www.stockysstocks.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Benefactor NRA, African Safari Club, SCI Life Member, SCI South Florida, NSSF
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique
I've been thinking about a new African .375 H&H for buffalo & lion hunting, so I walk into my local Gander Mountain last weekend and decide to ask if they have any .375's on the rack. He hunts around for a couple minutes, not thinking they do, when the fellow finds this baby, a new Kimber Caprivi. Being a big fan of Kimber .45 Autos I's more than interested.

I have to say it was love at first sight, closing my eyes and shouldering the weapon put the front directly in the V notch, supposedly regulated at 50 yards, the other two leafs are folders left in the green. Points like a shotgun. You know, XX walnut, raised European cheekrest, hand-cut wrapped checkering, triple folding leaf rear and hooded front, barrel band, 4 in-the-box, all the requisites on a DG rifle. $2600

Has anyone checked these new Kimbers out? What do you guys think?

I took this one home.

DSCF0091.jpgDSCF0092.jpgDSCF0093.jpgDSCF0094.jpgDSCF0095.jpgDSCF0090.jpg

it looks very nice. obviously didnt take you long to make your mind up :D its great when you pick up a rifle/shotgun and it feels perfect, always makes sense to take it home when that happens :beer:

I guess if I ignore the price, it's a real beauty!!! I'm sure it will shoot great and function without problems...it's a gem. :daydreaming:

Well you paid about twice what you'd need to for a M70 Safari Express, but you've got a very nice stock in comparison and the red pad is always nice. If it shoots well and I doubt that it wouldn't, it's a keeper!

I'm going with spike.t on this one, since you guys are quoting Winchester prices I feel like I have to make my case ...

There's several 70's in my safe ranging from pre-war to modern (including an unfired .264 Featherweight) and I'd venture to say the Caprivi is a solid step up, especially in light of the fact that the comparable Dakota (another 70 clone) is literally twice the money. Don't get me wrong, I love Winchester 70's, except when I get a bad one, which I have, but that's another story and was just before they went broke so that may have had something to do with it. I have yet to own an FN-made unit but they do look like a solid value from what I've seen at SHOT.

The Caprivi is 'glass/pillar bedded (I don't call that soft stuff New Haven used in their stocks "bedding" nor do they use pillars in wood stocks) the receiver came torqued into the stock more solidly because of this (I believe Win factory torque is about 25 in/lbs, they cannot go any heavier because there are no pillars) and the trigger breaks at a very clean 3.0 lbs so I don't have monkey with any of this to set it up right. Even with the new triggers you're looking at 4.5-5 lbs on a factory 70 these days from the ones I put a gauge on or read reviews about.

The cheekrest is reminiscent of the 1936-54 P64 Supergrade European style, which adds interest in my book, balances right at the front receiver screw, like it should, and the wood has more contrast than most (there's a blond area on the RH lower butt, in the flash glare), there's no folding leafs on the Winchester, a nice touch.

The Kimber mounts are factory-standard with 8-40 screws, not the little #6's that almost every other factory rifle specs, a nice strength advantage with safari-class rifles. How many people are going to start drilling and tapping their new 70 for bigger screws? It's a lesson our Marine snipers learned long ago, as the M24 (and I believe the M40) is standard with the bigger bolts.

How many rounds does a new 70 .375 hold in the box? I cannot find it listed anywhere, but on my M70 SG .375 four is possible only when over compressing the spring, doable but not advisable. Four go right into the Kimber, one in the pipe makes five. Hey, you don't need it until you need it, then nothing less will do.

Frankly, I've shot so many 70's over the years I wanted something similar but better. I was actually about t-h-i-s far from shipping that Featherweight off (heresy, I know, tearing apart an unfired P64 .264) to someone like my friend Roger M. Green and waiting two years (if he'd even build me another custom now that he retired) ordering a Dakota and hoping I like it, taking another trip to Nebraska, or miraculously have one fall out of the sky like this one did. The only .375 in the store, much less, and it saved me from explaining why I tore apart my last virgin P64 to the guys at the range.

In my wife's estimation I saved a couple grand. She says it was meant to be. (We gun nuts are really funny about our rifles, aren't we?!) Actually, I was very surprised when I stumbled across it, I don't get too excited over factory rifles any more, much less for dangerous game.

As an instinctive shotgun shooter in the field and on clays, this unit is right there with a favorite scattergun when I throw it up. That's the main reason I fell in love. I'm just saying, if you are scoping out a new African, check it out. They come in .416 Rem and .458 Lott also.

You make a lot of great points, it's definitely a custom gun. A lot of nice features. Heck, it's a hell of lot cheaper than most double rifles. Just don't make this rifle a "safe queen".

Hope you didn't take my post as criticizing, it wasn't meant to be. As I said you have a much nicer stock than the M70 I have. My only complaint with mine is in fact the stock in that it's a little fat in the forearm. Mine isn't bedded either, but from an accuracy point of view, it doesn't need it.

I'd say you got what you paid for, a step up from an out of the box M70 and there'd be few flies on it in comparison to the much more expensive Dakota. Now go shoot and enjoy it, it's a beautiful rifle!

BTW, the Safari Express only holds 3 in the box. Pretty easy to make a total of 4 with one in the chamber, but you won't get 5. A relatively inexpensive replacement box in the magazine however will get you 4 in the chamber.

Great Looks ,,Beautiful Wood,,Fits you like a Glove ,,,Enjoy

Very nice...and $2,600 is an excellent deal for that gun new. It's usually around $3,100. Good luck with it.

God willing, it'll be my go to DG rifle. Have to get mounts from Kimber before I shoot it, ordered them in stock today.

I think it's begging for a 1-6 VX6 Leupold.

If I can change my permits and it shoots, it'll be christened on a buffalo hunt this September in Zim.

It is a great looking rifle. I picked one up a year or so ago and it felt good like you are describing. Well balanced. Are you putting a scope on it? If so what kind and size? Hope you have a lot of great hunts with it.

God willing, it'll be my go to DG rifle. Have to get mounts from Kimber before I shoot it, ordered them in stock today.

I think it's begging for a 1-6 VX6 Leupold.

If I can change my permits and it shoots, it'll be christened on a buffalo hunt this September in Zim.

I absolutely love your scope choice and I'm super happy you are going to hunt with it. Beautiful guns need to be used multiple times!

It is a great looking rifle. I picked one up a year or so ago and it felt good like you are describing. Well balanced. Are you putting a scope on it? If so what kind and size? Hope you have a lot of great hunts with it.

WOW......you answered my question before I asked it. Pretty impressive!. The #10 post wasn't showing when I asked the above. Gremlins in my computer?

The scope choice sounds great. Where will you be hunting buff in Zim?

Beautiful rifle. I have had a look at one before, very well made.

Beautiful Rifle Congrats! And I'll be waiting for that hunting report.

Great looking gun! I'm a huge fan of Kimber 1911's myself (I use a ultra as my CC) and I am looking at making an investment towards this gun as well. I've been going back and forth between this and a "standard" CZ but when I look at everyting the Caprivi comes with standard I think its worth not having to spend the time/money on the CZ to turn a good rifle into a great one. I look forward to hearing how it performs in the field!

Kimber Caprivi.

..there's something else that will make this rifle special..the 'Caprivi' no longer exists. The name of that part of Namibia formerly known as the Caprivi Strip has been changed by the powers that be. It will now be known as the Zambesi Strip..

..there's something else that will make this rifle special..the 'Caprivi' no longer exists. The name of that part of Namibia formerly known as the Caprivi Strip has been changed by the powers that be. It will now be known as the Zambesi Strip..

thats original of them!! :reyes: sneaking suspicion it will be still called the caprivi by most.......

I own two Winch 70 SE , tle last is one year old (.375 H&H). I think it's not a good idea to compare this Kimber and the Winch.
The Winch is clearly designed as a "tool" and it's a very, very good tool !
This Kimber is an upper grade, it could be called "custom shop" out of the box !!
A scope ? According to the capacities of th .375H&H look at a 1.5-9 x XX. With this caliber you can shot from 50yds to 200 yds without modified the aiming.
Take care to the eye relief ...
Congratulation !:clapping:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg