Just how big are Cape Buffalo's

JOODOWD

Reaction score
I have never been to Africa but I am trying to get there. I am interested in a size comparison of between buffs and something in North America. Are they similar to Brahman bulls, elk at the shoulder, full size pickup....? Thanks

JOODOWD... Imagine one ton of muscle and bone in the shape of a Spanish Bull, but meaner and with a heavier head and set of horns that have big solid bosses. The Bison I suppose would be a good comparison in terms of size/bulk, and some similarities in behaviour and character, but the Cape Buffalo is wilder and much more aggressive. Unfortunately I do not have bison photos, but please visit my website for a wide collection of buffalo photos. In terms of vehicle comparison, let me just say that i know from a previous charge by a bull that it can lift a Land Cruiser Pick-Up from the side onto two wheels - did not tip-over, but close.

Here is in comparison Cape Buffalo & Bison:

• Male Cape Buffalo (Syncerus caffer) are large, up to 5.6 ft (1.7m) tall at the shoulder, 11.1 ft (3.4 m) in length and can weigh up to 1,984 lbs (900 kg).

• Male Bison (Bison bison) are large, up to 6.5 ft (2m) tall at the shoulder, 11.5 ft (3.5m) in length and can weigh up to 2,200lbs (998 kg).

Yes................and bison come in two flavors. Plains bison and wood bison. The wood bison are taller and heavier than the plains bison, outweighing them by several hundred pounds. They can be very unpredictable and they are the largest land mammal in North America.

Bison, when hunted free range in the wild, can be a very challenging hunt and they will charge.....even when not wounded. Just a couple years ago a native hunter in the Northwest Territories was killed by a bull and in Yellowstone bison tune up more tourists than the bears. Wood bison can be hunted free range in the wild in the Northwest Territories and the Yukon, as well as northern Alberta. Plains bison can be hunted free range in northeastern British Columbia, Alaska and a few places south of the 49th......although a few of the 'free range' hunts in the lower 48 are not really too exciting. The Utah hunt in the henry Mtns. is a good one.

I have hunted both.......... so far the only one I have been charged by was a bison. On the other hand an old friend of mine was killed in Tanzania by a buff a few years back.

When you are chasing them on foot with only a camera in your hand because your insane PH finds it fun they are really big.:eek:

Herd.jpg

Attachments

• buffalo-herd.jpg
    buffalo-herd.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 334
Most Cape Buffalo Bulls weigh about 1600 pounds in good flesh, with a few going perhaps 1900 pounds...The Bison is much larger, but his disposition is far less fierce than a cape buffalo. Actually the Bison can be every bit as hard to kill, and I suspect this has more to do with size than any other factor.

Reactions: RTG
I have killed two bison -- one with two 130-grain handloads from a .270; the other with a 500-grain lead bullet from an original 45-caliber muzzleloading caplock rifle that Alex Henry's shop built in the mid-1800s. Both went down within a few feet without a problem.

Not so with the only Cape buffalo I've ever shot. It took seven 500-grain solids from my .458 over perhaps a period of 45 minutes and a mile of tracking before we (the PH also fired when the bufallo turned toward us) finally killed it.

Bill Quimby

The cape buffalo does take a lot of beating sometimes and the one extreme experience i had was when it took eleven shots from a .375 and two of my .470 NE to finally put one down. Once that adrenalin kicks in, it is as if they do not feel the shots!

Well I am off to guide wood bison hunts in a week. Will let you know how the shooting goes.

I have been charged, full bore, by a big bison bull....not wounded. Never yet from a cape buffalo....but then I always have stuck a 500 grain where it counted and that was that.

I do not hunt farm bison....these are the real deal. Wild bison. The bulls are grumpy.

I have seen Bison take a lot of killing, one took 5 good hits with a 300 WBY and went at least 5 miles to die..My grandson shot one bull twice in the lungs with a 50 Beowolf and it made two miles. I have seen one cape buffalo take 13 good hits with a 500 N.E. and another tatke 9 with a .470 and a 500 and I have both of those hunts on film..

What makes animals hard to kill is mass, size in other words..What makes a Cape Buffalo meaner is being chased by Lions all night and hunted by man all day, they stress...Bison can be every bit as agressive but very seldom do they charge, but when they do they are a sight to behold..I think the same applies to the Water Buff of Australia, they are fairl docile but when the anger they are damn hard to stop, as they are the largest of the three.

All animals will fight under the right circumstances, Sable, Gemsbok, and bushbuck can be dangerous..A Rhino is always dangerous and so is a Hippo or Elephant..I have no clue which one is the worst, but the Lion puts me on edge more than any other animal. I have been a part of one lion charge and it was very impressive to say the least.

Circumstance determine which one is the baddest kid on the block.

Reactions: RTG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinfredFin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!