Jaguarundi Sighted in Texas!

See, here is what Antis will never understand. This is a forum made by, made for, and filled with hunters and not ONE person is saying a word about shooting this beautiful animal. Do you know why? Because contrary to popular opinion we are, indeed, conversationalists. We love nature, we love seeing things we have never seen before and learning all about them. Not to hunt them, just to know them. Threads like this, which are filled with wonder and a thirst for knowledge, are what people need to see. Of course, ignorance is often stronger than fact. Still, beautiful sighting and thank you so much for sharing!

See, here is what Antis will never understand. This is a forum made by, made for, and filled with hunters and not ONE person is saying a word about shooting this beautiful animal. Do you know why? Because contrary to popular opinion we are, indeed, conversationalists. We love nature, we love seeing things we have never seen before and learning all about them. Not to hunt them, just to know them. Threads like this, which are filled with wonder and a thirst for knowledge, are what people need to see. Of course, ignorance is often stronger than fact. Still, beautiful sighting and thank you so much for sharing!

Thank you for your comments, well said @Eventually_Africa. That is what I really enjoy about this group, respectful, insightful and informative. I wish there more people like us!

Game camera up for over two weeks now and no further sightings. We’re staying with it in case the cat returns.

In the norther part of Argentina, some men found a boa constrictor wrestling with a yaguarundi, having the latter the worst part of it.

They intervened and help to realese the feline unharmed.

The yaguarundi occur in diferent colors, from greyish brown to dark as in the pictures.

(I have no credit for the pictures; I just upload them for knowledge purposes)
yag2.jpg

yag1.jpg

Thanks for posting the photo and video. We occasionally see these little cats here in SE Arizona.

Here's hoping we get some jaguars on our side one day

Jaguars (and ocelots) are still reported ocassionally in SE Arizona in the Santa Rita Mtns, the Huachuca Mtns, and the Chiricahua Mtns. These are rugged wilderness areas adjacent to the Mexican border.

Just googled them. They are native to southern Texas to mid Argentina and are making a comeback in Texas. About 3.5 to 4 feet long from nose to tip of tail and 24 inches at the shoulder. They look something like a miniature cougar. Color range brown to dark gray.

Hopefully,...Being on the endangered species list and a novelty, these cats will only be observed by hunters with cameras who only want to add seeing and photo'ing these cats as an added bonus/ interesting part to a hunt report.

I had heard of jagarundi sightings in South Texas, but this is the first video & pics I've seen. Thanks for posting! I grew up in Corpus Christi and fished in Baffin Bay, among other spots, as a youth.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/species/jag/

My wife & I saw one in the wild in Belize in 2003 on a reef & ruins vacation (we're scuba divers), at one of the ruins sites,and in the Belize Zoo, which is unlike any other zoo we've ever visited.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 2.20.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 2.20.30 PM.png
    995.2 KB · Views: 117
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 2.20.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 2.20.32 PM.png
    536.3 KB · Views: 116
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 2.20.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 2.20.33 PM.png
    537.8 KB · Views: 86
Wow! Great spotting by your daughter!

screenshot.png
Not to rain on the parade, but the jaguarundi has a small weasel like head with small rounded ears and a long flowing tail as long as it's body. I have watched the video over and over and see no evidence of the tail and in my opinion the head and ears are too large to be a jaguarundi. My thoughts are it's the shaded side of a very dark Bobcat.
I think I would send the video to a TPWD Biologist and get their opinion, because this is just mine.
I've hunted South Texas since the mid 1980's and have never seen one or know of anyone that has...just saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg