Krieghoff Classic - system milling

vladi

New member
Joined
Jan 27, 2017
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
Croatia
Website
www.farhunt.co.uk
Member of
Croatian Hunting Association
Hunted
Namibia, Croatia, England, Spain, Portugal, Finland, Canada, Austria, Slovenia, Hungary
Hi guys.
I came into possession of a Krieghoff Classic "project rifle" in 8x75RS calibre.
The rifle has installed sideplates, but not in the way it is done in the factory, but the rifle head is milled to fit the plates. I took the rifle to my gunsmith and he assures me that this is not a significant issue for rifle safety. On the one hand, I'm not worried because when I look at some much larger calibre rifles with real sidelocks, which have literally a hollow sidewall (example picture 3), I think that this situation of mine can't be too much of a problem. But on the other hand, the fact is that the rifle is weakened so it bothers me a bit. I was thinking of sending an inquiry to Krieghoff, but clearly, they would say it was inadmissible etc, if not for gunsmith reasons, then for legal reasons.
Any gunsmiths here? Clearly, I don’t expect anyone to say this is better than the original, but I’m hoping for some realistic discussion. Thank you.

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-15 at 11.26.32 (1).jpeg
260077533_435569914843646_8775397783052259808_n.png
sidelock-18-980x551.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Vladi, I am not a gunsmith, but I am an engineer. There is so little wood removed there that it will not make any significant reduction in strength. In fact the side plates add a little reinforcing. Especially in that mild calibre I wouldn't worry at all. It looks to be quite a nice job by the way, maybe get a nice game scene lazer engraved to set it off?
 
Thanks Kevin for the encouraging words. Yes, my plan is to finish that rifle by the end of the year. I had already arranged a hand engraving in Suhl, Germany, but before such an investment, I was a little bothered by this "milling problem".
 
Hi Vladi, I am not a gunsmith, but I am an engineer. There is so little wood removed there that it will not make any significant reduction in strength. In fact the side plates add a little reinforcing. Especially in that mild calibre I wouldn't worry at all. It looks to be quite a nice job by the way, maybe get a nice game scene lazer engraved to set it off?
Just so there is no confusion - I'm not worried about the milled wooden part, but the milled metal part of the rifle head :X3:
 
That small amount of milling should be no problems, the sideplates will add some strength back into the system. On a small caliber like the 8x57 things should be no problem. Might worry if it was a 500-600NE.
 
To my eyes it looks like most of the strength in the action has been milled away and I wouldn't trust it. Remember the breechface is connected to the action pivot and the locking mechanism via the action walls. The action in picture 3 still has much of the raised reinforced section intact. In your action that is mostly missing. ps The screw on sideplates don't add any significant mechanical strength to the action and won't stop stretching or flexing, they are largely decorative.

It shouldn't need saying, but getting internet adivice on a critical safety/engineering issue isn't the optimal solution. I'd seriously go to either Krieghoff or at least an experienced double rifle smith and get an expert opinion, even if they tell you something you don't want to hear.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,414
Messages
1,575,513
Members
170,343
Latest member
Caren18C50
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top