Knife sharpener

jeff

AH legend
Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
2,614
Reaction score
2,286
Location
Salmon Idaho
Media
48
Hunting reports
Africa
23
USA/Canada
1
Member of
sci P&Y
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
Does anyone have a recommendation for a commercial knife sharpener for my taxidermy shop or other sharpeners that get good results?
 
I have a Work Sharp that works wonders. Once you have the bevel on the edge you just use the extreme fine grit belt to finish it off.

I have a friend who is a taxidermist and all he uses is small kitchen knifes and a sharpening steel.
 
I have had a Lansky system for years and it works well. Recently, I got a Work Sharp Ken Onion model and it works extremely well. I doubt I'll use the Lansky anymore. Base on some comments I read on AH, I also got the blade grinding attachment for the Work Sharp, but have yet to use it.

You can look at this website and see a little of everything used for sharpening:
 
I use KME. You can change the angle on it.
 
I have a WickedEdge system. With a bit of practice, you can turn a butter knife into a razor blade. I'm sure there are faster and cheaper systems, but it works very well.
 
Last edited:
Wicked Edge is another one worth a look.
 
I have a WickedEdge system. If a bit of practice, you can turn a butter knife into a razor blade. I'm sure there are faster and cheaper systems, but it works very well.

Beat me to it LOL
 
I was going to suggest ask @Von Gruff I’ve seen his used on you tube.

I think he sells them too,

My thoughts are they are they look quite rigid and durable for many years of work and you can use your preferred stone type.

That said I sharpen free hand and get acceptable results but there are a few others here who are advocating the various electric sharpeners .

I think professionals using electric knife sharpeners are doing it for speed. Butchers for example.

No doubt getting and consistent angle is better and the scary sharp will do that with a variety of standard sized stones. That leaves it open to get Arkansas stones, water stone, Japanese stones. If you require something more than a double sided Carborundum.

Practice helps and lighten up on the finishing strokes no matter what your preference
 
I always used to sharpen my knifes on a wet or oiled stone and then finish them off on a leather belt. When I was done you could shave with the edge.

Then I saw a demonstration of the Work Sharp on a infomercial on TV late at night. I figured right then that I needed one. But before I purchased one I was thinking of getting a belt grinder and using very fine grit belts to sharpen knifes, the Work Sharp makes it so much easier.
 
I have a Work Sharp and also use a butcher steel rod. Always strop edges with leather straps with Herb's Yellowstone honing and stropping compound on leather
 
I have great results with the Ken Onion Work Sharp as well. Easy to use, and you can adjust angles with the turn of a dial.
 
Thank you for all your responses, I will give the Ken Onion work sharp a try. I am looking for something that's quick and won't take much time and I can get back to skinning and fleshing in the shop.
 
When you order it get a box of their purple belts, I believe that is the finest grit, you will go through a few of them and it is nice to have them on hand.
 
Lansky works well on small knives but isn't much fun on a kitchen knife.

Lately I've been experimenting with using my son's belt sander and I have to say it is quick and produces a nice edge. Seems like many if not most knife makers use a belt to make the edge in the first place.
 
Lansky works well on small knives but isn't much fun on a kitchen knife.

Lately I've been experimenting with using my son's belt sander and I have to say it is quick and produces a nice edge. Seems like many if not most knife makers use a belt to make the edge in the first place.
That's the idea behind the Work Sharp
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,307
Messages
1,572,362
Members
169,541
Latest member
ithunmersa1975
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top