John Sharp

I would imagine he is a bit more careful around those snakes after nearly losing his life to one. We saw lots of them in Namibia in 2017. Weird looking snake, short and fat.
and VERY DEADLY!!!i killed one on our first safari with blaaukrantz in 2002.

John Sharp came to an Africa Show in Calgary a few years ago. I had just arrived and was in the foyer. From the room where the outfitters were set up walks a man wearing a headband, long greying hair and a sleeveless shirt. IIRC the weather was about -20C at the time LOL. He was immediately recognizable from the Courtney boots ads as the legendary John Sharp.

I really wanted to talk to him, just to say hi if nothing else, but he answered his cell phone at that time. I gave his booth a wide berth as I know what it is like to have tire kickers (I have no reasonable likelihood of ever affording a buffalo hunt with John) take up your time when at a show trying to sell hunts.

I regret that now, especially after I have read his book.

If you have not read John's book, you really need to get a copy and read it. There are few men like John left walking this earth.

I really wanted to talk to him, just to say hi if nothing else, but he answered his cell phone at that time. I gave his booth a wide berth as I know what it is like to have tire kickers (I have no reasonable likelihood of ever affording a buffalo hunt with John) take up your time when at a show trying to sell hunts.

If you have not read John's book, you really need to get a copy and read it. There are few men like John left walking this earth.

Jim

I think it is great that you respected John's time. And your recognition of regret over passing by without stopping is totally understandable. But trust me...it was both his and your loss that you didn't stop.

I had a chance to visit with a pretty well known/respected PH, who hunts Tanzania, in Dallas last month. He told me a John Sharp story that forms the basis for my opinion above.

He was a 20ish year old kid when he decided he wanted to be a PH. He said he went to one of the big shows (I think he said SCI) and talked to every PH he could get in front of. His approach was to introduce himself, tell the PH that he too wanted to be a PH, and ask could they talk to him and give him advice about how to do it.

Virtually every PH blew him off...they all had better things to do with their time - namely, try to book hunts.

A very few would give him even the time of day, but he said John Sharp took time and talked with him about his dreams.

This was nearly 20 years ago and I could tell that experience still means something to him to this day.

Don't scratch John off your list! It would be both your and his loss! Time is fleeting, and waits for no man. Make a plan now. :)

Tim

I just left our new mega gun store/indoor shooting range and lo and behold there stood the legend himself, John Sharp. I must have visited with him for an hour. He was very impressive, and seemed like a genuinely nice guy, He will be selling his book Facing Down Fear in the store tomorrow from 10-2pm so I'll run back over there and pick up a copy or two. If someone is looking for a copy, let me know and we'll see how to get you one while he's here.

Question: Is there a more certifiable badasss than African PH John Sharp?
I just finished the book. One of the best I have ever read. Could not put it down. Read it in one weekend. Highly recommend it!!!

I really do not think any of you will ever meet a nicer or more professional hunter than John Sharp. I have never talked to anyone who ever hunted with John and came home disappointed or that would not recommend him.

Just one thing the steering on his FJ47 could still use a little work!

I have talked to John a few times at shows, and read his book. A very nice guy and believes in good service to his clients. And supports conservation 110%.

i like his dogs.and they liked him,that says alot.

i like his dogs.and they liked him,that says alot.
Dogs are usually a damn good judge of character and usually a hell of lot easier to get along with than most folks!

John Sharp came to an Africa Show in Calgary a few years ago. I had just arrived and was in the foyer. From the room where the outfitters were set up walks a man wearing a headband, long greying hair and a sleeveless shirt. IIRC the weather was about -20C at the time LOL. He was immediately recognizable from the Courtney boots ads as the legendary John Sharp.

Thank you sir for your very kind words - I really do appreciate what you have written.
If we ever meet again, please come over for a chat - I am always available to talk to anyone, not only those who want to buy hunts.

That is true.

In the moment I read his famous book also and I had contact with him via internet (a glory to the modern times) for an little interview (witch I use for an great, upcomming article about him in an german hunting journal).

Thanks for chiming in here John, really enjoyed the book and I wish you continued success.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg