Kamchatka Moose Hunt - 2022

To give an appreciation of the distance. the flight from Moscow to Petropavlovsk is longer than the flight from JFK to Moscow.
You are flying the wrong way around the world ;)

Austin is 6 timezones away from Petropavlovsk - if you travel in the opposite direction of the route you describe.

I do not doubt the route you describe is indeed the only route available - it sounds very "Russian".

Austin is 6 timezones away from Petropavlovsk - if you travel in the opposite direction of the route you describe.

I do not doubt the route you describe is indeed the only route available - it sounds very "Russian".
From the west coast we are hoping to fly via Seoul S. Korea or Japan. It’s real early and we’re hopeful that alternative routes open for us for November. It’s a long haul from San Francisco to New York to Moscow to Kamchatka!

That is an extraordinarily astute observation. :P Smart Ass: Unfortunately, during late April, there is no Pacific alternative. If a route should become available, one should make sure checking a rifle through somewhere other than Moscow at that time is possible.

This is the current route map for Petropavlovsk.

Last edited:
From the west coast we are hoping to fly via Seoul S. Korea or Japan. It’s real early and we’re hopeful that alternative routes open for us for November. It’s a long haul from San Francisco to New York to Moscow to Kamchatka!
Good luck.

The question is probably not only (and maybe not so much) to the Russians. The consulate on the West Coast is closed at the initiative of the United States, and in general all contacts are cut off.
There are plans to restore the Anchorage-Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky line in the summer of the 22nd year, if nothing happens https://airrussia.us/

Good luck.

Nothing worth looking at right now; especially for November...

There's a reason those Alaska hunts costs more. Way less travel, way less hassle but hey I get it. I considered a Kamchatka bear hunt with a buddy about 5 yrs ago, until I figured out the outfitter was a giant crook.

There's a reason those Alaska hunts costs more. Way less travel, way less hassle but hey I get it. I considered a Kamchatka bear hunt with a buddy about 5 yrs ago, until I figured out the outfitter was a giant crook.
You can book one (or anywhere else in Europe or Asia) with great confidence through Bob Kern and the Hunting Consortium. https://huntingconsortium.com/

The jury is still out with respect to ProfiHunt though they have a solid reputation. http://profihunt.com/en/

Though an honest competent outfitter doesn't make it any closer.

l I figured out the outfitter was a giant crook.
Of course, you need to make sure that the outfitter is reliable. But I don't think that scammers go to the exhibition in the USA.

Unfortunately, it is risky to make an advance payment for a safari in Russia now. Alas. It is not a fact that it will be possible to get a visa, the consulate in New York has already been left almost without staff - new diplomats are not given visas. "For the first time, only five people work at the Consulate General of Russia in New York, in January the number of employees decreased by more than half. This was announced by Russian Consul General Sergei Ovsyannikov."

But, but...

I would guess Russia hunts are off with the current state of affairs.
Yeah probably and I just got a WhatsApp text a few days ago from ProfiHunt about a November moose hunt!

Well, hunting moose in this area of Russia was never a dream of mine or my hunting partner. It was just a viable option. The deposits were not only small, but “small potatoes” considering what the people of Ukraine are going through. Our hearts go out to them. We haven’t reached out to the outfitter yet. I’ll send an email to his stateside booking agent this coming week to determine their position.

I don’t want to make this a political discussion or debate.

We are definitely looking forward to a moose hunt sometime in the nearer future, whether it is in Kamchatka or Alaska. Time will tell…

You may have to kiss that deposit goodbye. If you are able to go it will be several years now. Your outfitter should provide you with all the info you will need. Yes, most I’ve heard of go all the way around the world via Moscow to get there. That is one reason I’ve not done it. Seems dumb that there is not another way.

Our deposits were $1,000. We didn’t want to over commit due to the uncertainty in Russia! Again, small potatoes considering. If these guys are honorable, and I suspect they are, we will have something worked out. Of course, I’ve been on other guided trips booked with outfitters where I didn’t fill a tag because I didn’t see what I wanted and had plenty of venison in the freezer… I do feel for others who have booked with other outfitters, with larger deposits, that may have different circumstances. The worst case being the outfitter goes out of business

One of the reps is a guy I know from Reno, I’ll check in with him next week.

as far as routes go…
I know others who have gone from San Francisco to Seoul Korean to Kamchatka. I’ve also looked into a flight through Japan.

This outfit also books something like 170 trout fishermen throughout the summer. So, once it all shakes out, we’ll know where we stand.

I’m looking into two other hunts in place of this moose hunt - beside South Africa and Canada this year… Plus a week fishing in PV.

Thanks to everyone who contributed positively to this thread, it was helpful!

-Roger

Our deposits were $1,000. We didn’t want to over commit due to the uncertainty in Russia! Again, small potatoes considering. If these guys are honorable, and I suspect they are, we will have something worked out. Of course, I’ve been on other guided trips booked with outfitters where I didn’t fill a tag because I didn’t see what I wanted and had plenty of venison in the freezer… I do feel for others who have booked with other outfitters, with larger deposits, that may have different circumstances. The worst case being the outfitter goes out of business

One of the reps is a guy I know from Reno, I’ll check in with him next week.

as far as routes go…
I know others who have gone from San Francisco to Seoul Korean to Kamchatka. I’ve also looked into a flight through Japan.

This outfit also books something like 170 trout fishermen throughout the summer. So, once it all shakes out, we’ll know where we stand.

I’m looking into two other hunts in place of this moose hunt - beside South Africa and Canada this year… Plus a week fishing in PV.

Thanks to everyone who contributed positively to this thread, it was helpful!

-Roger
There are no flights from Seoul or Tokyo to Petropavlosk whatever someone said they did in the past. You must go through Moscow. Perhaps that will change in the future.

Obviously, anyone going this year is likely out of their minds. Profihunt has rescheduled my bear hunt to next year. Three guys I know are still booked for the end of next month. Could be sporting.

Obviously, anyone going this year is likely out of their minds. Profihunt has rescheduled my bear hunt to next year. Three guys I know are still booked for the end of next month. Could be sporting.

Maybe they will be hunting a different kind of bear. ;)

1645978583919.png

I have/had a trip planned to hunt capercaillie, black grouse and ducks next spring north of St. Petersburg. Hopefully things settle down. I sent my deposit a while ago. I haven’t reached out to their USA booking agent yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg