Joining the 404 Jeffrey Cult

I'm going to shake hands with everyone at DSC this year and see if I can tell who's in the secret 404 society. Lol!
You will know by the index finger tickling your palm!

0F765C7C-B50F-4E90-96C1-37385033972C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
84Gs of Win760=2363 400g bullet at 100 meters
IMG_0992.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking rifle Toby. Just like the one on GB a while back that I had bid on but not enough. I have no need of one and have had two, a CZ and a Ruger No. 1 custom, both shot superbly. It is a classic.

I'd settle for knowing how the rifle was attached to the car doors so that it didn't fall, scratching both the rifle and the care.

I had to sight two rifles in this last week one a friends Sako .416 Rigby, the other a CZ .404 J. Guess which one I liked the best!
Between my wife and myself, we own four. Two CZs, One Rigby which was rebored by Rigby to .404J. The last is an original Jefferies (restocked)?
.404J + Woodleigh Hydro Shocks, you cannot go wrong!

Toby, I know this is going to sound arrogant, but none of the loads mentioned in this thread comes close to Von Gruff's accuracy load. That being 84 Grs of H 4350 pushing a 400 Gr. Woodleigh PP in his case or a Swift A Frame in mine yielding 2300 FPS. Lots of different guys and rifles all getting sub MOA for three cold bore shots. BTW I now own two of these bad boys, a CZ and a converted Mod 70. Both are a joy to shoot. The Winchester and corresponding target can be seen at https://www.africahunting.com/threads/my-plain-jane-has-a-heart-of-gold.47271/

Toby, I know this is going to sound arrogant, but none of the loads mentioned in this thread comes close to Von Gruff's accuracy load. That being 84 Grs of H 4350 pushing a 400 Gr. Woodleigh PP in his case or a Swift A Frame in mine yielding 2300 FPS. Lots of different guys and rifles all getting sub MOA for three cold bore shots. BTW I now own two of these bad boys, a CZ and a converted Mod 70. Both are a joy to shoot. The Winchester and corresponding target can be seen at https://www.africahunting.com/threads/my-plain-jane-has-a-heart-of-gold.47271/
That Winchester of your does shoot well! I hope my rifle shoots like that for sure! If I like the rifle, and decide to reload for it, I'll try the load you mentioned. Thanks for the info!

I built one on a Ruger RMS and sold it to another AH member, found I missed having that classic to shoot so I am currently building one on a Bauska BBK02 action. Need to do the final fitting of the stock, cerakote the steel, and bed the action. Should have it done within the month.

Yours is a nice looking rifle that has another buff written all over it.

Dave, please keep us posted on this project of yours.

Congrats on the 404. Nice find. I have a 404 Mod 70 conversion in the oven and should see it in the coming weeks.
Ed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go789click

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois