Judging Warthog

Here is the one u got last September I don't have it back yet but got a picture from the taxidermist.
He measured 12.5 inches I thought it would be bigger.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Very nice trophy with simmetrical tusks.

Andy, beautiful trophy!!!!!

Thank you. I was pretty happy when I got to him. New he had a decent set of fangs when I shot but better than I hoped for.

These are the two my 14 year old twins got in Limpopo last month hunting with Africa Motsomi Hunting Adventures.
IMG_0483.JPG

IMG_0578.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Love to hunt Warties ;) Have shot many and every safari without a pig or 5 is a bad one :) Have shot them With rifle and bow and they can be tuff and wery easy to kill it Depends on the shot plasment and if stressed or not I have been attacked by warthogs during hunting and searching for wounded ones .I love eating them too.My biggest is 14,3

152.jpg
154.jpg
246.jpg
151.jpg
PA030358.JPG

Hey together
How would you judge my warthog? It doesn’t have long teeth but in my opinion it’s an older one with worn down teeth?
The front teeth are also worn down, but since it’s my first one I can’t compare it
IMG_7679.JPG
IMG_7695.JPG
IMG_7676.JPG

Here is my best warthog. 13 1/4" longest tusk. Taken in 2016 in Zimbabwe with Jack Lott's Watson Brothers' .500 nitro double rifle. Great fun with a nice rifle but a bit over powered for the task.
56269963_1855421971230798_3269222762324951040_n.jpg

TOM, I wish I could tell you but it was well over 20 years ago and I don't remember that detail. Maybe if I were the shooter I would remember, though I do know that he used a 300 Weatherby.
What rifle do you recommend for warthogs? They seem smaller than the European species.

Age can also be determind by the size of the warts and thickness of the tusks. You will never miss spotting a good one...
You can expect 3 to 4 inches of tusk inside the gum line

What rifle do you recommend for warthogs? They seem smaller than the European species.
The one you have in your hands at the time.....

The man The Myth The legend

IMG-20230307-WA0038-pig.jpg

When I was in RSA, I visited someone who had one warthog with 17” tusks and one with 16” hanging on his wall. That was like seeing a pair of 100 lb elephants.

I’m not much for pigs, but those could convert anyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross