Just how much does a concession cost?

IdahoMo

AH senior member
Reaction score
I find the logistics of the safari world fascinating. From my limited observations, the "make a plan" attitude of safari outfitters, and what they bring back to local communities is impressive. One piece that I've been curious of late is, what is the cost to get the rights to hunt a piece of property for a certain amount of time? I'm sure there are so many factors. Country, existing infrastructure, accessibility, time awarded, species available, location to other prominent features, etc. In my cursory look in the internet I've even seen it advertised on fb for concession auctions with Zimbabwe PWMA were holding an auction, but no results were posted. I think of these types of auctions are primarily outside of South Africa, but I'm sure there's exceptions.

So, Africa Hunting folks, what do you know?

I find the logistics of the safari world fascinating. From my limited observations, the "make a plan" attitude of safari outfitters, and what they bring back to local communities is impressive. One piece that I've been curious of late is, what is the cost to get the rights to hunt a piece of property for a certain amount of time? I'm sure there are so many factors. Country, existing infrastructure, accessibility, time awarded, species available, location to other prominent features, etc. In my cursory look in the internet I've even seen it advertised on fb for concession auctions with Zimbabwe PWMA were holding an auction, but no results were posted. I think of these types of auctions are primarily outside of South Africa, but I'm sure there's exceptions.

So, Africa Hunting folks, what do you know?
Interesting thought.
Contact JERRY NOBLIN Jr , JD OUTFITTERS IN OAKLAHOMA . HE MAY BE ABLE TO SHINE SOME LIGHT IN TO IT. He seem to be operating a successful enterprise as KUTCH SAFARIES in Africa.
Krish

I really have no idea what a concession costs. However, the we will make a plan attitude is much more common in South Africa and Namibia because of private land. Most outfitters there don’t lease the land, they pay per use and trophy, often sharing with other outfitters who have the same agreements. It’s more about trust and working relationship with landowner than a formal lease. In concession areas where outfitters lease the rights or buy a portion of quota up front, the plan is much more established from the start. You might have an option to switch to another camp owned by the outfitter but it’s not as flexible as going to a different property each day. I’d think most outfitter would not want to share what they pay for a concession because many won’t understand the risk they take in bidding compared to prices charged.

Interesting thought.
Contact JERRY NOBLIN Jr , JD OUTFITTERS IN OAKLAHOMA . HE MAY BE ABLE TO SHINE SOME LIGHT IN TO IT. He seem to be operating a successful enterprise as KUTCH SAFARIES in Africa.
Krish

Pretty sure Koos (Can't remember last name) owns Kuche Safaries in Limpopo area of RSA. Jerry has hunted with him a number of times.

Most of RSA is private land, not a concession in the typical sense of the word.

Tanzania as an example usually has some concessions that get no bids. Other concessions get bids for a few hundred thousand dollars.

When you consider the season starts on July1 and an outfitter may have to be out of the field by mid November due to rains, the fixed cost per client starts getting pretty high.

Yea I can understanding not wanting to broadcast what specific outfitters paid, I’m just interested in more of a general range.

Tanzania as an example usually has some concessions that get no bids. Other concessions get bids for a few hundred thousand dollars.

When you consider the season starts on July1 and an outfitter may have to be out of the field by mid November due to rains, the fixed cost per client starts getting pretty high.
Interesting point about abandoned/no bid concessions. I hunted Dande East in Zimbabwe in 2021. CMS was appointed to run it once it was abandoned in something like 2010.

Yea, I thought that was really interesting too. That’s too bad when people can’t make it worth the risk to bid on a place. Specifically since that management tends to improve the land for wildlife.

Interesting point about abandoned/no bid concessions. I hunted Dande East in Zimbabwe in 2021. CMS was appointed to run it once it was abandoned in something like 2010.
CMS has done a good job with Dande.

Forgot to mention but Tanzania has had a history of people bidding on concessions and failing to pay, thus leaving concessions abandoned for a period of time. If there are no anti poaching patrols, it doesn't take long for the concession to suffer.

Also, when an outfitter loses a concession in a bid there is a tendency for the concession to get shot out pretty hard the last season of the contract. Sometimes hunting with an outfitter the first year they have a new concession might be challenging.

All, great info. Thanks everyone.

So are the trophy fees for a given species a govt. charge on top of the concession fees?

So are the trophy fees for a given species a govt. charge on top of the concession fees?
Depends. Some areas the quota must be bought up front. Some community areas are pay as you go. Some community areas have a required quota to buy up front then pay as go after that. There are a lot of arrangements. Generally there is a lot less financial risk to outfitter on private land.

Asking how much a concession costs is like asking “how much does a car cost”.

@Tokoloshe Safaris. Yes, I appreciate the vagueness of my question. With your analogy in mind, what do you consider a luxury vs middle of the road concession to have in terms of resources and cost?

I can only speak about concessions in Zimbabwe.

These are some of the types.
Private Land
National Parks
Forestry
CAMPFIRE

Private land concessions-a very straight forward agreement between to parties.

National Parks and Forestry will usually have specified requirements in addition to yearly lease fees. Those requirement may cost more than the yearly fees.

Lastly CAMPFIRE, These concession have first the yearly fees. Secondly community involvement. The community involvement may cost you many times more than your lease fees. You can expect your costs to go up yearly. In many cases you will have to try and keep a greedy chief happy.

Each type will retain ownership of the meat from the trophies. Trophy fees to the concession holder are set by the agency that controls the leasean example. We hold a CAMPFIRE lease we are paying almost twice as much as a nearby concession holder. The reason is not because we have better elephant, it is because our council just charges more which makes it difficult to compete.

What you bid at auction is just the start of costs. Another thought is National Parks controls your quota numbers if they are reduced can be devastating to a concession holder.

A last thought at auction a legitimate operator with all of the proper documents which are numerous will make a reasonable bid, but by a politically connected person bids ten times what the legit operator bids, but he will never pay for his lease or community obligations.

What is my total yearly cost, I do not want to think about it.

This is a question with no definitive answer.

In almost African country, obtaining a concession from the government, could depend on a multitude of things...

1. Your history in meeting your obligations in prior concessions
2. How much you bid
3. How good the previous owner was
4. Your repour with the feds
5. Your repour with the local tribal leaders
6. Your repour with the game scouts
7. Your repour with the regional game officials
8. Your knowledge of who's palms to grease....
9. What you agree to do to help the local tribes...

Third world, semi-communist, semi-corrupt regimes, is not where I would place my bets until I knew a WHOLE LOT about absolutely everything there is to know about the concession.

In Zambia you pay a yearly concession fee.
plus trophy fees.
plus chief and community cmmmitment
Plus a host of other fees.

concession fees depend on the area and it’s status.
Trophy fees for a years worth of quota are paid up front to the government.

I operate mostly in south Africa, its mostly private land but there are few game reserves that offer hunting quota for culling and trophy hunting, most of these are offered on auction or tender. Prices vary mostly by number and species and area!

on private land outfitter will hunt from pricelist set by the land owner normally there will be some kind of a day fee also depending on what gear and vehicles and staff the outfitter provides and what the land owner provided, I believe there are also similar deals going on between concession holders and other outfitters price on this would be determent by species and days also!

I recently got wind of a concession in Mozambique that became available and the cost was R5 mil +_ $260000

I bet the good areas in Botswana and Zambia and Tanzania sell for more especially with big 5 quota

one thing I can say its risky business all of it......

Yes

Where I hunted in Zambia, an anti-hunting photo group were prepared to pay a block fee of $365,000 per year plus community pledge of $200,000 per year then antipoaching $100,000 and $150,000 for the quota in their proposal in the last illegal tender. Luckily, the High Court just ruled that the original tender is to be followed instead. The hunting safari company had bid less in the original tender than the anti-hunters in the illegal tender but still very expensive.

When I questioned the photo company’s ability to make a profit on that much money, I was told they didn’t care about profit but just wanted to get the area and stop the hunting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EileenMcCo

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron