried out. I passed on 51 to 52 inch kudu in the East Cape just because we drove up on him in the truck and he was caught out in the open, which was rare to be honest. I could have killed him easily but it didn't seem like I earned him.

There are some terrific looking kudu taken in the East Cape. They won't go over 53 inches but who cares. At the same time there are bigger kudu in Namibia and the Limpopo Province to say the least. Enjoy the journey, the adventure and the memories.

I know if I see a nice one in Zimbabwe, I will be taking one home.

I know if I see a nice one in Zimbabwe, I will be taking one home.
Many areas in Zim area producing great kudu, hope you get a crack at one. Where will you be hunting?

Some really good bulls coming from Botswana too! Tholo seems to be one of the top producers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg